Is Optometry still a safe career choice under the right circumstances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderGrad2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of negativity is posted on this forum about Optometry. I am currently a Junior trying to decide the route to go with Professional School. Optometry has always seemed like the logical choice to me as my father has had his own private practice for several years now. We live in a relatively rural area and the business has continued to grow over the years.It has always been assumed that I would join him in his practice once I get out of Optometry School. Here lately, I have considered the possibility of going to Medical or Dental School because of some of the things I have saw on these forums (Corporate Optometry, being able to purchase contacts online, etc,), but I have spoken to many people and the consensus has been that Optometry is indeed a good career choice for myself given the situation that I am in. However, as I go look to make a choice towards my future career I would like to here opinions from an outsiders perspective. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a practice you can walk into in a small town, then you'd certainly have a huge leg up on everyone else starting with nothing. You'd probably be OK, since an established practice would mean you would be busy from the start. I'd say you'd almost certainly be OK. Even if the profession goes downhill, SOME people will still do OK, and someone in your situation would of course be the "some" that survive.

Many problems opening practice in small town. Biggest problem is getting good staff. Staff will often sell their friends (half the town) at below cost. And make up for it by overcharging the other half. Small towns tend to have a few major employers, so when they switch to Eyemed, your exam fee drps to about $35. In addition to having to give a 40% discount on optical. Then you are forced to play the ridiculous game of marking everything up 100% more, and running a perpetual. "40% off sale." Then, after years of putting your heart and soul into the practice, a chain store opens up in the same town. They can afford to run at a loss long enough to drive you out of business, then raise prices.