Is Medicine really full of Wealthy upper middle class people??? (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your parents combined income?

• 200k+

Votes: 57 23.8%
  • 150k+

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • 100k+

Votes: 50 20.8%
  • 90k+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 80k+

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • 70k+

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 60k+

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 50k+

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • 40k+

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 30K or below

Votes: 35 14.6%

• Total voters
Nearly all of the poll responses overlap with at least one other. Terrible poll design, 0/10, rejected, reapply broadly next thread cycle.

:p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nearly all of the poll responses overlap with at least one other. Terrible poll design, 0/10, rejected, reapply broadly next thread cycle.

Haha, yeah, it should be 14% below $30k, then 86% $40k+:laugh:

It really pisses me off that most people have no debt going into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people get merit scholarships (university and private) in undergrad you know.

Reactions: 7 users

Was wondering why he didn't use ranges (i.e. salary ranges from the IRS for taxes, for example)

Reactions: 1 user
It shouldn't... There are some people who pay their way thru college by working full time... I was one of them (2-year at a CC and 2 1/2 year at a state university)... But boy that was hard! Started med school with no debt...

Reactions: 2 users
The real question should be:

...did your parents contribute more than 3k in cash or tuition assistance a year..

That would really help you figure out what you want to know (if you were the only one who had to do it on their own).

You get pissed off that some people don't have undergrad loans? Tough crap, life isn't fair. If you get that worked up about something as small as loans for education I can't imagine what your feelings are about the rest of the real world.

Reactions: 5 users
You get pissed off that some people don't have undergrad loans? Tough crap, life isn't fair. If you get that worked up about something as small as loans for education I can't imagine what your feelings are about the rest of the real world.
Besides the fact, SES disadvantaged students often benefit from loan-free programs to a greater extent than middle class. At my school, if you didn't have loans you were either uber rich or you were poor.
I was SES disadvantaged when I went to college, and I ended up paying $2k/yr instead of $50-something thousand.

He better get used to hearing that phrase a lot in med school and beyond. You don't get everything you want and how you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
The median family income reported by medical school matriculant respondents has increased from $50,000 in 1987 to $100,000 in 2006 (Source 1).

59% of students admitted to medical school had a combined parental income of $100,000 or more (Source 2). But only 6.61% of all Americans have a personal income (though, not combined parental income) of $100,000+ (S0urce 3).

There is some degree of inflation to account for in my first point (1987 to 2006), but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that median combined parental income is around $110,000-$120,000 for the 2013 cycle medical school matriculants.

So in conclusion, yes, medicine really is full of folks who come from upper middle class families. Honestly, this is not that surprising. Money buys you a better standard of living/quality of life, better schooling, better test prep, more opportunities, etc etc.

Source 1: https://www.aamc.org/download/102338/data/aibvol8no1.pdf
Source 2: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/imageuploadedbysdn-mobile1327294892-182728-jpg.18448/
Source 3: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/cpstables/032011/perinc/new01_001.htm

Some people get merit scholarships (university and private) in undergrad you know.

I had a merit scholarship and paid out of pocket and I still ended up with debt from loans because none of my loans are under my parent's name lol

Unfortunately not everyone gets lucky and has full-ride scholarships, nonetheless I was still lucky because I knew ppl graduating with >50k debt after undergrad...

I had a merit scholarship and paid out of pocket and I still ended up with debt from loans because none of my loans are under my parent's name lol

Unfortunately not everyone gets lucky and has full-ride scholarships, nonetheless I was still lucky because I knew ppl graduating with >50k debt after undergrad...
I think I am about the epitome of luck on that front...
Applied to a school, got in, figured I couldn't go due to cost.
BOOM! That year they started a 'no-loan' financial aid policy. $55k became $2k instantly, without debt (and they bought textbooks for me, and paid travel).
The next year, admissions to my school was even steeper due to the new finaid policy.
The following year, recession hit and no more 'no-loan' finaid...except for my class year and the one after me, who were grandfathered in for all 4yrs :D

I think I am about the epitome of luck on that front...
Applied to a school, got in, figured I couldn't go due to cost.
BOOM! That year they started a 'no-loan' financial aid policy. $55k became $2k instantly, without debt (and they bought textbooks for me, and paid travel).
The next year, admissions to my school was even steeper due to the new finaid policy.
The following year, recession hit and no more 'no-loan' finaid...except for my class year and the one after me, who were grandfathered in for all 4yrs :D

That is supremely lucky! lol shoot until I found out that you could rent books I was spending a ton of money on that alone lol

I'm only relatively lucky haha but I also worked the entire time I was in college and commuted an hour instead of living on campus so I was more able to afford it than most of my friends who ended up dropping out or postponing school.

