Is Missouri a good vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeonMountaineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there aren't very many vet schools in the US, and I can imagine any vet school good enough to get accredited can be considered a good choice, but I was looking at Missouri, and its website didn't seem to have very much information on it at all. I know it's not a good idea to make a judgement on appearances, but I'm a little wary about putting my time and money into something that looks this shady. Does anyone have any experience with this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. They are a great school, and they do use VMCAS

2. I found that their website was a bit confusing when I applied, but it actually has more info than most when you actually find your way around it.

3. There is an entire Missouri thread for this years applicants that would probably offer you more info.

4. Adcoms are often on here, so calling schools shady or like a community college might not be your best bet.

Reactions: 9 users
Are you sure you were looking at University of Missouri? It is definitely on VMCAS. Their website looks dated but so do a lot of the vet school websites. I don't know why number of prerequisites would matter but they have the same ones as Penn. They're certainly not the only school that doesn't require some of the more specialized courses (cell bio, animal nutrition, animal science, etc).

In other words...this is a really strange question, and Mizzou is a great school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so...
Haha I hope so too!

Honestly (and yes I am a bit bias here)... judging an entire vet school on it's ability to produce competent vets based on it's pre-reqs and website design is a bit nonsensical, in my opinion.

I can assure you that Mizzou is a very good vet school and prepares you well to become a veterinarian, poor website design aside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I currently work at the MSPCA animal hospital in Massachusetts and we have students from Missouri for their clinical rotations and I've heard from many of the vets that those students are very intelligent, are able to grasp skills and new knowledge fast and are good at what they do. These vets have commented on how Missouri knows how to prepare their students....

Let's not forget about the HIGH passing rate on the NAVLE (100% in the past two years, 99% before then, and so on)...... Which I believe is ABOVE national average *flips hair*.... It could be from that EXTRA year of clinicals we get haha sorry but I am a now proud MIZZOU-EE :)

Do not base a school on their web appearance! You might just miss out on a great thing ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Every school sucks. The only good school is Harvard (it's DEFINITELY a vet school everybody, my cousin's mom told me!) and the prerequisite to get into THAT school is a DVM degree and a signed letter from the president that you've personally treated his Portuguese Water Dogs for super lupus. I also heard that their veterinarians resurrected Steve Jobs (people are animals too!) to do their site design himself. :p

All joking aside:

Pre-requisites don't mean much - they're basically some bare minimum knowledge that schools think will prepare you for a veterinary program. If you want to see a school with few prerequisites (possibly fewer than Mizzou), I invite you to take a look at CSU's list - it's pretty paltry as well. This means pretty much nothing about either program. Schools know what they want and honestly for any school prerequisites in general are fairly similar.

Don't worry too much about it (or the site design!). Frankly, based on a few of the vets I know, I would be dead impressed if any of them knew enough about a computer to even get a site running. Good site design can be nice, but remember that they're training you to be a veterinarian and the people in charge of a site's looks are usually either administrative or in a different department altogether.

Every school sucks. The only good school is Harvard (it's DEFINITELY a vet school everybody, my cousin's mom told me!) and the prerequisite to get into THAT school is a DVM degree and a signed letter from the president that you've personally treated his Portuguese Water Dogs for super lupus. I also heard that their veterinarians resurrected Steve Jobs (people are animals too!) to do their site design himself. :p

All joking aside:

Pre-requisites don't mean much - they're basically some bare minimum knowledge that schools think will prepare you for a veterinary program. If you want to see a school with few prerequisites (possibly fewer than Mizzou), I invite you to take a look at CSU's list - it's pretty paltry as well. This means pretty much nothing about either program. Schools know what they want and honestly for any school prerequisites in general are fairly similar.

Don't worry too much about it (or the site design!). Frankly, based on a few of the vets I know, I would be dead impressed if any of them knew enough about a computer to even get a site running. Good site design can be nice, but remember that they're training you to be a veterinarian and the people in charge of a site's looks are usually either administrative or in a different department altogether.

