Is patient exposure necessary during clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
40 hours of games though...sounds like uber nerd to me. The only people who "need" that time are those freaky people that don't shower or have social skills.

Notice OP never talks about his wife, three kids or friends???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, OP, you NEED to show the ADCOMS more interesting hobbies and interests. As you very well know, you can't ever talk about video games(especially those MMOs lmao) and watching sports.

Also, OP, you NEED to show the ADCOMS more interesting hobbies and interests. As you very well know, you can't ever talk about video games(especially those MMOs lmao) and watching sports.
I was reading an old thread a while back where someone asked if they should mention gaming in their application, as they put a lot of time into that particular habit. The reactions were pretty unanimously "NO!".

Members don't see this ad :)
Has someone posted the link to the reddit thread of nastiest experiences in the hospital as a doctor etc?

If not, OP you should search and take a look at it...

Reactions: 1 user
You might've mentioned this before but why are you even in college if your family is so crazy wealthy? I'm one of those poor folk who doesn't understand. You could have like a Paris Hilton lifestyle without a degree.

I was reading an old thread a while back where someone asked if they should mention gaming in their application, as they put a lot of time into that particular habit. The reactions were pretty unanimously "NO!".

Yes, I remember that. He said that gaming showed dedication, and it's not fair because his life was so boring to only consider eating, school, gym and gaming as his life(really, eating?). Then he compared collecting games as a hobby to put in the app as in the same someone collecting Adam Sandlers movies as a topic to bring up in interviews. Or something like that idk anymore.

Yes, I remember that. He said that gaming showed dedication, and it's not fair because his life was so boring to only consider eating, school, gym and gaming as his life(really, eating?). Then he compared collecting games as a hobby to put in the app as in the same someone collecting Adam Sandlers movies as a topic to bring up in interviews. Or something like that idk anymore.

When I applied to medical school, I didn't have any room on AMCAS for hobbies/avocations, because my application was filled to the brim with RELEVANT extracurriculars and work experiences. However, here's a run down of my hobbies from any secondaries which asked:

Amateur Guitarist
Poker
Off-Roading
Fantasy Football
Dog training (my dog won best in show at a small community dog show kind of thing. Certainly not the Westminster, but unique enough for an honorable mention on my application.)
Cooking.

I like to think that, overall, my hobbies show that I'm just a regular guy. They came up in some of my interviews. "So, what do you like to cook?" or "What is Fantasy Football?" Video games didn't make the final cut, because it's a bit sophomoric at the level of seeking entry into a professional degree granting program. I have a PS3 and a ton of games too, but I also don't lead such an immensely boring life that I'm forced to try and embellish one thing into something much grander than it really is.

Friend's sister is a young asian female who've I've known since her high school days. She plays 12+ hours of games a day, frequently stays up until 5 a.m. to do so. She talked about anime and games in half a dozen interviews and was accepted to many MD schools in Texas and then withdrew from several interviews at Cali. schools. Her stats were above average though.

I think she's spending this gap year catching up on her Never Winter Nights.

40 hours of games though...sounds like uber nerd to me. The only people who "need" that time are those freaky people that don't shower or have social skills.

No. Nerds ≠ geeks. You're thinking geek.

Trust me, I have no regrets. Far better than grinding away like a mule for 80+ hours a week like you do and playing your grand total of 1.5 hours of games per day. One measly, pathetic, worthless hour and a half is all the free time you need? That's what I call a sad life. Thankfully for me it will only be for 3 years during residency. I get the sense from reading your posts that you enjoy this kind of life and will likely choose a similar lifestyle once you are out of residency. Imo, sucks to be you. :p

That's not true at all. If you actually knew any adcom members in real life, I doubt you'd believe that. Hobbies are simply any leisure time activities and one of the few things on an application that actually distinguish the different applicants from each other. Everyone wasted time with silly volunteering, research, shadowing and got reasonably good grades/decent MCAT... but hobbies are unique to the individual. You'll almost never find two candidates with identical things to say in that section, and it often comes up as an interview question too ("What do you do for fun?" or "How do you cope with stress" or something along those lines). People can have whatever hobbies they want. Just because I don't want to do something dumb like dog training, cooking, off-roading, or knitting does not mean I'll be at a disadvantage during interviews. It's actually one of the rare questions that doesn't have a wrong answer.

