Is patient exposure necessary during clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for starters, I'm not a disgrace to my parents.
You sure about that? This is an odd thing to say coming from someone who needed to boost his medical school application by doing several years of post-undergraduate research in addition to graduate school just to finally get into medical school. I won't need to do any of these things because I keep things as simple as possible instead of taking needlessly toilsome and circuitous routes to get to the exact same point as you. If I were a parent, I'd be prouder of me than you. Just my $0.02.

I fail to see how being a self-made person equates to merely wasting my time. I'm building my career, while you suggest that yours can be bought. For the sake of argument, lets assume you actually are able to weasel your way into medical school. Although the net result will be the same for you and I (and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you'll get into medical school), by having built this life for myself instead of having it handed to me by Mommy and Daddy's friends at the medical school, I am able to build a powerful and supportive network of colleagues and mentors that will help me to achieve my goals. Once your parent's friends croak, the only people left that can help you through rotations and in securing a residency and surviving residency will be people that you will have in all likelihood already made a very poor impression upon, and they will be reluctant to help you. You will not survive medical school or residency by alienating yourself, which is exactly the path you are headed down, kid.
It's wasting time imo because your "end" is the exact same as mine despite all you do. You put in thousands of hours in community service, research, jobs, etc while I don't need to do any of those things and will still achieve the same result as you. Working hard is not the same as working smart. And you can network all you want, but ingratiating yourself with some random small-time professors so they can write you an LOR is nowhere near as handy as being blood related to the big shots at the very top who pull all the strings. Look, dude, it's great that you're proud of clawing your way to the top without having it all handed to you on a silver platter, but the second way is better. That's just how it works in this country.

You actually won't be doing the same thing as me. Would you like to know why? A medical career is not the means to an end for me. It's the end, in and of itself. As a clueless little pre-med, you are in no position to 'pity' me. You don't know why I've chosen this career, nor do you know how easy or difficult it has been for me to attain this career for myself. The reason why people are raining down on you is because you are clueless as to how this process works, and we're trying to give you a wake up all. Frankly, noone cares how few or how many hours you plan on working once you finish residency. That's entirely your prerogative. However, it is doubtful that you'll get into medical school with the arrogance, poor social skills, and the sense of entitlement that you have demonstrated. "Mortal lock given my GPA and future MCAT" - Man, you don't even know what your MCAT score is! Do you know there are a considerable number of people that consistently score in the high 30's and even 40's on their practice MCAT, but then turn out with a 30 (sometimes even less) on the actual exam? Seriously, check yourself son.
I'm assuming your reasons are related to having a deeply rooted passion for helping others or something along those lines, and that's cool. Your reasons are your reasons, but they don't have to be everyone's reasons. There are many reasons to pursue this great field of medicine, and mine happen to be different from yours. And I do pity you because I could never imagine jumping through all the hoops you've had to all for the simple goal of becoming a doctor. It's just so unnecessary and laborious, and it makes me chuckle that you and others with similar mentalities take great pride in putting sooooo much unneeded effort to reach this "end." I sit back and hit up PS4/Xbox One/my comp for 10 hours every day and sleep in until noon to get the same result. And I don't know what my MCAT score is because I haven't taken it yet, but I wasted both the ACT and SAT and have a near perfect GPA, so I'd say I'm sitting pretty right now.

You would be correct - except medicine is not my first career. I am talking about research that I was paid to do, as a full time employee for a number of years after I had finished college, as well as in graduate school. Very relevant for ERAS and beyond. In fact, the research I've done thus far will probably be considered more impactful on my ERAS than any of the research I do in medical school, as I am not committing myself on a full-time basis to research in medical school, but have done so in my previous research experiences. (Once again, please do not hesitate to let me know if you need me to clarify what the words 'career', 'employee' and 'employment' mean.)
Again, we come from different backgrounds. Unlike you, I don't need to find employment because my family is rich. Adcom members do not hold an applicant's family's wealth against him. I already know enough heavy hitters at top residency programs that I doubt I'll even have to participate in any research during medical school. Keep pounding your chest about those full-time research gigs though.

I do not need to have sat on an admissions committee to be able to tell you what certain questions are designed to yield information about the person being interviewed, because often times these questions are so universal that they apply in almost any interview setting - medical school admissions, internship, 'a real job', etc. Also, @darkjedi can probably confirm this for you.

