Is my MCAT score unbalanced? Should I retake for a third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinlove123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT twice - the first time being the old MCAT (10PS, 8VR, 12BS), and the second time being the 2015 MCAT (130PS, 128CARS, 130BS, 125PSYC).
1. Is this an unbalanced score?
2. I am trying to reapply for this cycle. Is my MCAT score a weakness and a reason why I didn't get into any schools last cycle?
3. Should I take the MCAT again before applying again? I would take it this summer and probably try and reapply next cycle (2018).

Thanks guys <3

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake!

Reactions: 1 users
With your first MCAT score, some med schools have a subsection cutoff at 8 but your 2015 MCAT looks ok to me so I probably wouldn't retake if I were in your shoes. Taking the MCAT a third time might be a red flag to some schools.

There may have been other factors as to why you may not have gotten in. Did you have any interviews? How is your science GPA? Did you apply broadly and to enough schools? Did you submit early? Do you have a good number of community service and clinical exposure hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cookiess I did have 1 interview at NJMS and was waitlisted. sGPA is 3.74, cGPA is 3.75. I know definitely that I applied late. Because I took the MCAT in July, I didn't get the score back until late August, leading me to submit secondaries in September-October. The schools I applied to were (I thought) within my GPA and MCAT range, but last cycle leads me to think differently and has drastically lowered my confidence in my stats. I have 250 hrs of community service, 100 hrs of hospital volunteering, and 50 hrs of shadowing.

I wouldn't retake that personally

@Cookiess I did have 1 interview at NJMS and was waitlisted. sGPA is 3.74, cGPA is 3.75. I know definitely that I applied late. Because I took the MCAT in July, I didn't get the score back until late August, leading me to submit secondaries in September-October. The schools I applied to were (I thought) within my GPA and MCAT range, but last cycle leads me to think differently and has drastically lowered my confidence in my stats. I have 250 hrs of community service, 100 hrs of hospital volunteering, and 50 hrs of shadowing.

Your GPA is solid and your MCAT is ok (PSYC is on the lower side but I'm not sure how medical schools evaluate this section to be honest). You also submitted on the late side and that could very well be one reason you weren't offered more interview invites. Your shadowing and hospital volunteering look fine to me. If you're planning to reapply for this upcoming cycle, I would definitely apply really early (within the first two weeks of June) and have a fast turnaround on your secondaries as well. I would also apply broadly and select 20-30 schools.

In the next month, I would also try to increase your clinical hours and community service. In the meantime, try to see if there might have been any other weaknesses on your app (maybe a weak LOR?). I would also send in an update letter to NJMS if they take them.

Your GPA is solid and your MCAT is ok (PSYC is on the lower side but I'm not sure how medical schools evaluate this section to be honest). You also submitted on the late side and that could very well be one reason you weren't offered more interview invites. Your shadowing and hospital volunteering look fine to me. If you're planning to reapply for this upcoming cycle, I would definitely apply really early (within the first two weeks of June) and have a fast turnaround on your secondaries as well. I would also apply broadly and select 20-30 schools.

In the next month, I would also try to increase your clinical hours and community service. In the meantime, try to see if there might have been any other weaknesses on your app (maybe a weak LOR?). I would also send in an update letter to NJMS if they take them.
I am definitely aiming to submit literally the second it open haha I've learned my lesson. On the subject of LORs, do you think 1 bad LOR would ruin my app? I have plenty of strong LORs from varying sources, but unfortunately I didn't build a strong relationship with many science professors that actually taught me in a class. A lot of schools require that LOR though, so I got one from a professor that I know probably wrote me a very generic letter. Could this be a problem?

I sent NJMS a letter of intent mid-March. Do you think I should also sent an update letter? I haven't started anything new since March, so it would just be a formal update letter that talks about the new experiences I mentioned in my LOI.

Thanks so much for your insights!

A weak LOR from one science professor may hurt your application but shouldn't be an absolute dealbreaker if your other LOR are strong. If you are reapplying, I would try to get a stronger LOR from a professor that taught you in a science class if possible.

It depends on how receptive NJMS is to update letters. Did they mention anything about sending in update letters during your interview day or on their website? If there's no info on this, you could always call the admissions office and ask to be sure. I probably wouldn't submit another update letter that talks about experiences you've already mentioned in a previous letter you sent them. A new LOR might be an option if NJMS takes them. You could call and ask if they would be receptive to a new LOR.

A weak LOR from one science professor may hurt your application but shouldn't be an absolute dealbreaker if your other LOR are strong. If you are reapplying, I would try to get a stronger LOR from a professor that taught you in a science class if possible.

It depends on how receptive NJMS is to update letters. Did they mention anything about sending in update letters during your interview day or on their website? If there's no info on this, you could always call the admissions office and ask to be sure. I probably wouldn't submit another update letter that talks about experiences you've already mentioned in a previous letter you sent them. A new LOR might be an option if NJMS takes them. You could call and ask if they would be receptive to a new LOR.
That's a good idea! I'll definitely call them about the LOR. Thanks again!

Who is perpetuating this balanced unbalanced thing around?

Who is perpetuating this balanced unbalanced thing around?

I personally know someone who got a 34 on the MCAT - 15PS, 4VR, 15BS. Do you think the cycle went fine for him because he got a 34?

I personally know someone who got a 34 on the MCAT - 15PS, 4VR, 15BS. Do you think the cycle went fine for him because he got a 34?

Since you claim you personally know this somebody, how about you go and ask him/her and report back to us? It'd be more helpful than posting this "real" scenario and have people guess

Since you claim you personally know this somebody, how about you go and ask him/her and report back to us? It'd be more helpful than posting this "real" scenario and have people guess

You seem to be confused by what I meant by "personally." I say I personally know him because he's not just "a friend of a friend" or something. He was in one of my classes. Anyway, the info you requested. First round: 0 interview invites. Retook mcat, got a 13/10/13, second round with 6 acceptances (not including WLs).