Is med school for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmart13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've heard of some people in medical school getting a couple of "C"s here and there in college and still managing to get into some fine medical schools, granted they had a competitive GPA and MCAT score and other things to add on their resume. This is what I'm looking at right now.

Bio I- B
Bio II- B
Gen Chem- B
Gen Chem II- C
Physics I- C
Physics II- (haven't taken yet, gotta get that A)
OChem I/II - taking this in the Fall

I know I really need to ace OChem and my other physics. My GPA is currently a 3.0, but I know I have time to get that to at least a 3.5 before I graduate university. I'm currently at a great university and have come along way. I first started off college with a 2.3 and continue to make progress. When I first took Chem I, I got an F. Retook it, got a B. Will medical schools see my improvement? Sorry for the long post, just slightly freaking out over here!

Members don't see this ad.

So i've heard of some people in medical school getting a couple of "C"s here and there in college and still managing to get into some fine medical schools, granted they had a competitive GPA and MCAT score and other things to add on their resume. This is what I'm looking at right now.

Bio I- B
Bio II- B
Gen Chem- B
Gen Chem II- C
Physics I- C

I know I really need to ace OChem and my other physics. My GPA is currently a 3.0, but I know I have time to get that to at least a 3.5 before I graduate university. I'm currently at a great university and have come along way. I first started off college with a 2.3 and continue to make progress. When I first took Chem I, I got an F. Retook it, got a B. Will medical schools see my improvement? Sorry for the long post, just slightly freaking out over here!

Medical schools certainly consider the trending of your GPA. That being said, even though you 'have time' to get at least a 3.5, can you make it happen? You need to turn a mix of Bs and Cs into straight A's for your remaining semesters. If you can actually deliver while getting a solid MCAT score and get into med school, then yes you can handle med school. You need to be able to adapt as a medical student and professional, change your study habits, stop freaking out on SDN and focus on improving your grades.

Bio I- B
Bio II- B
Gen Chem- B
Gen Chem II- C
Physics I- C

Keep working hard at improving your GPA to a 3.5s/c. Also prepare adequately for the MCAT and aim for a high score to show that you can handle the work. Right now I would focus on DO if I were in your situation because of the retake.

Also it would be beneficial to you to start volunteering in the medical field to see if this is the career that you most certainly want to pursue. You asked if med school was right for you. Sometimes we get wrapped up in trying to ascertain a certain GPA or MCAT score, and soon after realize that you really don't want to become a physician. Do some research and talk to some doctors to see if this field is right for you. Make sure at the end of the day that you can handle the academic and mental rigors of medical school and being a physician. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am currently volunteering at a hospital now and love it. I know this is what I have always wanted to do since I was 10. I know it's going to be a long and difficult journey, but this is what I love. As for my study habits, my friends know me as the person to be around when you want to get stuff done lol so I am always studying. I think sometimes I need a slight break from studying and just relax a bit to clear my mind. I'm currently taking anatomy and physiology during summer school along with physics II. It has been tough, but manageable.

i had a 3.19 and 33 mcat at the time of my application submission and I got into 2 MD schools. not a urm. i had a high upward curve in gpa last two years of college and made sure my essays/interviews were perfect. grades arent everything, if you can get your gpa to 3.5 you will be in great shape. unless you are from one of those crappy states like Cal

i had a 3.19 and 33 mcat at the time of my application submission and I got into 2 MD schools. not a urm. i had a high upward curve in gpa last two years of college and made sure my essays/interviews were perfect. grades arent everything, if you can get your gpa to 3.5 you will be in great shape. unless you are from one of those crappy states like Cal

Wow, that's amazing. Congrats to you! And no, def not from Cali haha. Thanks for the advice and support!