And these reaction were from whom exactly? Overdramatic college pre-meds who think they know what it takes to get into medical school based on reading posts from more anonymous college pre-meds on this forum?:laugh:

I'll take the word of real life adcom members over theirs.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
And these reaction were from whom exactly? Overdramatic college pre-meds who think they know what it takes to get into medical school based on reading posts from more anonymous college pre-meds on this forum?:laugh:

I'll take the word of real life adcom members over theirs.:sleep:
Mostly medical students and adcoms.

Friend's sister is a young asian female who've I've known since her high school days. She plays 12+ hours of games a day, frequently stays up until 5 a.m. to do so. She talked about anime and games in half a dozen interviews and was accepted to many MD schools in Texas and then withdrew from several interviews at Cali. schools. Her stats were above average though.

I think she's spending this gap year catching up on her Never Winter Nights.
She sounds adorable though. I'm sure she was more endearing than OP.

If you are a cute female I think talking about being a gamer is a okay. However, if you look something like this:
1395582651686.jpg

Not so endearing

Reactions: 2 users
Trust me, I have no regrets. Far better than grinding away like a mule for 80+ hours a week like you do and playing your grand total of 1.5 hours of games per day. One measly, pathetic, worthless hour and a half is all the free time you need? That's what I call a sad life. Thankfully for me it will only be for 3 years during residency. I get the sense from reading your posts that you enjoy this kind of life and will likely choose a similar lifestyle once you are out of residency. Imo, sucks to be you.

That sounds like just about the amount of time a child growing up in a household of discipline is allowed to play. Makes sense if you think thats sad, since you're a spoiled little twerp.

That's not true at all. If you actually knew any adcom members in real life, I doubt you'd believe that. Hobbies are simply any leisure time activities and one of the few things on an application that actually distinguish the different applicants from each other. Everyone wasted time with silly volunteering, research, shadowing and got reasonably good grades/decent MCAT... but hobbies are unique to the individual.

You're right. I wasted time during research. So, my all expense paid trips to San Diego and New Orleans to present my work at national conferences, having something on my application that wouldn't just help me get into medical school, but will have a lasting effect and help me to distinguish myself when I apply for a fellowship in a competitive specialty, that was a waste of time right? Honestly dude, you seem really, really misguided, and you will not get into medical school if you continue to bulldoze forward with your stated plans. That is not a judgement, it is just a fact.

You'll almost never find two candidates with identical things to say in that section, and it often comes up as an interview question too ("What do you do for fun?" or "How do you cope with stress" or something along those lines). People can have whatever hobbies they want. Just because I don't want to do something dumb like dog training, cooking, off-roading, or knitting does not mean I'll be at a disadvantage during interviews.

You should elaborate how these things are dumb. Most would say off roading is actually kind of badass. As someone who has a flame in them, a sense of adventure, I actually get out there in the dirt - I don't pretend that I'm hiding in the mountains of some middle-earth situation and shoot down 'creatures'. I'm actually out there having an adventure of my own. No A.C., no 3 lb. bag of fun-yuns, no gaming chair. Grit, rubber, gasoline, sunshine, life. Also, I don't do these things because I want things to list on my medical school application - I do them because its awesome. Yes, I also play video games - but like most grown-ups, it is not the focal point of my life.

It's actually one of the rare questions that doesn't have a wrong answer.
You seem to have a wrong answer for every question.

When you are asked "How to you cope with stress?" at an interview, whether it is for medical school or a job (please let me know if I need to explain what a job is) the question is being asked to gauge if you can keep your cool under tense situations. That being said, it is a question of introspection. The last thing anyone wants to hear is "I keep my emotions bottled up until I have a chance to get away from the situation and then I'll play video games." ADCOMS are expecting you to be able to defuse anxiety in the heat of the moment, and when you get to actually practicing medicine, you won't be able to just jump into a video game for 2 hours if you are stressed about a certain case.

And these reaction were from whom exactly? Overdramatic college pre-meds who think they know what it takes to get into medical school based on reading posts from more anonymous college pre-meds on this forum?:laugh: I'll take the word of real life adcom members over theirs.:sleep:

There he goes, talking about himself again.

