Is patient exposure necessary during clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to work 20-25 hours and have 4-5 days off every week.
So you're going to work on weekends, or like ALL day on Monday?

Members don't see this ad.

So what? I am studying and training to become one. Other volunteers there are aiming for nursing school, PA school, etc. It might be appropriate for them to be performing the tasks described throughout this thread and physically touching oversized and foully rancid creatures. But those jobs weren't designed for current or aspiring physicians.

Wow, this.

Seriously buddy, you're a meaningless pre-med who hasn't achieved anything of considerable merit thus far in life. You are not an attending. You are not a nurse. You are not a PA. You are not even in medical school yet. You are, for all intents and purposes at the very bottom of the totem pole. What this means, is you are not in a position to say that a particular task as a volunteer in a clinical setting is beneath you.

You seem to have a very unrealistic outlook on the practice of medicine, as well as what being a physician entails. Stick to video games, you trust fund loser. (Oh, and before you go and say something like "Whatever, you jelly." - I'm sitting on enough assets that will in all likelihood appreciate to a value that will allow me to pay back my medical school loans in full when that time eventually comes. The point is you can come from a privileged background and not turn out to be little more than an overgrown child.) Sorry for the humble-brag people, but it had to be said.

So you're going to work on weekends, or like ALL day on Monday?
One of these two schedules:

Monday 6 am - 6 pm
Tuesday 6 am - 6 pm
Wednesday through Sunday - off

OR

Monday 7 am - 5 pm
Tuesday 7 am - 5 pm
Wednesday 7 am - 3 pm
Thursday through Sunday - off

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way you're getting into medical school is as a standardized patient.

giphy.gif

(solar flare, in case it's not clear what it is....e.g., burnnnnnnn)

One of these two schedules:

Monday 6 am - 6 pm
Tuesday 6 am - 6 pm
Wednesday through Sunday - off

OR

Monday 7 am - 5 pm
Tuesday 7 am - 5 pm
Wednesday 7 am - 3 pm
Thursday through Sunday - off
All that time...just playing games, huh?

What do you like to play anyway?

Advice for the OP, in a form they are more likely to comprehend than the sound advice given in this thread.

I played WoW before University. It's a time sink for certain.

I can't really imagine him putting that much time into gaming unless it's like WoW or some other MMORPG, I'm a pretty heavy gamer but I can't imagine playing that consistently just with console games.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't really imagine him putting that much time into gaming unless it's like WoW or some other MMORPG, I'm a pretty heavy gamer but I can't imagine playing that consistently just with console games.

I was a hardcore gamer too (especially in my freshman year with the gang in my floor). Then I gave up after we moved out. Good times good times.

I played GTA5 for 11 hours the other day.
Aside from that, I can't remember the last time I played a video game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt you killed your ACT (no offense).

I always find it hilarious when people say this.
"i'm going to insult you, but I don't want you to take offense"
uhhuh..

basically this thread:
OP, against all odds!
:thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
I always find it hilarious when people say this.
"i'm going to insult you, but I don't want you to take offense"
uhhuh..

basically this thread:
OP, against all odds!
:thumbup:

Ah.. that famous person still remembered. Good times. Well, back to minion hunting!

Ah.. that famous person still remembered. Good times. Well, back to minion hunting!

If you teach me the ways of rocketsciencing I'll be your minion.

I trap and eat minions, not be friends with them...

well except those who I formed a treaty with.

You wouldn't happen to have any Crimean minions would you? (Is it too soon?)

Wow, this.

Seriously buddy, you're a meaningless pre-med who hasn't achieved anything of considerable merit thus far in life. You are not an attending. You are not a nurse. You are not a PA. You are not even in medical school yet. You are, for all intents and purposes at the very bottom of the totem pole. What this means, is you are not in a position to say that a particular task as a volunteer in a clinical setting is beneath you.