Despite all of this, I am still someone who has achieved the very same goal you think you know how to achieve. What does that mean exactly? I know more about the process than you do as it currently stands. Even if what you think you know about applying to medical school was accurate, there's a lot to be learned by virtue of experiencing the application process itself, and these are not things Mommy and Daddy's friends at the medical school can teach you.
Sorry pal, you and darkjedi are just medical students. Being that you likely have no connections to real adcoms, your opinions on the admissions process are of little value to me, especially when half of what you say has already been flat out contradicted by many adcoms I know. Again, I applaud you for the effort though.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've ever looked at the average debt of students at any particular school, you'll notice that it is noticeably less than what the school costs for attendance. The reason for this gap is due to the sizable group of students at each school that have their parents pay their tution, and thus count as having zero debt and bringing the average down.
Interesting... didn't know that. Seems completely at odds with what I've read on these forums and with the backgrounds of most pre-meds I know, but I suppose it could be true. I will say that this makes it all the more dumbfounding that they'd still seek full-time employment after residency.

I'm just curious why rifle is only at 7 pages, when PurpleLove is already breaking 16 pages. Slacker.

This thread: the climax of rifle's premed experience and med school (pipe) dream.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of us don't want to live on our parents dime forever. Not really that complicated. Also because if you put that much effort into something (becoming a doctor) why wouldn't you want to give it your all?

Reactions: 1 users
You sure about that? This is an odd thing to say coming from someone who needed to boost his medical school application by doing several years of post-undergraduate research in addition to graduate school just to finally get into medical school. I won't need to do any of these things because I keep things as simple as possible instead of taking needlessly toilsome and circuitous routes to get to the exact same point as you. If I were a parent, I'd be prouder of me than you. Just my $0.02.

I'm positive 'about that'. From the perspective of an undergraduate student, I can see why you are quick to assume that I went and worked in a research setting for purposes of building up my medical school application. Let me clarify things for you - I wasn't always a pre-med student. Keep telling yourself that you'll get to the exact same point as the rest of us. If you say it enough times, maybe you'll start to believe it for yourself! You're certainly not fooling me, kid.

It's wasting time imo because your "end" is the exact same as mine despite all you do. You put in thousands of hours in community service, research, jobs, etc while I don't need to do any of those things and will still achieve the same result as you. Working hard is not the same as working smart. And you can network all you want, but ingratiating yourself with some random small-time professors so they can write you an LOR is nowhere near as handy as being blood related to the big shots at the very top who pull all the strings. Look, dude, it's great that you're proud of clawing your way to the top without having it all handed to you on a silver platter, but the second way is better. That's just how it works in this country.

I never claimed to have put in 1000's of hours into community service, etc.

You probably don't realize it, but you are only further revealing how narrow your perspective is, when you suggest that I am 'ingratiating myself with random small-time professors'. That's what college kids think its all about. It's also not about LORs, either. It's about creating for myself a positive reputation in the academic medical community, which is small and gets even smaller once you start getting into specific fields. As far as the caliber of people I have on my side? Well, I've worked for a Nobel Laureate, and I am being listed as an author on the manuscript for a major clinical trial. Far from 'small-time', if you ask me - or if you ask anyone, for that matter.

You will probably be disappointed over the following story. I am close personal friends with the Director of Admissions for a well reputed medical school in my area. Their daughter, was given a courtesy interview for that schools MD program, but in they end they weren't accepted. I would like to point out, that she was in fact rejected. She did not choose to matriculate elsewhere, but in fact her application was not given serious consideration. As it turns out, her bloodline was more connected than you, since Mommy and Daddy have connections to the medical schools, but themselves are not part of the schools administration.

I'm assuming your reasons are related to having a deeply rooted passion for helping others or something along those lines, and that's cool. Your reasons are your reasons, but they don't have to be everyone's reasons. There are many reasons to pursue this great field of medicine, and mine happen to be different from yours.

Once again, I'm not contesting your reasons. The part of my post which you have quoted, was written to point out that you are misguided. It was not questioning your motivations, nor did it invite you to speculate what mine are. From the looks of it, you're probably not going to do so well on the verbal reasoning section of your MCAT, if your reading comprehension thus far is any indication of your abilities.

