Is med school an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plainusername

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering my third year of undergrad this fall with a major in Molecular Bioscience and Biotechnology, and I'm planning on minoring in German and Chemistry. Until now, the plan has been to get a MPH in epidemiology/infectious disease/tropical medicine and then possibly a PhD. I obviously want to work in ID but lately I've been thinking that for what I want to do I would need an MD, but I feel like this late in the game it's no longer an option for me.

I have a 3.7-something GPA. I've never gotten anything lower than a B, though I have a few of them. Because of the APs I took in high school I didn't have to take any general education classes except a writing seminar and philosophy 101. I've been told that med schools won't take AP credit, but they also want you to have a background in the humanities. I have credit for Bio, physics B, Euro, psych, and Lit. Though I've taken plenty of bio and chem, I don't have any college level English or physics, and I don't know if I'll have room in my schedule to take a full year of both before I graduate. I also don't really have any extracurriculars, though I'm starting research with a professor this fall, and I expect to do a study abroad program next summer in Africa, with a lot of clinical work. I do have quite a few volunteer hours at the hospital from when I was in high school. I'm assuming that there's basically no chance that I'll get into med school.

Should I apply anyways? If I go onto an MPH would I be able to go to med school afterwards? How would having just an MPH or a PhD or MD change my career outlook? I'd like to be working on outbreaks and emerging diseases around the world, on the "front lines" so to speak.

Members don't see this ad.

Simple answer. It is always an option if you are willing to work for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Take extra time to start volunteering and shadowing whenever possible. Look into continuing medical education conferences or seminars where you can meet important folks and network with them. Where there's a will, there's a way.

you have a great gpa so of course it is an option.

after you finish undergrad you could start your masters in public health. as you do your mph, take the per-requisites for medical school that you may not have completed at your university:

2 semesters of general bio
2 semesters of general chemistry
2 semesters or organic chemistry
2 semesters of general physics
2 semesters of physics
2 semesters of calculus

also, while working on your mph and per-requisites, do some research, clinical experience and shadowing done.

you could also skip the mph and do a special masters program or post-bacc for medical school instead. depending on the program you select, it may help you take the
per-requisites you missed, prepare for the mcat, and possibly link you to a medical school after graduation.