You seem to have a very unrealistic outlook on the practice of medicine, as well as what being a physician entails. Stick to video games, you trust fund loser. (Oh, and before you go and say something like "Whatever, you jelly." - I'm sitting on enough assets that will in all likelihood appreciate to a value that will allow me to pay back my medical school loans in full when that time eventually comes. The point is you can come from a privileged background and not turn out to be little more than an overgrown child.) Sorry for the humble-brag people, but it had to be said.
So what if I’m not a doctor yet? I am a mortal lock to get into medical school given my GPA, future MCAT score, solid ECs, and connections with medical school faculty. Getting into medical school is nowhere near as difficult as you people make it out to be. 95% of it is a numbers game, and if you have the numbers and apply broadly enough, it’s easy to get in. And I will stick to video games for 40+ hours a week and enjoy my life while you are rotting away like a medieval peasant during your 30s by “helping people” 60+ hours each week and living on 5 hours of sleep per day. Also, that you come from an underprivileged background couldn’t be any more obvious (I don’t even have to take out loans). In my other threads I’ve had my fair share of vitriolic hostility thrown my way by lower-class folks like yourself who mistakenly believed I was going out of my way to offend them. That is not my intention at all. I’m just explaining my rationale behind not having to work typical doctor hours when I'm out of residency. My life's going to be awesome. :p

So what if I’m not a doctor yet? I am a mortal lock to get into medical school given my GPA, future MCAT score, solid ECs, and connections with medical school faculty. Getting into medical school is nowhere near as difficult as you people make it out to be. 95% of it is a numbers game, and if you have the numbers and apply broadly enough, it’s easy to get in. And I will stick to video games for 40+ hours a week and enjoy my life while you are rotting away like a medieval peasant during your 30s by “helping people” 60+ hours each week and living on 5 hours of sleep per day. Also, that you come from an underprivileged background couldn’t be any more obvious (I don’t even have to take out loans). In my other threads I’ve had my fair share of vitriolic hostility thrown my way by lower-class folks like yourself who mistakenly believed I was going out of my way to offend them. That is not my intention at all. I’m just explaining my rationale behind not having to work typical doctor hours when I'm out of residency. My life's going to be awesome. :p

PERMAQUOTE.

I didn't realize that, as a white jew living in suburbia of one of America's largest cities, that I am underprivileged. Thanks ace, this has been eye opening.

Also, you have to be one of the most socially unaware people if you think there was anything in my previous post that suggested I was personally offended by something you said. I was merely letting you know who misguided and uninformed you are, despite what you think you know. I suspect its because you spend so much time playing video games, that your life is devoid of meaningful human interaction. Did you realize that you called a patient a creature? Medicine is not a game, son. Just wait until your 3rd year of medical school - you refuse to manually disimpact a patient, and you're going to get kicked off your rotation. Good luck graduating with an F on your geriatrics clerkship. So much for that awesome life after residency ;-)

If my kids end up like this guy, I'm going to be the next Casey Anthony. Seriously, this dude seems like a walking disappointment.

I hope you get into medical school. It's just going to be all the more entertaining when you fail out and you write a panic thread about suing the school and trying to blame anyone but yourself for what has happened. Just so you know....there are plenty of people with incredible stats who don't get accepted to medical school, every year. I'm willing to bet you'll be joining that crew next year.

Well, I'm going to get back to my miserable pathetic peasant life. Toodles!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All that time...just playing games, huh?

What do you like to play anyway?
World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, The Witcher, Runescape, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, GTA, Minecraft, etc. I probably hit 50+ hours per week these days. It’s pretty awesome, because I hardly do any real work except study a few days before exams. My roommates all have to work their jobs on the weekends and then study a good bit on the weekdays because they couldn’t study on the weekends. I feel sorry for them, but they seem like they’re doing ok, all things considered.

Some of these dudes are going to class from 8 am - 3 pm and then pulling night shifts from 4 pm - 12 midnight... only to have to come back to school and wake up the next morning for an 8 am class! :laugh::laugh:

World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, The Witcher, Runescape, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, GTA, Minecraft, etc. I probably hit 50+ hours per week these days. It’s pretty awesome, because I hardly do any real work except study a few days before exams. My roommates all have to work their jobs on the weekends and then study a good bit on the weekdays because they couldn’t study on the weekends. I feel sorry for them, but they seem like they’ve doing ok, all things considered.

I feel sorry for them that they're roommates with you ;)

Reactions: 2 users
You've got some more research to do, mate. You're way off.

Which brings me to the next reason it amuses me that so many of you so haughtily dismiss the possibility of me getting into medical school - my connections. My family is well-connected with medical school faculty and doctors all throughout the country. I never realized that anyone was supposed to have a "hard time" starting their clinical experience, but for me one simple phone call to a family friend had me started the very next week. What, please don't tell me you cold-called hundreds of hospitals, filled out application forms and spent months on waiting lists before you started yours. Or did you? If so, you have my sympathies. There are much easier ways to go about doing these things.
Hahahahahah that's hilarious that you think that can help you.