And I do pity you because I could never imagine jumping through all the hoops you've had to all for the simple goal of becoming a doctor. It's just so unnecessary and laborious, and it makes me chuckle that you and others with similar mentalities take great pride in putting sooooo much unneeded effort to reach this "end."

Save the pity. Don't need it. "Simple goal of becoming a doctor." <---Yet another shining example of how naive and clueless you are to this process.

I sit back and hit up PS4/Xbox One/my comp for 10 hours every day and sleep in until noon to get the same result.
Noone cares. Stop bragging about the 'wonderful' lifestyle you think we all so deeply envy. We don't. We, unlike you, are purpose driven people. Noone cares how aimless you are, so stop telling yourself that it's something worth bragging about. It isn't.

And I don't know what my MCAT score is because I haven't taken it yet, but I wasted both the ACT and SAT and have a near perfect GPA, so I'd say I'm sitting pretty right now.

Another example of your blindness. The MCAT is absolutely nothing like the ACT or the SAT. Also, having a solid GPA does not necessarily equate to strong MCAT performance. For example, I think I had B's in my general biology courses when I took them in college. I scored in the 96th-or-so percentile for the biology section of the MCAT. So, you would be cautioned to realize there is not a linear relationship between grades in college and performance on the MCAT. For all we know, you could have a 4.0 GPA in Art History at Yale, or a 3.9 GPA in Science Teacher Education at Central State University. Your GPA is not necessarily a reliable index of what kind of MCAT score you will earn, so get that notion out of your head - it's for your own good, I promise you.

Again, we come from different backgrounds. Unlike you, I don't need to find employment because my family is rich.
I didn't seek out employment because my family isn't as financially well off as yours. I sought out employment because I'm not a useless person.

Adcom members do not hold an applicant's family's wealth against him.
That is correct. However, someone of your background will be held to a higher standard with regards to EC's and use of time, since time is not taken away from your studies by things like self-supporting employment. As someone who has all of the necessities in life provided for them, an ADCOM is more likely to expect that you had the flexibility in your schedule to go and volunteer or work on a research project.

I already know enough heavy hitters at top residency programs that I doubt I'll even have to participate in any research during medical school. Keep pounding your chest about those full-time research gigs though.

You have 2 minutes to list the names of 3 PD's from the top 20 IM residency programs, and 3 PD's from the top 15 surgical residency programs. Otherwise, I'm calling BS. In all likelihood, you don't know anyone. Your parents' friends at the medical schools probably know a guy who knows a guy.

Sorry pal, you and darkjedi are just medical students. Being that you likely have no connections to real adcoms, your opinions on the admissions process are of little value to me, especially when half of what you say has already been flat out contradicted by many adcoms I know.

"Just" medical students. If you have such a low opinion of medical students, why do you come on SDN as ask if 'patient exposure is necessary' or 'does it look bad if I've never had a job in my life?", when the majority of people who are going to respond to you are in fact medical students or, like yourself, pre-med?

Again, I applaud you for the effort though.

Save your condescending attitude, because you are far beneath me. You should be grateful I (or anyone on this site for that matter) is willing to give you the time of day to point out your misconceptions and attempt to get you on the right track to building your medical school application.

While I have your attention, I'm going to take this opportunity to point out a few other instances where you have unknowingly revealed your naiveté.

I never said I would. What you and others don't seem to understand is that I'm fully aware of the insane workload in medical school + residency. In my first 2 years of medical school, I expect to study anywhere from 8-10 hours/day (double digit hours on exam weeks) for the most part. During 3rd year, I'll be in some 100 hour/week rotations (surgery) and many in the 70-80+ hour range. Residency is pretty much 80 hours/week all 3-4 years.

I seem to recall earlier in this thread that you mentioned you would still get to play your little games for 10 hours a day during 1st and 2nd year. Did one of your ADCOM buddies tell you something different since then? I think you were lied to. In either case, you seem to have a difficult time distinguishing fact from fallacy - probably all of that final fantasy, huh?

And if I want to bum around for 4-5 days/week and play games because that's what I like to do, there will be more than enough hospitals/clinics lining up to offer me a part time 2-3 day/week gig. People work part time for many reasons. Some have other career interests, some want to raise families, etc. I have my own reasons. I'm going to have such an easy/laid back lifestyle and it's going to be awesome.

