Is my fall semester ridiculous/should I change my major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runner28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a rising senior majoring in accounting. I've registered for my fall semester, and it looks like a heavy course load:

Organic Chem 1 (+lab)
Physics 1 (+lab)
Bio 1 (+lab)
Forensic accounting
Accounting information systems
+ 1 required business course

... for a total of 21 credit hours.

I spoke with my advisor today who is very adamant about me changing from accounting to a business major w/ a specialization in accounting (which would eliminate the 2 acct classes I'm registered for).

My issue is that I feel (overly?) confident that I will succeed in my classes which I think is really not allowing me to see this objectively. Am I setting myself up for mediocre grades across the board with this course load? Should I drop the accounting*?

*My reason for choosing an accounting major is a long story, but in the end, I do enjoy learning the practice, and would like to have a BSA instead of a BSBA.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a job or other major commitments? That's a lot of hours to begin with but the accounting courses add to it...since it's your major..how comfortable are you with acct classes, how much do you study, etc...the three lab sciences as well may take a lot of time.

What's your premed/med school plan going forward?

Do you have a job or other major commitments? That's a lot of hours to begin with but the accounting courses add to it...since it's your major..how comfortable are you with acct classes, how much do you study, etc...the three lab sciences as well may take a lot of time.

What's your premed/med school plan going forward?

I have a part-time job on campus that's usually about 15 hours a week, and I also volunteer on the weekends at a hospital. I'm also scheduled to shadow during the month of November (right during midterms :eek: ).

Science is definitely my strong suit since the pre-reqs are math heavy. Accounting has A LOT less math than you would expect. It's much more focused on laws and regulations and how to apply them to accounting standards. However, I've heard these are the easier grad level accounting classes to take and also the most interesting, so I'm feeling confident in them.

Looking forward, I will take the second level courses of the pre-reqs in the spring. I'm debating whether to prepare for the MCATs during this time as well, or take the year after to really study; however, I would be working full time after I graduate. My future plans are still a little murky,

I'm taking both gen chems this summer, and I got an A in gen chem 1, and feeling pretty confident right now in gen chem 2. Should I/can I use gen chem as a benchmark as to how I will do in the other sciences?

Again, thank you !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah with work and that many hours, you'd definitely need to be on top of your classes and use time wisely.

If you're making an A in gen chem 1 and 2, you should be fine in the other sciences provided that you study..ochem will likely take more studying than gen chem for example.

Also, you should complete all your prereq sciences before taking the mcat! Also avoid taking the mcat past january 2015 as there will be a newer and more difficult exam in place.

I have a part-time job on campus that's usually about 15 hours a week, and I also volunteer on the weekends at a hospital. I'm also scheduled to shadow during the month of November (right during midterms :eek: ).

Science is definitely my strong suit since the pre-reqs are math heavy. Accounting has A LOT less math than you would expect. It's much more focused on laws and regulations and how to apply them to accounting standards. However, I've heard these are the easier grad level accounting classes to take and also the most interesting, so I'm feeling confident in them.

Looking forward, I will take the second level courses of the pre-reqs in the spring. I'm debating whether to prepare for the MCATs during this time as well, or take the year after to really study; however, I would be working full time after I graduate. My future plans are still a little murky,

I'm taking both gen chems this summer, and I got an A in gen chem 1, and feeling pretty confident right now in gen chem 2. Should I/can I use gen chem as a benchmark as to how I will do in the other sciences?

Again, thank you !!

Dude, this is too much for freshman year. Take a step back. You cannot do 15 hours of part-time work, volunteer on weekends, AND take 21 hours, especially if a large portion of that is science.

You have to cut something out. Best thing is to cut some classes, but that's complicated with the whole major situation... But I don't understand why you are so adamant about getting orgo, bio, AND physics done in one year. Are you trying to keep from taking the new MCAT or something?

It's actually two-fold!

1) I am trying to avoid the new MCATs

2) If I don't get into to med school and end up in accounting, I need 150 credits to sit for the CPA exam. I am trying to save $$$$ and I will graduate with 150 credits with this schedule in May and I will not have to shell out extra money for a Master's

I'm thinking that I could possibly cut out my job. I have to to pay for cable, electricity, etc., but I will have worked enough this summer to not have to worry about it for the fall semester.

I'm still going to hash all of this over!

It's actually two-fold!

1) I am trying to avoid the new MCATs

2) If I don't get into to med school and end up in accounting, I need 150 credits to sit for the CPA exam. I am trying to save $$$$ and I will graduate with 150 credits with this schedule in May and I will not have to shell out extra money for a Master's

I'm thinking that I could possibly cut out my job. I have to to pay for cable, electricity, etc., but I will have worked enough this summer to not have to worry about it for the fall semester.

I'm still going to hash all of this over!

You are going to graduate... After a single year of undergrad?

First post says I'm a rising senior lol

Why are you trying to avoid the new MCAT?

If I could avoid taking psyc, socy, and biochem I will! However, I know that if I choose to take the current version of the MCATs and don't do well, I will have to buck up and take the classes. For me, it's worth the shot of taking the current MCATs before the new one.

Why don't you take 3 semesters from here on at your undergrad university? You can apply for graduation during next fall semester and wll have 150 hours done...or you could even take summer classes to fulfill the 150 and apply for graduation during summer.

Why don't you take 3 semesters from here on at your undergrad university? You can apply for graduation during next fall semester and wll have 150 hours done...or you could even take summer classes to fulfill the 150 and apply for graduation during summer.
Well thats a VERY interesting and smart plan of attack. I wonder why my advisor didn't mention that. I'm going to send her an email about that option now, thank you :)

I feel like a ****.

lol, no worries!

No prob...make sure though that you know if your school only offers some courses in certain semesters...like my uni only does Bio I in Fall and Bio II in Spring but both in summer. Most of the time upper levels aren't offered in summer either, but just depends. I'd ask the advisor about that too or look up previous semesters and summers to see what courses were offered.

If I could avoid taking psyc, socy, and biochem I will! However, I know that if I choose to take the current version of the MCATs and don't do well, I will have to buck up and take the classes. For me, it's worth the shot of taking the current MCATs before the new one.

I don't think you have to formally take psych, sociology, and biochem classes to take the new MCAT, do you? I realize there's going to be more emphasis on these subjects, but not so much that it's going to effectively add new prereqs. You could just brush up on those subjects as part of your normal MCAT studying.

Your judgment is correct. Do not change that Accounting degree to a Business Administration degree.
The schedule is not hard to accomplish, just keep in mind it will require consistent study time.

Dude, I'm so jealous! Forensic Accounting sounds fascinating.

It's a bit late in the game to change majors, but I don't think you'll need to.

And the new MCAT may give some mercy on that applying cycle. After all, it will be a totally new test.

You've made it to senior year! Churn it out- you got this!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you have to formally take psych, sociology, and biochem classes to take the new MCAT, do you? I realize there's going to be more emphasis on these subjects, but not so much that it's going to effectively add new prereqs. You could just brush up on those subjects as part of your normal MCAT studying.
That's true. I just looked it up and everything I found seems that those classes are "suggested," not required. Another thing to think about!

Dude, I'm so jealous! Forensic Accounting sounds fascinating. ... And the new MCAT may give some mercy on that applying cycle. After all, it will be a totally new test.

You've made it to senior year! Churn it out- you got this!

I'm SO excited for this class. It's taught by one of the accountants on the team that busted Madoff!

And thanks! I've heard both sides of the argument for the new MCATs. Some say "Don't take them!" because they'll supposedly be harder while others say the new examination will lead to more lax MCAT requirements.