Is my average too low for optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on the prerequisites for optometry and researching schools in the United States. My average is about a 75% (how do I convert that to gpa?) and I was wondering if there are schools that would accept me? It seems that most schools require that you have a grade of C or better in each prerequisite, which I do not. Is it still possible to get into an optometry school if I have a couple classes that are in the 60-65% range? Or do those classes ruin my chances?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a 75% would be around a 2.0 which unfortunately is too low for most optometry schools. You would need to repeat any prerequisite class that has a grade lower than a C, as a C- is not allowed for most schools. If you want to get into optometry school I would suggest retaking some of your weaker classes. This will also help you prepare for your OAT which needs to be strong to give you a chance.

I think a 75% would be around a 2.0 which unfortunately is too low for most optometry schools. You would need to repeat any prerequisite class that has a grade lower than a C, as a C- is not allowed for most schools. If you want to get into optometry school I would suggest retaking some of your weaker classes. This will also help you prepare for your OAT which needs to be strong to give you a chance.
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering how you can retake a prerequisite class if you passed it? From what I can see, you have to fail a class to be able to retake it, but maybe I'm missing something? Also would taking other classes that I know I could get better marks in help at all? Or are the prerequisites the most important part of my average?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering how you can retake a prerequisite class if you passed it? From what I can see, you have to fail a class to be able to retake it, but maybe I'm missing something? Also would taking other classes that I know I could get better marks in help at all? Or are the prerequisites the most important part of my average?

Usually you can always retake a course even if you didn't fail it they might just not replace your old score and average in the new one. It really depends on your school and the system it goes by, I would suggest talking to your adviser for that. Taking classes you know you can get a good grade in may help but it won't do a whole lot because when you apply Optomas will separate your GPA into different criteria and your prerequisite will be one of them. So, all the optometry schools will see it. In many senses your pre-req GPA is more important. Optometry schools look highly upon this GPA because they are all foundations for your upper classes later on. If you cannot pass the majority of them it may suggest something about your success in upper classes.

When you retake classes prerequisite classes how GPA calculated for Optometry school admission. average or higher grade. Example if you retake Bio at same institute how that calculated in GPA