Is MPH the best degree for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randombetch

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in health care policy (especially from an econometric point of view), but I think my ultimate career goal would be to lead a hospital (ie: Dean of Medicine, chief medical officer, etc.).

Would an MBA or MHA be better for someone who wants to go into hospital administration?

Members don't see this ad.

The position of Dean of Medicine doesn't exist. A Department of Medicine would have a Chairman who would be a well-respected and accomplished physician. To be the Dean of a medical school would require a being a physician with a long and accomplished career, and excellent political skills and reputation. A medical officer would require a medical degree, almost certainly. It may be that you could consider an MD plus MBA/MHA. However, I can say from experience that one should only pursue an MD if one really loves caring for patients, because the education and career are too demanding, and the lifestyle (at least during the 7-10 years of training) too extreme to consider otherwise. I love it, but won't encourage others to do it unless their motivations are for the right reasons. Above all, one should never get an MD for financial gain or for status.

Medical schools have deans, and I thought you'd just call them the "Dean of Medicine," in the same fashion a dean of the law school would be the "Dean of Law," and the dean of a college would be "Dean of the College."

Members don't see this ad :)
You can concentrate in management as part of your MPH in which case lots of people move into hospital administration. If you're sure you'll stay in health care than an MBA won't be of much use, especially if you're looking at hospitals.

If you're looking at chief of medicine then yes, an MD is necessary. If you're looking at COO or CEO or other Senior VP type positions, you do not need a clinical background. It might be useful or provide you with a certain viewpoint, but is by no means a prerequisite.

Check out a few hospital fellowship postings for an idea of the positions available to recent graduates. New York Presbyterian, Northwestern Memorial, Duke, Emory and Michigan University systems all have high profile fellowships.

I don't know how an MHA might compare, but an MPH definitely does not rule you out.

Above all, one should never get an MD for financial gain or for status.

Yeah, maybe that's why applicants to MD schools spike during low economic downturns. And lawyers study law to free wrongly accused inmates from prison.

Yeah, maybe that's why applicants to MD schools spike during low economic downturns. And lawyers study law to free wrongly accused inmates from prison.

You might be shocked at the number of hours/training exchange for dollars that physicians make. It's not nearly as high as the general public perceives it to be.

Real money is made in business (and by extension, corporate law). A rule of thumb: you'll never become "rich" by working for someone. You need to become your own boss to become truly wealthy. You could be well off, but you'll never be that millionaire.