Also wrong. A hospital will be more likely to hire a full time DNP for less money than they would need to pay you for a part time gig. The hospital pays less money to get more service. Also, no hospital is going to hire someone so newly-minted out of residency on a part time basis. As a newly board-certified whatever, you will still have much of your learning ahead of you, and practicing only 2 or 3 days a week means you will not be employing your knowledge base frequently enough in order to maintain it, and aware of this fact, a hospital division is more likely to hire someone that will be a full time member of their staff. Remember, you're a premed who has never worked a day in their life - you don't know all of these nuances yet.

Sure buddy, whatever you say. But where I come from (the real world), loads of people in their 30s are still logging 50+ hours/week on Warcraft, Mass Effect, Skyrim, CoD, GTA, etc. Have fun with a lifetime of getting up at 5 am every day, working 12 hour shifts/24 hour calls, and getting paged past midnight while I'm sleeping in until 10 am and living like I want to for 4-5 days every single week. Gonna be sweet and I'll have zero regrets.

You claim to have never held a job, because you never needed to. You're a college student who only studies and plays video games when they aren't sleeping of studying. Tell me more about this real world you come from. MTV reality shows don't count.

Yeah I've heard of it, but radiology from what I hear is tough to match into. I have no intention of putting in 14 hour study days during my summer break after 2nd year like some of these other kids just to match into my "dream specialty". Why waste all that time studying when I can get a mediocre step 1 score with half the effort and still get a job that gives me 100K+, unmatched security, and 4-5 vacation days/week? Work smarter, not harder.

Problem: OP thinks that tele-radiology is a viable career option within the United States.
Fact: Tele-radiology and tele-pathology were introduced as a solution to the rising cost of health care, which includes consultations from radiologists and pathologists. As these are fields which do not require the physician to even see the patient, these kinds of things were implemented so that diagnostics could be outsourced to physicians living abroad that are willing to provide their services for substantively less than would a radiologist or pathologist in the U.S.

Also, regarding the bolded: There is no summer break after 2nd year. You get maybe 5 or 6 weeks between your last finals and the start of 3rd year clerkships. People will study 14 hours a day during this time, even if they aren't vying for the most competitive specialties. It's all part of a thing called not failing out of medical school. In order to be promoted from M2 to M3, you must complete and Pass Step 1. It's not as easy as you think, and thats why people who are aiming even for the less competitive specialties like Psych or FM, are still putting in the considerable time which you are so vehemently opposed to investing in your studies.

Let's re-establish something.
You are not well-connected. Your parents are. If your parents want to go to medical school, they might have an edge. However, the whole 'friend' and 'family' connections is not something that really goes on these days as much as it did in the 80's and the early 90's.

You are, a pre-med student. It is, abundantly clear from your post history, that you have been poorly guided by those who you claim to be 'connected' with.
When you post on SDN, you are addressing people who have a wealth of different backgrounds, many of whom have overcome much greater odds than you ever could conceive of. This is not an attack at your wealth, before you even try to go there. I am pointing this out, because what it translates to, is people having succeeded in the face of adversity - people who have sound advice which you are quick to refute and reject, claiming you know better 'because someone who your parents know said so.' It could very well be possible that your 'connections' are saving face and not giving you sound advice, because they don't view you as a worthy investment of their time. People here have a lot of experience and advice to lend, but it seems wasted on you. Chances are, despite everything you claim to have at your disposal, you will not get into medical school. Not until you change something - namely, your attitude and your view on the world around you.

You can learn a whole lot from a nurse or a PA, even if you aren't planning on pursuing those careers. How does that make any sense? Because they have completed more clinical training than you have, and have more work experience in a medical setting than you do. Digoxin has the same cardiac effects on a patient whether it was administered by a physician or by a nursing assistant, so it shouldn't matter who you are learning this information from.

One more time, you are a pre-med student. Anyone posting on SDN that is currently accepted to or enrolled in medical school, knows more about what admissions committees are looking for and how they pick apart an application than you do. If they didn't, then they probably wouldn't currently be accepted to or enrolled in medical school. So you should consider this before you are so quick to reject what people say to you.

You also attack @KnuxNole multiple times in the threads you have created on SDN. They are a resident. They know more about medicine, medical school, and being a decent human being than you do. You could learn a thing or two if you'd stop pandering on about how dope your life is, how good you've got it, how connected you are, and how easy this career path is going to be for you.