Reactions: 2 users
@bakedbeans18 ....not really sure what you're trying to accomplish anymore, unless you just want to keep arguing a lost cause
otherwise you're just continuing to give this thread life..

@bakedbeans18 ....not really sure what you're trying to accomplish anymore, unless you just want to keep arguing a lost cause
otherwise you're just continuing to give this thread life..

It's what I woke up to - and there were some targeted insults in his post. I can justify to myself ripping into this little chump once more or twice more :)

There's a guy who used to / still goes by the online pseudonym "Mimelim". He was one of the top players in the world in a couple competitive games. A while back I noticed a guy with the same name posting here on SDN. Same guy. He's a vascular surgery resident now.

There are also handful of ex-Starcraft pros in medical schools.

Of course, being a top player competing at a national level in a game is a bit different than grinding away at an MMO, but I think you could make a good argument that there is value in both if you spin it the right way. I used to play WoW, and I would routinely organize 40-man raids. It's not an easy task to get 40 people who may be all over the globe, speak different languages, be of varying skill levels, etc, to work together to accomplish something.

There's a guy who used to / still goes by the online pseudonym "Mimelim". He was one of the top players in the world in a couple competitive games. A while back I noticed a guy with the same name posting here on SDN. Same guy. He's a vascular surgery resident now.

There are also handful of ex-Starcraft pros in medical schools.

Of course, being a top player competing at a national level in a game is a bit different than grinding away at an MMO, but I think you could make a good argument that there is value in both if you spin it the right way. I used to play WoW, and I would routinely organize 40-man raids. It's not an easy task to get 40 people who may be all over the globe, speak different languages, be of varying skill levels, etc, to work together to accomplish something.
I never raided. I was high ranked in PvP on Gilneas, though. One of the best BM hunters for a while back in pre Cata. Tauren hunter. Good times were had.

I never raided. I was high ranked in PvP on Gilneas, though. One of the best BM hunters for a while back in pre Cata. Tauren hunter. Good times were had.

Teamwork, coordination, communication, dedication, practice, self-reflection (what can I do better?), needing to learn every aspect of a complex topic and being able to approach it from many different angles, etc. I don't know if I would actually put it on an application, but I think you definitely could, especially if you were at the top of the field.

A family friend of mine is some big deal oncologist, went to Harvard, etc. The advice she gave about applications is that medical schools want to see that you're a "high power person". You don't get to be among the best in the country/world at something if you're an idiot, regardless of what that something is.

Teamwork, coordination, communication, dedication, practice, self-reflection (what can I do better?), needing to learn every aspect of a complex topic and being able to approach it from many different angles, etc. I don't know if I would actually put it on an application, but I think you definitely could, especially if you were at the top of the field.

A family friend of mine is some big deal oncologist, went to Harvard, etc. The advice she gave about applications is that medical schools want to see that you're a "high power person". You don't get to be among the best in the country/world at something if you're an idiot, regardless of what that something is.

The World's Biggest Idiot begs to differ

upload_2014-3-23_13-2-42.png

Reactions: 3 users

Be careful with this one. I'm sure the person you are talking about said that in an effort to allude to a point that medical schools want to see people who are dedicated, exemplify leadership potential, and will make tremendous achievements that, as an alumnus of their medical school, reflects positively on the institution. However, some (in this thread particularly) already seem to misconstrue familial wealth with individual power, so I'd tread lightly with that sentiment, hehe.

This is exactly why this type of experience is necessary! Do you want to spend the next 30 years around these people? If not, Medicine is not for you. You're going to get vomited on, peed on, defected on, spit on, cried on, and you'll need to remove impacted stools as well. If you think this is lowly and degrading, how about debriding infected ulcers?

Dude, removing impacted stools is AWESOME. Seriously. 6 gloves, one rectum.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree that some MMOs, when played the right way, provide interactions which strengthen the aspects you listed above. Unfortunately, we are still at the point where putting time into something like online gaming is taboo in professional environments. It's viewed as a waste of time. I could never get into gaming hard core, I just get kind of bored of sitting around, but there is I'd merit there, should one choose to look for it. Everything in moderation, though.

Nope. Reach in, grab a little, peel away a glove. Reach in, grab a little, peel away a glove. Reach in, grab a little, peel away a glove. Reach in . . .