The interviews will destroy you, not to mention that the adcoms will see right through your "ECs", clinical or otherwise. As someone involved in admissions, you are exactly the type of people we filter out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hahahahahah that's hilarious that you think that can help you.

You know what's awesome? Not riding someone else's coattails and actually getting things done because people know that I'm not some full of **** child that isn't worth an investment of their time. I'd argue that it's more pathetic to have to ask Daddy to call his friend, than for you to be able to meet someone for the first time and convince them to take you under their wing and be your clinical mentor.

it has been done successfully before though...
Exactly. It's amazing how naive some of these kids are... this is simply the way the world works. Medicine or any other field... it's all the same. Connections matter more than anything.

it has been done successfully before though...
Unless you're a campaign contributions bundler to a corrupt governor, this type of stuff doesn't really happen anymore. There are so many qualified people that there really is no room for 'connected' people. It's always possible to get a courtesy interview, but even LizzyM and Goro will admit that post-interview it really doesn't matter at all if the applicant is lacking.

Exactly. It's amazing how naive some of these kids are... this is simply the way the world works. Medicine or any other field... it's all the same. Connections matter more than anything.
Sorry buddy, but you're in for a rude surprise for admissions.

Reactions: 3 users

We (@darkjedi and myself) are in medical school. You aren't, child. So, continue calling us "kids" if it helps you feel better about your insecurities, but let it be known that you are less accomplished than we are, kid.

In case anyone is wondering, I think I found a pic of rifle and his roommates:

fat-southpark-gaming11-300x248.jpg

Last edited:
You know what's awesome? Not riding someone else's coattails and actually getting things done because people know that I'm not some full of **** child that isn't worth an investment of their time. I'd argue that it's more pathetic to have to ask Daddy to call his friend, than for you to be able to meet someone for the first time and convince them to take you under their wing and be your clinical mentor.
Give yourself a pat on the back for doing things the "awesome" way, but the medical schools don't see it any differently. End result is the same - medical school acceptance -> guaranteed future as a doctor -> highest-demand profession in the world -> >99th percentile income -> life is good. Trust me when I say that nobody is going to notice how you got these things done. You simply can't be that unique among tens of thousands of applicants.

Give yourself a pat on the back for doing things the "awesome" way, but the medical schools don't see it any differently. End result is the same - medical school acceptance -> guaranteed future as a doctor -> highest-demand profession in the world -> >99th percentile income -> life is good. Trust me when I say that nobody is going to notice how you got these things done. You simply can't be that unique among tens of thousands of applicants.

They don't give enticing scholarship offers to just every applicant. I'm pretty sure I stood out when I applied to medical school ;-)

"Yeah well thats cool bro, but my parent's are loaded so I don't even need scholarships whatever bro"

Trust me when I say that nobody is going to notice how you got these things done. You simply can't be that unique among tens of thousands of applicants.
As someone who actually goes through applications, you'd be surprised how much people can stand out. The 'boring' ones are the ones dropped very quickly.

As someone who actually goes through applications, you'd be surprised how much people can stand out. The 'boring' ones are the ones dropped very quickly.

So like, when someone just has around 100 hours of clinical volunteering and 'mortal lock' stats, right? ;)

Only assets are family ties. Only interested in gaming and power over others without doing any work. Unrealistic and self centered view of how the world works. Has contempt for people who must work for a living. Complete arse wipe.

We are being trolled by none other than Kim Jong Un.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you're a campaign contributions bundler to a corrupt governor, this type of stuff doesn't really happen anymore. There are so many qualified people that there really is no room for 'connected' people. It's always possible to get a courtesy interview, but even LizzyM and Goro will admit that post-interview it really doesn't matter at all if the applicant is lacking.

Sorry buddy, but you're in for a rude surprise for admissions.
Oh my God, this is too much! My abs are burning from laughing so hard. Go ahead and believe this if you want, but it's just flat out wrong. If you're tight with medical school faculty and the right people on the admissions committee, it's worth more than your GPA, MCAT and all these meaningless ECs combined. You and that bean kid may have gotten in the hard way, but it's not the only way.

Oh my God, this is too much! My abs are burning from laughing so hard. Go ahead and believe this if you want, but it's just flat out wrong. If you're tight with medical school faculty and the right people on the admissions committee, it's worth more than your GPA, MCAT and all these meaningless ECs combined. You and that bean kid may have gotten in the hard way, but it's not the only way.

Naw, man. Your abs are burning because you're an out of shape POS who hasn't left the couch in weeks because he's too busy playing WoW.

