Is my chances of getting into Optometry school good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynx3100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Logan and I have no idea if my chances of getting into Optometry school are good or bad to be honest. I have researched individual sites to look up their averages but I am still not sure because I have been figuring this out entirely on my own. I am a junior who will be finishing up a B.S in Psychology with a History minor next year. My current GPA is a 3.6 but my science GPA is only a 3.0 due to chemistry. I never really had chemistry before I went to college and have struggled with it throughout my 3 years. I have only gotten one C and that was in General chem 2 but I am currently trying to prevent getting a second C in organic chemistry this semester (borderline with 5 weeks to go). The C really concerns me because I am applying this summer so I won't really have time to bring it up. I have not taken the OAT but am scheduled to take it this spring. I also have 50+ shadowing hours and 80+ community service hours. I am pretty open to where I go so no real restrictions there (just want to stay in the United States). Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered getting tutoring? Just remember that 60 questions of the OAT are devoted to chemistry and organic chemistry. It is best to figure out what you don't understand now as opposed to later. And as far as your orgo grade is concerned right now, you might be able to pull it up to a B- especially considering the weight of the final. Also, organic chemistry 2 builds on organic chemistry 1- you want to get the organic chemistry 1 concepts that you don't understand right now down before you delve into orgo 2.

For the OAT preparation, I highly recommend Chad's videos. Of note, Chad's videos (Course Saver) also offer full college chemistry and organic chemistry. Maybe try looking at those videos. He is a really great instructor and maybe what didn't click before will click now with his videos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, as a backup, there is always the Puerto Rico college of optometry you can apply to, which have surprisingly low average OAT/GPA for their incoming class. They might not have the best NBEO pass rates but they exist. If you do well on the chemistry section of the OAT, that will show some balance in your knowledge of chemistry. However, the better you do in classes right now the better you will probably do on the 30 Gen Chem questions and the 30 O-chem questions on the OAT.

O-chem is O-chem. It's hard. Best thing you can do is study more because it's not like any other class you take. There is a lot of memorization required, and a lot of logic that you must be able to do in a small amount of time. Chances of getting in? I don't think we nearly enough information right now to judge that. They definitely go up the better you do in classes your last few semester/quarters before applying!

Best of Luck!
HP.

Look. Schools are looking for someone who has minimal C's (3-5 tops) in their science based classes. ANY other class is disregarded. If your personal statement shows how you became interested in optometry and how you will succeed as an optometrist, you have a good GPA (which you do), and you didn't bomb the OAT (everything above 300) you will be considered by just about every school you apply. They want someone who will succeed in their program, and that takes confidence. You have what they are looking for on paper, just show them what they want in person.

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances aren't that good if you begin that sentence with is

Reactions: 1 user
To add to what everyone else has been saying, I do not think you need to be to concerned with your GPA. It is not low enough to prevent you from getting into a good school, then again you'll get a good education regardless of where you go. Your OATs will be important, since most schools weigh your GPA and OAT scores equally. So if you want to improve your chances do well on your OAT. The minimal accepted score from what I've seen with most schools is 300 in each category. That being said, please do not settle for the bare minimum. Best of Luck to you, and I hope you get into a school you like. =D

Look. Schools are looking for someone who has minimal C's (3-5 tops) in their science based classes. ANY other class is disregarded. If your personal statement shows how you became interested in optometry and how you will succeed as an optometrist, you have a good GPA (which you do), and you didn't bomb the OAT (everything above 300) you will be considered by just about every school you apply. They want someone who will succeed in their program, and that takes confidence. You have what they are looking for on paper, just show them what they want in person.

This.

FreshVisionary pretty much sums it up. Even if you get a C you should be fine if you do well on your OAT and have a well rounded application with a good personal statement. Best of luck.