That's disappointing. I liked it better when I thought it was a team effort, you know, like playing video games 60 hours a week with my friends.

That's disappointing. I liked it better when I thought it was a team effort, you know, like playing video games 60 hours a week with my friends.

It's a team effort with the patient, who has to agree to allow you to dilate his/her anus enough to put your entire hand in.

It's a team effort with the patient, who has to agree to allow you to dilate his/her anus enough to put your entire hand in.

I suppose I'm not far off in my suspicion that it is a team effort involving the patient....though I thought the pressing matter at hand was to convince the patient to dilate enough to accomodate 6 hands. :thinking:

Be careful with this one. I'm sure the person you are talking about said that in an effort to allude to a point that medical schools want to see people who are dedicated, exemplify leadership potential, and will make tremendous achievements that, as an alumnus of their medical school, reflects positively on the institution. However, some (in this thread particularly) already seem to misconstrue familial wealth with individual power, so I'd tread lightly with that sentiment, hehe.

Yeah, I didn't mean "power" in that way at all and I don't think my family friend did either. The way I interpret "high power individual" has nothing at all to do with wealth, political power, influence, amount of respect commanded or whatever. I take it to mean somebody who is going to be a star no matter what the end up doing because they are outrageously bright, motivated, disciplined, etc.

Yeah, I didn't mean "power" in that way at all and I don't think my family friend did either. The way I interpret "high power individual" has nothing at all to do with wealth, political power, influence, amount of respect commanded or whatever. I take it to mean somebody who is going to be a star no matter what the end up doing because they are outrageously bright, motivated, disciplined, etc.

And somebody who wins an audition for the Boston Symphony or who writes a best-selling novel (or who is quantifiably the #1 tauren beastmaster hunter in WoW out of 200,000 others) is what I would call a "high power" person.

In reference to your reference to the video game discussion occurring within the thread. Whatever, spring break is over and my brain is still not in the zone.

That was clear to me. I don't know what is meant by "Boss fight".

That was clear to me. I don't know what is meant by "Boss fight".
I feel like if you were to make resident rounds into some kind of weird MMO, then disimpacting a patient would be end game. And it would suck. Get it?

That sounds like just about the amount of time a child growing up in a household of discipline is allowed to play. Makes sense if you think thats sad, since you're a spoiled little twerp.
And what has all that discipline gotten you? Nothing really. It's admirable that you fight tooth and nail for your goals in life, but in the end, you really are just wasting time. I'll be doing the same thing as you with half the effort and having boatloads of free time to do whatever I want. I pity you and others with your mentality. A real scrapper you are. There seems to be no shortage of your type on these boards.

You're right. I wasted time during research. So, my all expense paid trips to San Diego and New Orleans to present my work at national conferences, having something on my application that wouldn't just help me get into medical school, but will have a lasting effect and help me to distinguish myself when I apply for a fellowship in a competitive specialty, that was a waste of time right? Honestly dude, you seem really, really misguided, and you will not get into medical school if you continue to bulldoze forward with your stated plans. That is not a judgement, it is just a fact.
Undergrad research doesn't help much for fellowships in competitive specialties. Research done in medical school absolutely does, however. So in the end, all your volunteering, research, mentoring and other ECs done in college yields a result that is not one bit different from mine - an acceptance (in my case it will likely be several).

You should elaborate how these things are dumb. Most would say off roading is actually kind of badass. As someone who has a flame in them, a sense of adventure, I actually get out there in the dirt - I don't pretend that I'm hiding in the mountains of some middle-earth situation and shoot down 'creatures'. I'm actually out there having an adventure of my own. No A.C., no 3 lb. bag of fun-yuns, no gaming chair. Grit, rubber, gasoline, sunshine, life. Also, I don't do these things because I want things to list on my medical school application - I do them because its awesome. Yes, I also play video games - but like most grown-ups, it is not the focal point of my life.
Well, it's dumb to me and that's why I don't do it. If you enjoy it, that's fine.

You seem to have a wrong answer for every question.

