Is medicine for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentase

Powered by tooth knockn
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I have been thinking about what I want to do after college. I been thinking about dentistry( hence the name) but it just isnt the fit for me. The environment seems depressing and I do not want to work with the oral cavity. Every other health care field seems not satisfying. I thought about medicine and really seem to enjoy it. Mind you I am a person who likes to learn and do new things, so seeing as I can learn more and do way more in medicine seems compelling enough. Plus a hospital environment is not depressing and it seems enjoyable.I will shadow a physician for the first time this week and see if I enjoy it.

My question is what made you realize medicine was right for you in regard to other health care fields. I really do enjoy applying what I learn in classes mainly applicable classes like physiology and it feels great. I would think medicine correlates to that satisfaction. Also no one I know is a doctor but I know some pre-meds who just seem annoying and I question there desire for med schools. I feel as if it going to be a long journey if I do decide to practice medicine and sometimes I question if I am capable.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to make the world a better place? Do you want to alleviate suffering? Do you like to solve challenging problems while working under pressure? Can you handle the responsibility of another persons life in your care? Can you handle inordinate amounts of BS while working long stressful hours?

When you shadow a physician you will know if medicine is for you.
As for being capable...becoming a doctor obviously requires a certain baseline of intelligence, but being a hard worker is more important than being a genius.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to make the world a better place? Do you want to alleviate suffering? Do you like to solve challenging problems while working under pressure? Can you handle the responsibility of another persons life in your care? Can you handle inordinate amounts of BS while working long stressful hours?
Those questions you asked can leave a current medical student to hesitate when answering. Obviously I cant do all that with limited knowldge I have but for some question yea I deal with bs all the time lol. I wouldnt say treating a patient would make a world a better place it might help people. Yea I would like to alleviate suffering.

There was a similar forum topic earlier that you might find helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rent-health-profession.1122716/#post-16227356

Those questions you asked can leave a current medical student to hesitate when answering. Obviously I cant do all that with limited knowldge I have but for some question yea I deal with bs all the time lol. I wouldnt say treating a patient would make a world a better place it might help people. Yea I would like to alleviate suffering.

Questioning and doubting is going to happen in anything you decide to pursue, not just medicine. And you'll never like everything. I think forcing yourself to like everything about something you're doing will only push you towards disliking it more.

I find healthcare interesting because it (at the risk of sounding cliche) is ubiquitous. Our health impacts our behaviors and vice versa, even things we're not even aware of. To me, medicine would allow for a really unique, in-depth understanding of managing a person's health that, after thinking about other fields, I couldn't get elsewhere.

That's my basic reason, but it doesn't have to be yours. Keep on it and see what you do or don't like and then decide what really stands out to you.

Good luck with your shadowing! Are you planning on shadowing a dentist as well by any chance?

There was a similar forum topic earlier that you might find helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rent-health-profession.1122716/#post-16227356

Questioning and doubting is going to happen in anything you decide to pursue, not just medicine. And you'll never like everything. I think forcing yourself to like everything about something you're doing will only push you towards disliking it more.

I find healthcare interesting because it (at the risk of sounding cliche) is ubiquitous. Our health impacts our behaviors and vice versa, even things we're not even aware of. To me, medicine would allow for a really unique, in-depth understanding of managing a person's health that, after thinking about other fields, I couldn't get elsewhere.

That's my basic reason, but it doesn't have to be yours. Keep on it and see what you do or don't like and then decide what really stands out to you.

Good luck with your shadowing! Are you planning on shadowing a dentist as well by any chance?

Not planning on shadowing a dentist because I like the whole body and the oral cavity just seems boring for me. I would much rather try to work with the entire body. Plus I do not like the work environment either or what they do, to be honest I do not even know why I thought about dentistry, maybe the life of a dentist seemed more appealing. But after realizing something I think I will need to shadow a physician to see if I would enjoy it, and dentistry just does not seem like a good fit for me.