I'll keep en eye out for you in a few years when you're in my emergency room. How will I know it's you? You'll be that guy with the permanently crestfallen look on his face in the EMT uniform carting in patients for me to take care of, as you try to support yourself for the first time in your life because Mommy and Daddy finally realized what a disaster they've allowed their son to become and realized it was time to cut him off. That patient will probably be in piss-poor condition too, because instead of administering something for their overdose or giving them oxygen to help alleviate their acute respiratory distress, you were too busy playing spiderman on your PSP.

Best of luck to you, kid.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread is out of control. Too much text. Not enough pictures.

tumblr_lz3mzdM6S91qbrjfso1_500.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Might as well post. I'm going to preface this and say that I skimmed most of the massive posts and ignored a couple that were clearly inflammatory only...

I would never write an essay for medical school or residency about an experience in an MMO. I would never highlight gaming as a hobby. However, I certainly wouldn't hide it or be afraid to talk about it with people, especially if it was in the context of something else. I had a reasonably strong medical school application (Even with a 3.4 GPA) in large part because I played computer games in middle school. If I didn't play games in middle school, I wouldn't have started learning to code so that I could write scripts. If I didn't learn to code or build computers I would have never been valuable to labs at Wash U. If I didn't get those lab spots, I wouldn't have published as much as I did. When I applied for residency, a good number of my extracurriculars that program directors were interested in were direct derivatives of things I learned about or was exposed to by being a part of a gaming community growing up.

Now, do not misunderstand. Gaming like many things can be addictive. It can be harmful to one's life, career and relationships. Playing it up as what you do with all your free time is not a good thing. But a part of who you are? It is common enough now that it really isn't that big of a deal. Heck, when I started residency one of the things that my co-intern and I bonded over (two residents per class), one of the things we bonded over was Minecraft of all things...

Reactions: 5 users
OP STILL HASN'T MENTIONED ONE WORD ABOUT HIS WIFE, THREE KIDS, AND FRIENDS! WHY DOESN'T HE TALK ABOUT HIS FRIENDS?!?!?!

OP STILL HASN'T MENTIONED ONE WORD ABOUT HIS WIFE, THREE KIDS, AND FRIENDS! WHY DOESN'T HE TALK ABOUT HIS FRIENDS?!?!?!

haha he actually did one time talk about his roommates and, as usual, how he feels sorry for them. Maybe they are his friends

haha he actually did one time talk about his roommates and, as usual, how he feels sorry for them. Maybe they are his friends

OP doesn't seem like a good friend. I bet he doesn't let them play his games with him :(

OP doesn't seem like a good friend. I bet he doesn't let them play his games with him :(

they don't have time to play games! They're working hard doing 1000s of community service hours and working to pay for their UG education

they don't have time to play games! They're working hard doing 1000s of community service hours and working to pay for their UG education

lol....

maybe if OP opens his eyes, he'll see that isn't the case. He'll know that 95% of his classmates in med school did those things AND have time for videogames.

Of course, people have more than 1.5 of free time. Guess what little boy rifle? People don't spend all their free time on one hobby(videogames). And people don't sit all day Sunday watching football with no time for other hobbies, especially without friends(seriously, who the **** would sit through the Jags vs. Bills? I'd puke in your mouth before doing that!)

But, It's sad that he doesn't talk about his other hobbies besides videogames? 10 hours is nice, but where is your time to go drinking with friends? After all, life with just videogames is boring to hear about. Also, his friends? His wife and three kids???

Last edited:
Man that is shameful. What an embarrassingly long post. Do you see anyone else in this thread putting so much effort into posting such disgracefully long walls of pure drivel? More importantly, do you really expect anyone to waste their time reading everything you just posted?

If I get time tomorrow and I'm in the mood, I just may read half of it. But honestly I wouldn't bet on it. I'm cracking up over here. This is too much.

Good luck, rifle. You will need it. Deaf ears. That's what anything you say from herein will fall upon. Deaf ears. I've said my piece, and it will remain on SDN - in a few years when perhaps you've grown up, take another peek. Better yet, when you fail to get into medical school, come back and see how wrong you were about everything. Toodles!

Closing thread.

A reminder that if a particular poster bothers you, you can utilize the ignore function.

Status
Not open for further replies.