When you are asked "How to you cope with stress?" at an interview, whether it is for medical school or a job (please let me know if I need to explain what a job is) the question is being asked to gauge if you can keep your cool under tense situations. That being said, it is a question of introspection. The last thing anyone wants to hear is "I keep my emotions bottled up until I have a chance to get away from the situation and then I'll play video games." ADCOMS are expecting you to be able to defuse anxiety in the heat of the moment, and when you get to actually practicing medicine, you won't be able to just jump into a video game for 2 hours if you are stressed about a certain case.
You go ahead and believe whatever you want. I'm sticking with words that have come straight from the mouths of real adcom members at several different schools. You, not being an adcom member, are not in any way qualified to tell me what these interviewers want and do not want to hear. Thanks for the laughs though. Reading your posts provided me with more than enough comedy for the day.

I read the entierty of this post... and this is what I got from it:

18d7dc2b14acef751e93ff12f18326821511f2f7792066a72e34ffaa63d85893.jpg

And what has all that discipline gotten you?
Well for starters, I'm not a disgrace to my parents.

Nothing really. It's admirable that you fight tooth and nail for your goals in life, but in the end, you really are just wasting time.

I fail to see how being a self-made person equates to merely wasting my time. I'm building my career, while you suggest that yours can be bought. For the sake of argument, lets assume you actually are able to weasel your way into medical school. Although the net result will be the same for you and I (and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you'll get into medical school), by having built this life for myself instead of having it handed to me by Mommy and Daddy's friends at the medical school, I am able to build a powerful and supportive network of colleagues and mentors that will help me to achieve my goals. Once your parent's friends croak, the only people left that can help you through rotations and in securing a residency and surviving residency will be people that you will have in all likelihood already made a very poor impression upon, and they will be reluctant to help you. You will not survive medical school or residency by alienating yourself, which is exactly the path you are headed down, kid.

I'll be doing the same thing as you with half the effort and having boatloads of free time to do whatever I want. I pity you and others with your mentality. A real scrapper you are. There seems to be no shortage of your type on these boards.

You actually won't be doing the same thing as me. Would you like to know why? A medical career is not the means to an end for me. It's the end, in and of itself. As a clueless little pre-med, you are in no position to 'pity' me. You don't know why I've chosen this career, nor do you know how easy or difficult it has been for me to attain this career for myself. The reason why people are raining down on you is because you are clueless as to how this process works, and we're trying to give you a wake up all. Frankly, noone cares how few or how many hours you plan on working once you finish residency. That's entirely your prerogative. However, it is doubtful that you'll get into medical school with the arrogance, poor social skills, and the sense of entitlement that you have demonstrated. "Mortal lock given my GPA and future MCAT" - Man, you don't even know what your MCAT score is! Do you know there are a considerable number of people that consistently score in the high 30's and even 40's on their practice MCAT, but then turn out with a 30 (sometimes even less) on the actual exam? Seriously, check yourself son.

Undergrad research doesn't help much for fellowships in competitive specialties. Research done in medical school absolutely does, however. So in the end, all your volunteering, research, mentoring and other ECs done in college yields a result that is not one bit different from mine - an acceptance

You would be correct - except medicine is not my first career. I am talking about research that I was paid to do, as a full time employee for a number of years after I had finished college, as well as in graduate school. Very relevant for ERAS and beyond. In fact, the research I've done thus far will probably be considered more impactful on my ERAS than any of the research I do in medical school, as I am not committing myself on a full-time basis to research in medical school, but have done so in my previous research experiences. (Once again, please do not hesitate to let me know if you need me to clarify what the words 'career', 'employee' and 'employment' mean.)

(in my case it will likely be several).
@Goro, you ADCOM people are just scrambling to recruit guys like this one, right?

You go ahead and believe whatever you want. I'm sticking with words that have come straight from the mouths of real adcom members at several different schools. You, not being an adcom member, are not in any way qualified to tell me what these interviewers want and do not want to hear. Thanks for the laughs though. Reading your posts provided me with more than enough comedy for the day.

@Goro, would you mind corroborating if what I have said previously about interviewing is accurate?

FWIW, List of candidates bakedbeans has interviewed:

College students applying to summer internships at the laboratory I worked for after I graduated college.
Medical students applying to summer fellowships at the laboratory I worked for after I graduated college.
Graduate school applicants that have stated on their application an interest in working with my graduate research mentor.