That is supremely lucky! lol shoot until I found out that you could rent books I was spending a ton of money on that alone lol

I'm only relatively lucky haha but I also worked the entire time I was in college and commuted an hour instead of living on campus so I was more able to afford it than most of my friends who ended up dropping out or postponing school.
They let us rent them at first, as well as giving a small allowance for them. They eventually decided to just purchase our texts for us (brand new!) so we could keep them as references. I was upset at first, because this meant that they stopped giving us an allowance for them, and since I'd been able to rent them all, the allowance was a big hit to my finaid. Then I decided that owning textbooks ruled! And then, of course, somebody stole all of my textbooks while I was moving out. :annoyed:

I look at my classmates (most, including myself seem to come from upper middle class or higher families) and I would say yes. As much as schools want diversity and applicants from wide economic and cultural backgrounds, it's just not a fair process I think.

Students with a wealthier support system can focus on things like volunteering, grades, and other things involved in building an app, rather than supporting themselves and paying for tuition/other necessities. As a result, often times they look better on paper because of it.

Add to that the money required for things like MCAT prep classes and the application process and I am not at all surprised that most medical students seem to come from at least middle class or upper middle class families.
It's unfortunate as there are some very hardworking applicants who may not have the best stats or ECs due to economic issues. I know schools try to keep an eye for these applicants and give them some extra leeway, but I can't help but feel some or many of them fall through the cracks.

They let us rent them at first, as well as giving a small allowance for them. They eventually decided to just purchase our texts for us (brand new!) so we could keep them as references. I was upset at first, because this meant that they stopped giving us an allowance for them, and since I'd been able to rent them all, the allowance was a big hit to my finaid. Then I decided that owning textbooks ruled! And then, of course, somebody stole all of my textbooks while I was moving out. :annoyed:

lol that is unfortunate. The only one I kept was my freshman bio book because no one wanted to buy it since a new edition was made after the release of that one. My school wanted to offer me $12 after I paid almost $200 for it...I'll just keep it in case I ever need it again lol

I look at my classmates (most, including myself seem to come from upper middle class or higher families) and I would say yes. As much as schools want diversity and applicants from wide economic and cultural backgrounds, it's just not a fair process I think.

Students with a wealthier support system can focus on things like volunteering, grades, and other things involved in building an app, rather than supporting themselves and paying for tuition/other necessities. As a result, often times they look better on paper because of it.

Add to that the money required for things like MCAT prep classes and the application process and I am not at all surprised that most medical students seem to come from at least middle class or upper middle class families.
It's unfortunate as there are some very hardworking applicants who may not have the best stats or ECs due to economic issues. I know schools try to keep an eye for these applicants and give them some extra leeway, but I can't help but feel some or many of them fall through the cracks.
I bought secondhand MCAT study books and studied hard and got a 40. I could afford classes but didn't take any. How do I fit into all of this?

I was never poor, but the combined income definitely never got in the six figure range, so middle class range I guess. Unlike a lot of people in medicine, I dont have anyone on either side of the family who has a professional degree. That isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, after all, you can have an amazing living working other jobs too!

So, while there are people who come from wealthy backgrounds, there are plenty who do not!

So far about 55% of voters indicated parental income of $100k+.

I bought secondhand MCAT study books and studied hard and got a 40. I could afford classes but didn't take any. How do I fit into all of this?

I did the same and got half your score haha I ended up having to save up money to take a prep class. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention in class or something but I simply didn't do well on my own. I don't think ppl are meaning to say that if you don't have money, then you're just SOL and destined to fail. But it certainly helps to not have to stress about money while going to school (it's a distraction.)

On a side note, I have met ppl who aren't doing sh** with their lives simply because they can piggy back on mommy and daddy's money and I know ppl who have overcome all obstacle being in positions worse than mine so I'm not sure what caused the difference, but in these cases it wasn't the money.