I've also been told Oxford has one and that they only let in 4.0 students. Lol. Also, this just in from like everyone, you don't need vet school. Can't you become a vet at a tech school?

Reactions: 1 users
I've also been told Oxford has one and that they only let in 4.0 students. Lol. Also, this just in from like everyone, you don't need vet school. Can't you become a vet at a tech school?
Actually, you're mistaken. Oxford requires a 5.0 GPA, 71647593 veterinary experience hours, and a 155th %ile GRE to even be eligible to apply. ;)

Actually, you're mistaken. Oxford requires a 5.0 GPA, 71647593 veterinary experience hours, and a 155th %ile GRE to even be eligible to apply. ;)

Oh good, I have exactly that many hours. I was hearing rumors they increased it to 71647594 hours this year and I was worried.

Actually, you're mistaken. Oxford requires a 5.0 GPA, 70000 veterinary experience hours, and a 155th %ile GRE to even be eligible to apply. ;)

I applied there and got waitlisted. The reason? In my interview they found out I hadn't performed any surgeries during my time shadowing :(

I applied there and got waitlisted. The reason? In my interview they found out I hadn't performed any surgeries during my time shadowing :(
Yes, surgery experience is a must for the DVM admissions! I can't believe you didn't know that ahead of time...

OMG I'm in love with your new avatar and little signature thingy... My pet snake is named Haku after that movie! My fav

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you want to see a really poorly designed vet school website, check out Tuskegee's. I literally had to resort to Google searches for the pre-reqs because they're so difficult to find on the website.

Mm, yes... I love Spirited Away. :love:
I love all the studio Ghibli movies. I watched ponyo last night and howls moving castle right now :D I play them before bed usually just to have something to listen to! I've seen spirited away hundreds of times. Literally. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
I love all the studio Ghibli movies. I watched ponyo last night and howls moving castle right now :D I play them before bed usually just to have something to listen to! I've seen spirited away hundreds of times. Literally. Lol
We had a cat patient named Caliburn (apparently another name for Excalibur) at work the other day, I kept wanting to call him Calcifer :laugh:

We have two Mizzou grads at the clinic I work for and they are definitely some of the best and most competent veterinarians I have ever met!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Mizzou is my top choice school for the reasons people above mentioned.
-You get 2 years of classroom learning and then 2 years of clinicals. I can read about the proper way to perform a physical exam all day every day, but until I do it, I'm not going to fully grasp it.
-The students love this school, like a weirdly ridiculous amount of love. Everyone has school pride of course, put peruse some of the threads on here and you'll see what I'm talking about.
-It produces AWESOME vets. A NAVLE pass rate of 100% is super impressive. They're obviously doing something right.

Their website certainly is not the greatest, but I've seen worse. You kind of just have to play around with it.

Am I the only one that doesn't put much stock in navle pass percentages? I mean, I attend one that gets 100% on the regular but I don't think that makes it "better" at all.

I dunno. We'll see what my opinion is after the navle but I've always viewed it as one of those hurdles that you just gotta get through and isn't necessarily a predictor of the quality of vet you'll be.

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one that doesn't put much stock in navle pass percentages? I mean, I attend one that gets 100% on the regular but I don't think that makes it "better" at all.

I dunno. We'll see what my opinion is after the navle but I've always viewed it as one of those hurdles that you just gotta get through and isn't necessarily a predictor of the quality of vet you'll be.
Yeah I would put "100% pass rate" and "provides a great education that produces awesome vets" as different categories. That pass rate is nice because you know they're probably doing something right in teaching their students what they need to know to pass, which is good to kmow as a potential student. But that is almost entirely separate from producing good vets.

Last edited:
Well I mean it doesn't matter if you get it at a community college, it's only a 2 year degree anyway! And sure, it may appear sketchy with no school present whatsoever and all, and just being handed a degree after two years of non classes, but hey, it gets you a DVM, yeah?

