Is my GPA too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking of applying this application cycle for fall 2010 and I still have to take the MCATS.

My gpa is 3.22 and my science is 3.21

What do I need to score on my MCATS to have a decent shot at getting accepted somewhere?

Do I have a chance at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Its definitely above the minimum for most schools, it will all depend on your MCAT, since your GPA is in the low 3.0 range you will probably need a 30 or better to be highly competitive at most schools.

Applying with a GPA that low and not having taken the MCAT... you're going to be pretty late for this cycle. It takes a month for the MCAT scores to come out, and 6 weeks to verify your primary application. Have you sent in your transcripts and such already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys I'm thinking of applying this application cycle for fall 2010 and I still have to take the MCATS.

My gpa is 3.22 and my science is 3.21

What do I need to score on my MCATS to have a decent shot at getting accepted somewhere?

Do I have a chance at all?

Your first disadvantage is that there are a limited number of schools that accept January MCAT scores. I think the next round of MCATs aren't until the end of January. That means your scores won't be released until the end of February. So that basically leaves the 9 schools that close their application cycle in March. The second problem then is that you're competing at those 9 schools for an even smaller number of spaces because they've already accepted a significant portion of their 2010 class.

Depending on the rest of your application and how you do on the MCAT you will probably have a shot somewhere, but you're limiting yourself by applying this late in the game. So yes, you probably have a chance, but you'd have a much better chance applying for the next cycle simply because you'd be able to apply to a larger number of schools and earlier in the application cycle.

I have a 3.3 with a 27N MCAT. I just got accepted to PCOM. It is true that you are a little bit late for this cycle, so I would suggest trying next year. Hopefully your GPA should be a little higher and your MCAT will be decent, if so, you should be able to land an acceptance.

This does not mean that you shouldn't apply this cycle. Just understand that applying late will mean that your chances are lowered. If (cross our fingers this doesn't happen) you do get rejected this cycle, try again early next year with the understanding that you will have a MUCH better shot at getting in.

John

hi-
I didnt have a high gpa either (comparable to yours) but I got a 30+ on my MCAT and have 5 DO interviews and just got accepted to PCOM and NSU. It is a little late like others have mentioned, but your gpa won't be the limiting factor if you have an above average mcat score. Its late esp. with the Jan. mcat, but if you apply early next year you should be golden.

I am also in a similar boat. GPA is in the 3.2 range, WAY upward trended, MCAT in the 30's. Already received interviews, just hoping and waiting for an acceptance!

30 and up and there are definite possibilities..... Obviously, it also depends on how your GPA is distributed, the school you came from, etc.

i am similair to the post above me, graduated with a 3.3, signficant upward trend last 3 semsters and my last MCAT was 30R, I already have two interviews and hopefully more to come!