Is medical school an option for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuzco2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my facts:
Bachelor's degree in finance
Seeking second bachelor's in biology
Graduated with a 3.45
Currently have a 3.41 in my second degree
MCAT 35
Shadowed a doctor for 6 months (still shadowing)
Volunteer at a hospital (wound care-filing pictures and making sure charts are complete)
Hospice (just started)
Research lab (just started)
Entomology Club-treasurer
Pre-health Club-secretary

It is hard to raise my GPA because I have so many credits.

Do I have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your BCPM GPA? What are your MCAT subscores? Did you work for awhile before going back for the second degree? Do you assist with the wound care at the hospital and how long have you had that position? Hours of shadowing and speicalty? What is your timeline for applying?

B-12
P-12
V-11
sgpa 3.4

I just complete charts at the hospital. I file pictures and make sure that the charts are signed. I have done that for six months. I worked in the waiting room ICU and Surgical for 6 months before that. I have 96 hours of shadowing and counting. She is a family medicine doctor. I was thinking about applying this summer, but I don't know if it would be wiser to wait for next year and work on strengthening my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sgpa is more of a constant, somewhat on an incline. This summer I am going to work in a hospice, so two and a half months. I am 24. I live in New Mexico.

I live in New Mexico.
This i find a big plus for you. UNM heavily accepts instate applicants. Your gpa is below median (3.6). However, your MCAT is well above average (28 or 29).

I guess I am wondering if I should wait a year to apply or apply this summer. Also, should I just go to an SMP program, if so where are they? Any good website suggestions? Should I apply to DO schools only? Stuff like that, just want some helpful suggestions....Thank you.

I guess I am wondering if I should wait a year to apply or apply this summer. Also, should I just go to an SMP program, if so where are they? Any good website suggestions? Should I apply to DO schools only? Stuff like that, just want some helpful suggestions....Thank you.

If I were you, I'd go for it if the LORs were readily available. If you won't be able to submit until a couple months from now, wait until next cycle and continue building your ECs. I suggest applying to a mix of MDs and DOs. I don't think you need an SMP.

I think your MCAT score is high enough to compensate for the lower GPAs at some schools, but your ECs are weaker than average.

A typical applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience, and you have ~six months. Your shadowing, however, is excellent.

If you've just started the research, it won't help you much this cycle. You do have some leadership though. I don't see teaching mentioned.

You would know your state school best, but most med schools want to see a certain amount of clinical experience which you may no meet. Waiting a year so you have a decent amount of research, the usual amount of clinical experience, and maybe some nonmedical/noncampus, hands-on community service besides, would greatly strengthen your position. I think it would benefit you to have as many other oparts of your application be in optimal condition, when one part is weak. I think you'll have a more successful application cycle if you wait a year.

Alternatively, you could apply this summer, and send in periodic update letters to schools about your ongoing involvement in research, a clinical arena, and nonmedical community service and hope it will sway them to accept you.

I am actually an academic coach at the university. I mentor undecided students and help them choose a major. I also have over 100 hours volunteering at the hospital. I agree that it would be better to wait a year, in that my chances might increase. I am just wondering if it would be a total waste of money to apply now. I do have really good letters of rec, the doctor that is writing me the LOR is an alumni. She also has a deal with UNM, training their residents. I don't know if that helps, but its cool.

Last edited:
Do you have a prehealth advisor who could give you input on the amount of clinical experience that your state school likes to see? And how much research is desirable? In my state (and others I know of) if you had only six months of clinical you'd be totally wasting your money.

Or the doctor alumni might know.

I would apply now.

I think your MCAT will cover your GPA pretty easily. I also think your ECs are good enough to get you instate....

I would call your instate school and work them hard to see where you stand. Make yourself more a face than a name there....

I think you would be wasting a yr if you waited. I think you have a good shot now.