But really, great school overall. If you are interested in doing 2 years of clinics instead of 1, this is 1 of 2 schools that has a 2 + 2 program. Sketchiness is a really interesting term based off the website, and came off slightly offensive (as did the community college thing but you know). Mizzou has one person that handles all of admissions (unlike other schools that have a team of people...), so the website may not be the most fantastic thing in the world, but everything you need is there.

Yeah I would put "100% pass rate" and "provides a great education that produces awesome vets" as different categories. That pass rate is nice because you know they're probably doing something right in teaching their students what they need to know to pass, which is good to kmow as a potentail student. But that is almost entirely separate from producing good vets.
If all the students are passing the NAVLE, it shows they are being taught morethan just what they need to know to pass; it shows that they're being taught how to think like a vet. If you don't pass the NAVLE, are you goingto be a bad vet (when you do eventually pass it)? Not at all. I haven't taken the NAVLE so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I feel like getting every single student to pass on the first try says that they're able to retain what they're taught and think like a doctor.

If all the students are passing the NAVLE, it shows they are being taught morethan just what they need to know to pass; it shows that they're being taught how to think like a vet. If you don't pass the NAVLE, are you goingto be a bad vet (when you do eventually pass it)? Not at all. I haven't taken the NAVLE so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I feel like getting every single student to pass on the first try says that they're able to retain what they're taught and think like a doctor.
I defer to those who have actually taken it in this case.

The NAVLE doesn't have you "thinking like a doctor", in my opinion. To me, it tests remote knowledge that you have hopefully memorized over the 3 and 1/2 years you have been in vet school.

Also, passing rates vary due to many factors, you can teach the right things as a school and even give hints and tips to what type of stuff might be on the NAVLE but if students don't take the effort to study for boards, they may not pass. And I know a few in my class that decided to just not study or not study much.... and you can kind of guess how well that went down.

I defer to those who have actually taken it in this case.
Yeah, good point. I don't really know all the ins and outs of the NAVLE, so I could be completely missing something.

I think NAVLE scores aren't the best indicator at how "great" the school is because there is a significant individual component to it. You can go to the "best" school ever that teaches directly for the NAVLE but if you are a bad test taker or don't study at all then you can fail it, and vice versa. I mean it's nice to have and they definitely prepare us very well for it, but I do think it's a bit of a "buzzword" that admissions throw around to prospective students, similar to another school that would throw around "1st semester clinical skills!!1!"

Just checked. Over $600 for 2016-2017 if you're taking it in the US. I would hate to be one of the unlucky ones who don't pass on the first go-around. :scared:

Let's just make it through this first year before guaging that lol

I move a month from tomorrow. Classes start in like a month and five days :nailbiting:

The NAVLE doesn't have you "thinking like a doctor", in my opinion. To me, it tests remote knowledge that you have hopefully memorized over the 3 and 1/2 years you have been in vet school.

Also, passing rates vary due to many factors, you can teach the right things as a school and even give hints and tips to what type of stuff might be on the NAVLE but if students don't take the effort to study for boards, they may not pass. And I know a few in my class that decided to just not study or not study much.... and you can kind of guess how well that went down.
Preach. The NAVLE tests your ability to remember random stuff, make educated guesses and play the odds (like most other multiple choice exams). Oh, and sheer stamina because that mofo is long.

:rofl:

now that i'm done laughing....NAVLE does nothing of the sort. And you can easily teach "to the NAVLE"

there's more rote memorization for the NAVLE than almost any other test I took in vet school

Last edited:

now that i'm done laughing....NAVLE does nothing of the sort. And you can easily teach "to the NAVLE"

there's more remote memorization for the NAVLE than almost any other test I took in vet school
Oh haha. Well nvm then.
Mizzou is great, regardless of NAVLE pass rates.

there's more remote memorization for the NAVLE than almost any other test I took in vet school

I can still remember getting to a specific question and as I was reading through it getting super excited that I actually knew wtf they were talking about. I'm thinking in my mind, ok I know what drug caused the symptoms, I know how to manage and treat the toxic effects, etc, etc... I've FINALLY got a question that I am feeling comfortable with....