I do not need to have sat on an admissions committee to be able to tell you what certain questions are designed to yield information about the person being interviewed, because often times these questions are so universal that they apply in almost any interview setting - medical school admissions, internship, 'a real job', etc. Also, @darkjedi can probably confirm this for you.

Despite all of this, I am still someone who has achieved the very same goal you think you know how to achieve. What does that mean exactly? I know more about the process than you do as it currently stands. Even if what you think you know about applying to medical school was accurate, there's a lot to be learned by virtue of experiencing the application process itself, and these are not things Mommy and Daddy's friends at the medical school can teach you.

Successful troll is successful. Maybe he could put that on his application!

The reason hardly anyone does this is because 100-120K is considered low for medicine. Most medical students come from poor or middle class backgrounds and thus have to pay off 200K+ in student loans they've taken out. They cannot do this on a part time 100-120K salary. But my family is insanely rich and I therefore do not need to take out loans to pay for tuition.

You realize that this isn't true, right? Students in medical school, on average, tend to come from pretty well off backgrounds. You will most likely have a good amount of classmates who come from families as wealthy, or more so, than your family. However, I can almost guarantee that you will be the only person that plans to only put in work part time.

You think you're in such a special situation being rich and in medical school? Well, that just isn't true. The only things that's going to make you unique is your aversion to work.

Successful troll is successful. Maybe he could put that on his application!

Well, if he applies to University of Chicago, he could put this on his application.

University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Secondary, Essay Prompt #2
Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Preparing to apply to medical school has more or less been a walk in the park for me. In college I didn’t hold a part time job like my roommates, because my parents are loaded, so I was able to dedicate as much time as I needed to my classes. Despite all of the connections my parents have to medical schools, which I plan on taking full advantage of this application year, I know that medical schools value applications that report clinical volunteering and patient interaction experiences, so my Mom called her friend who is a nurse at a university hospital and they arranged for me to spend 8 hours over the course of two days in their emergency room.

It was not long before I realized how challenging the clinical environment can be. Often, the patients, who were quite repulsive, would be obnoxiously loud and aggressive, not to mention overweight and annoyingly obtuse. I realized how challenging the field of medicine is when my Mom’s nurse friend asked me to help her transfer an obese, sweaty patient from his wheelchair into the hospital bed. I’m going to be a doctor someday, and I was not interested in doing a nurses job, as such tasks are currently and will always be beneath me. I did not want to upset the friendship between her and my mom though, so I excused myself by lying, saying that I was needed elsewhere. Once I was able to get away from the situation, I was free to laugh about it to my hearts content. I was bewildered that some lowly nurse realistically expected me to do such grunt work. I’m studying to be a doctor, not some minimum wage orderly. I believe that my ability to maintain a calm composure in the face of such blatant insults (and not bursting into laughter in front of the disgusting excuses for people that come into the hospital) exemplify the professionalism that is expected of physicians.

Reactions: 4 users
You realize that this isn't true, right? Students in medical school, on average, tend to come from pretty well off backgrounds. You will most likely have a good amount of classmates who come from families as wealthy, or more so, than your family. However, I can almost guarantee that you will be the only person that plans to only put in work part time.

You think you're in such a special situation being rich and in medical school? Well, that just isn't true. The only things that's going to make you unique is your aversion to work.
Oh really? Is that why everyone complains about having to pay off 200K+ in student loans? Why most of these kids are working minimum-wage jobs as cashiers, dishwashers and sandwich makers to pay for their college tuition (which is substantially cheaper than medical school)? Why they need to work full time after residency to pay off their loans? Highly doubtful they'd need to do any of these things if they weren't from poor/middle class backgrounds.

Oh really? Is that why everyone complains about having to pay off 200K+ in student loans? Why most of these kids are working minimum-wage jobs as cashiers, dishwashers and sandwich makers to pay for their college tuition (which is substantially cheaper than medical school)? Why they need to work full time after residency to pay off their loans? Highly doubtful they'd need to do any of these things if they weren't from poor/middle class backgrounds.

for most people it's because they recognize that their parents' money is not their own money

Reactions: 3 users

If you've ever looked at the average debt of students at any particular school, you'll notice that it is noticeably less than what the school costs for attendance. The reason for this gap is due to the sizable group of students at each school that have their parents pay their tution, and thus count as having zero debt and bringing the average down.

Status
Not open for further replies.