Edit: As an aside, if you personally know people on an adcom then I'm gonna go ahead and say that it will work against you, seeing as they've probably heard you speak at one point or another.

Plays video games all day everyday.
Has Abs.
:rofl:

Naw, man. Your abs are burning because you're an out of shape POS who hasn't left the couch in weeks because he's too busy playing WoW.

Damn, beat me to it.

Edit: As an aside, if you personally know people on an adcom then I'm gonna go ahead and say that it will work against you, seeing as they've probably heard you speak at one point or another.

My hero. Dude, can I take you out for steak sometime? I'd love to celebrate this post with you haha.

Says the guy who works 80 hours a week.:laugh:

I don't envy your "balanced life" that involves getting up at 4:30 am every day and coming back home to 1 hour of free time one bit. Never have and never will. My life's going to be waaaay better.

1 hour? Sounds like someone has a piss poor amount of free time usage. I dunno where you would EVER get that idea.

And 4:30? Please. I haven't woken up that early in 9 months of residency. I usually live with 6 hours, but am quite content

And rads is competitive for a good spot. As you know, YOU will be spending countless hours away from sports game and videogames to study, study study to get a rads/path spot.

Or Psych, which you'll be on home call a LOT for your patients.

Only assets are family ties. Only interested in gaming and power over others without doing any work. Unrealistic and self centered view of how the world works. Has contempt for people who must work for a living. Complete arse wipe.

We are being trolled by none other than Kim Jong Un.

Oh and J Senpai, forgot to reply to your last post. Yes, being a doc is fun! A lot of hard work, and a lot of feeling like an idiot as an intern physician, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. Besides, I have a lot of fun in life. :D

The fury is always strong in you, isn't it? For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to gloat, I am sculpted like a statue in real life. It's very possible to be a hardcore gamer and a fitness freak at the same time. Plenty of time for both.

Also rifle, what about YOUR WIFE AND THREE KIDS?

You never mentioned anything about them :(

Oh and J Senpai, forgot to reply to your last post. Yes, being a doc is fun! A lot of hard work, and a lot of feeling like an idiot as an intern physician, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. Besides, I have a lot of fun in life. :D
That's great to hear! I'm excited for you. :D

I'm not certain that rifle is aware, that even for those college students who do very well for themselves GPA-wise, once they arrive in the medical school classrooms they often find that they must significantly overhaul their study habits.

Here's a fun idea: lets throw out some over/under's for this kids Step I score. I'm saying 194/213.

The fury is always strong in you, isn't it? For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to gloat, I am sculpted like a statue in real life. It's very possible to be a hardcore gamer and a fitness freak at the same time. Plenty of time for both.

Too bad you're more intent to lock yourself away and play WoW for hours on end than to go out and find a biddy with your alleged rockin' bod.

1 hour? Sounds like someone has a piss poor amount of free time usage. I dunno where you would EVER get that idea.

And 4:30? Please. I haven't woken up that early in 9 months of residency. I usually live with 6 hours, but am quite content

And rads is competitive for a good spot. As you know, YOU will be spending countless hours away from sports game and videogames to study, study study to get a rads/path spot.

Or Psych, which you'll be on home call a LOT for your patients.
During medical school and residency only. What part of this do you still not understand? The only years where I may have to cut down my gaming hours from 10+ per day to maybe 3-4 per day are 3rd year medical school and 3 years of residency. 1st and 2nd years I'll have plenty of time, and 4th year is a straight joke. After residency when I get to choose my hours, it'll be an even bigger joke.

During medical school and residency only. What part of this do you still not understand? The only years where I may have to cut down my gaming hours from 10+ per day to maybe 3-4 per day are 3rd year medical school and 3 years of residency. 1st and 2nd years I'll have plenty of time, and 4th year is a straight joke. After residency when I get to choose my hours, it'll be an even bigger joke.

PERMAQUOTE

I would actually like to ask rifle a serious question, lets take a step back from all of the trolling and retort for a second here.

If you are so certain that you will get accepted to medical school, why do you bother coming onto SDN looking for insight to the process. Further, why do you remain in these threads, attempting to justify and validate everything you are saying, when in the end you know for a fact you'll get into medical school. Doesn't the guarantee that you'll go to medical school and execute this excellent plan of yours for a cushy life as a physician negate anything we could possible say? It seems like you could spend less time on SDN, and more time playing video games and working out - the two things you are so deeply passionate about when you aren't avoiding grunt work in the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.