Then, then the NAVLE showed what a jerk it can be by asking what the mechanism of action of the drug was..... I may have cursed silently and flipped it off in my head. So glad I never have to deal with that exam again... most random BS ever.

I currently work at the MSPCA animal hospital in Massachusetts and we have students from Missouri for their clinical rotations and I've heard from many of the vets that those students are very intelligent, are able to grasp skills and new knowledge fast and are good at what they do. These vets have commented on how Missouri knows how to prepare their students....

Really? I did an externship at Angell this winter; I wonder if I ran into you!

Nope. I agree. I role my eyes at people equating NAVLE pass rates with quality of education.

If all the students are passing the NAVLE, it shows they are being taught morethan just what they need to know to pass; it shows that they're being taught how to think like a vet. [...] I haven't taken the NAVLE so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I feel like getting every single student to pass on the first try says that they're able to retain what they're taught and think like a doctor.

Ahhhhahahahahahahahahahahaha. Omg. Can't breathe.

Guess I'm missing the joke. Maybe once I take it several years from now I'll understand.

100% pass rate when the national average is 96-98% doesn't mean much to me. :shrug: Also, their website says it includes the fall and spring test results so that doesn't necessarily mean everyone passed on the first try. We're encouraged to take it in nov/dec just in case we need to retake it in April. I would imagine Mizzou is the same. I haven't taken it yet (planning to do so this fall) but by doing the study questions I would agree with everyone else's opinion that passing the NAVLE has little to nothing to do with thinking like a doctor. Doctor's don't answer random facts with multiple choice options...

Really? I did an externship at Angell this winter; I wonder if I ran into you!
OMG YOU DID!? I only met one of you guys! Forgot her name. But she's thin, blonde hair (I think) it was a short convo because she was in the middle of assisting in a surgery but she knows I'm going to mizzou!

NAVLE is one of those things that tests baseline "walkaround" knowledge and passing relies on quite a bit of self-driven studying. It is most certainly not a perfect test, and does not predict whether you will be a competent veterinarian or not.

Guess I'm missing the joke. Maybe once I take it several years from now I'll understand.
They're just teasing you. The NAVLE is not entirely comparable to the working knowledge you'll need out in practice. You may only intend on staying in small animal, but you still have to spit out things about pigs, horses, whatever, and that's only one way that it doesn't always represent the knowledge you will be using out in practice. Kind of like what DVMD said...you may be asked what seems to be a minute detail regarding a concept where there are much bigger details you should know.

They're just teasing you. The NAVLE is not entirely comparable to the working knowledge you'll need out in practice. You may only intend on staying in small animal, but you still have to spit out things about pigs, horses, whatever, and that's only one way that it doesn't always represent the knowledge you will be using out in practice. Kind of like what DVMD said...you may be asked what seems to be a minute detail regarding a concept where there are much bigger details you should know.
Not really comparable at all.

That's the point. If you haven't taken or started studying for this test, you just don't get it.

OMG YOU DID!? I only met one of you guys! Forgot her name. But she's thin, blonde hair (I think) it was a short convo because she was in the middle of assisting in a surgery but she knows I'm going to mizzou!
Lol, there were two of us there at the time, you met my classmate. :) We both were on surgery for 2 weeks, with 1 week of overlap. I'll be in CoMo until the middle of June, so if you come up early (or if you have questions any time), let me know!

Lol, there were two of us there at the time, you met my classmate. :) We both were on surgery for 2 weeks, with 1 week of overlap. I'll be in CoMo until the middle of June, so if you come up early (or if you have questions any time), let me know!
I definitely will let you know! Haha she was really nice! :)