I wasn't sure how to vote on this poll. Currently my parents are at around $120K, but from my 0-18 years of age their income ranged from <30K to 100K.

MCAT classes were just one of many factors I mentioned. There's still cost of applications, traveling for interviews, and just the matter of having to work a job instead of doing medically relevant ECs.

You fit into someone who managed to study on your own and do well without classes. Nonetheless, for many people the classes do help and are an advantage for others.

And I didn't say that lack of resources or money always prevented a student from doing well or getting an acceptance (students still do), just that it makes it harder and in some cases it can keep a good applicant out of the pool.

Last edited:
That's 2008 data. The median has increased dramatically since then.
Im sure it has. I don't doubt you but I love to look at numbers and pretty graphs. Have a source?

Question 33 on the MSQ. I posted the link above. I think the median is around 120 now

Im sure it has. I don't doubt you but I love to look at numbers and pretty graphs. Have a source?
tion

As an international student, there is really no way that I know of that you can go to med school unless your parents are wealthy. My parents have spent 300K on my undergrad US education and are about to dole out 350K more for the next four year of med school. Not to mention the money required to apply and travel to interviews and hotels and such. Most, if not all, of the international students who attend US med schools have to be very hardworking, intelligent and also wealthy.

I keep hearing this, and I wonder if its true. If so, are poor people even more rare than minorities in med school? The school im attending has about 5 (other)black kids in the class and most of them seem well off.
Omg yes. I just started medical school, and my two roommates I'm pretty sure come from families that each make $500K+ a year. I love them so far though!

Everyone else seems potentially quite well off as well.

I feel like a freaking minority and I'm a white male. I grew up on 20-40k over the years growing up.

Reactions: 2 users
Omg yes. I just started medical school, and my two roommates I'm pretty sure come from families that each make $500K+ a year. I love them so far though!

I feel like a freaking minority and I'm a white male. I grew up on 20-40k over the years growing up.

Even white people should have reasons to be proud of themselves :)

Funny story...my undergrad actually acknowledged that you were a minority at their school if you were poor. Anyway, they had this preview weekend where everyone who was accepted came out and for poor people they actually paid for travel for the student and one parent, and housing for the parent (we were hosted by students). Well, turns out that the dates they invited me for were the 'minority preview' because poor = minority, I guess. It was just 1 extra day on the front end of the preview weekend, but for that one day, the few white people stuck out pretty blatantly (interesting reversal, that). It was a whole day of "wait, isn't this minority preview?" "I'm poor" "Oh...", though my favorite was when we were first trying to figure it out: "I'm poor...are you poor?"
Good intentions were had by all, but it was a bit awkward, especially since a lot of students at my school were stupid rich.

Funny story...my undergrad actually acknowledged that you were a minority at their school if you were poor. Anyway, they had this preview weekend where everyone who was accepted came out and for poor people they actually paid for travel for the student and one parent, and housing for the parent (we were hosted by students). Well, turns out that the dates they invited me for were the 'minority preview' because poor = minority, I guess. It was just 1 extra day on the front end of the preview weekend, but for that one day, the few white people stuck out pretty blatantly (interesting reversal, that). It was a whole day of "wait, isn't this minority preview?" "I'm poor" "Oh...", though my favorite was when we were first trying to figure it out: "I'm poor...are you poor?"
Good intentions were had by all, but it was a bit awkward, especially since a lot of students at my school were stupid rich.

Coming from a 80k household isn't exactly poor in the general sense. Now, if you are talking about a school that costs so much to attend...

Coming from a 80k household isn't exactly poor in the general sense. Now, if you are talking about a school that costs so much to attend...
I was in a 20-somethingk household at the time, though in all fairness by graduation we were in the 30s.
The school cost well over $50k/yr (it is currently $60k) and 50% of students' families are considered fully able to pay out of pocket, no loans.
For that school, I was poor.

I found a really cool calculator, not sure how reliable it is but it calculates what social class you fall into based on where you live:
http://www.hughcalc.org/midclass.php
http://www.hughcalc.org/midclass.php

Regardless of its accuracy, it's important to remember that the definition of "middle class," "wealthy," etc. differ by geographic location. For example, Connecticut's definition of middle class probably differs a lot from, say, Mississippi's.