Is pharmacy school worth being in 220k of debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Loans is only one of your worries.

If you want to enter into one of the most judgemental professions where everyone is constantly comparing themselves to those around them, **** is being talked behind everyone's backs, you have to put your social media on lockdown, the people around you are the peers/friends you will have to have fun around despite their judgemental nature because you will be dedicating all of your time during pharmacy school around them...by all means go for it.

All of my previous high school classmates, although probably making 1/2-1/3 of my salary, seem much more happier and content with their place in life.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Loans is only one of your worries.

If you want to enter into one of the most judgemental professions where everyone is constantly comparing themselves to those around them, **** is being talked behind everyone's backs, you have to put your social media on lockdown, the people around you are the peers/friends you will have to have fun around despite their judgemental nature because you will be dedicating all of your time during pharmacy school around them...by all means go for it.

All of my previous high school classmates, although probably making 1/2-1/3 of my salary, seem much more happier and content with their place in life.

Sorry, how exactly is pharmacy (or pharmacy school) more judgmental than any other profession?

Sorry, how exactly is pharmacy (or pharmacy school) more judgmental than any other profession?

Ever worked a job outside of pharmacy?

Pump out a cohort of 15,000 graduates who are all fighting for limited positions, competitive residencies, favor of their preceptors over their co-residents in an effort to prove themselves over the others and tell me these people aren't more judgmental than your typical engineer or lawyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever worked a job outside of pharmacy?

Pump out a cohort of 15,000 graduates who are all fighting for limited positions, competitive residencies, favor of their preceptors over their co-residents in an effort to prove themselves over the others and tell me these people aren't more judgmental than your typical engineer or lawyer.
Granted, I did witness the whole "clique" thing during school, but even then, it was at worst annoying, not harmful. In fact, and I don't know if my school (or class year) is in the minority's, but my classmates went a bit too far the other way, having "study parties", making stacks of study guides and putting them online for others, and putting news about open internship spots on Facebook.

As far as post-graduation and coworkers (I graduated this past May), so far, we have been supportive and helpful towards one another.

I can't say I've been around too many engineers, but during school, some of my buddies were computer science majors, and each one of them had at least one annoying mannerism... I can't remember if I've met any pre-law or law students during schooling, but I am pretty sure that their school/career track ( assuming they want a high-paying job after graduation) is at least an order of magnitude more competitive than what we go through, so if anything, they would be more prone to back-stabbing, ass-kissing, etc.

Last edited:
It's not. That's why I went to a public university. Unless you really love pharmacy . . .

$220,000 is more than I paid for my house. I don't want to imagine have a monthly payment that's bigger than my house payment. Seriously, think about housing prices in the area you want to live, then figure out how $220,000 compares. Maybe you are in an area with cheap houses, say $110,000, so adding on $220,000 is only paying 3 house payments a month (for the sake of simplicity, we'll assume interest rates are the same, even though they won't be.) Maybe you live in an area where housing is expensive, say $500,000, so you'd only have to spend 1 & 1/2 house payments a month....except you probably won't be able to afford a house in that area.

And unlike with a house, where you can almost always sell it, even if underwater you can sell it and still get a good portion of your investment back (Detroit might be the exception, but in that case you can declare bankruptcy and let the bank take it.)--with school loans, they are yours for life. There is no selling them or getting any portion of your investment back. There is no bankruptcy from school loans.

So think very carefully before committing to a $220,000 school loan. Unlike with most other major life decisions, there is no going back once you've gotten a school loan.

that loan will take a long time to pay off...
That interest will be building up...
Think very carefully before you commit

Reactions: 1 users
Student loans are more flexible than housing loans. You can work out income based plans with school loans.

Last edited:
until the laws are changed
Don't even say this! I just about had a TIA. Hah..honestly, I wonder why I bother with working for non-profits considering my total forgiveness is estimated to be only a few thousand. I should just sell out.

I posted this thread in the pre-pharmacy section, but I figured I'd get more of a response here. Here's my situation:

So, I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in Business Management and I'll be turning 26 this summer (I changed majors/took time off of school, etc). I've decided that I would really like to give pharmacy another shot. It's what I enjoy doing and I wasn't prepared my first time around.

My issue is that I have 70k in existing student loans. I've been accepted at ACPHS, but I have one more year of pre-reqs to complete before going into the professional phase. As long as I meet the minimum requirements, there is a seat reserved for me.

I'm getting a $5,000 yearly scholarship, but the first year tuition alone is $31k ($26k after scholarship). The next 4 years are $36k ($31k after scholarship). Pharmacy school in total would cost me $150k, assuming I don't get any additional grants/scholarships once I begin the professional portion. That combined with my existing $70k would put my student loan debt at $220k. During the program, I could stay with family who lives near Albany, so my living expenses wouldn't be too crazy. My Mom even mentioned perhaps living at home a year after I graduate and just putting the majority of my salary toward my student loans for that year. I just don't know if I want to be doing that at 31 years old.

My other option is to wait for SUNY Stony Brook's program to open in a year or so and try there, since it's a public school and lot cheaper for me as a NY resident (I live on Long Island and could commute there). I'd just hate to wait another year or so before going back to school, since I'm not getting any younger.

I'm pretty confident I can land a job after graduation, as a friend of mine is a pharmacist and owns his own independent pharmacy. Plus, I have connections from my former job as a tech at CVS.

My question is, would it be smart of me to do this, financially?

No it would not be smart.
Your connections are near worthless. "connections" at CVS mean nothing if they are not at the regional director level or higher. Turnaround at CVS is well above the industry standard and your connections will be long gone or at best have minimal ability to help you.

Your age is above the average pharm student. You should be looking at exclusively 3 year programs. You are too old to be doing a 4 year program.

Lastly pharmacy is an "evolving" industry. Your 220k will be 250 with interest. Working at a CVS as a floater which is all that is available in the north east will earn you around 60k a year which is 40k after taxes. It will take you around 15-20 years to pay off your debt.

How does being 46 before you can afford to move out of your mom's house sound? if you want to do healthcare do Dental or PA or CRNA.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm reviving this thread because I am taking a look at this again...I have really had no luck with my useless business degree. I got a job last year doing auto claims for an insurance company which I hated, so I quit and this year I started a new job at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center as an office coordinator only making $48k a year (starting) that I don't hate as much as the insurance job, but is definitely not a good a salary and I'm not sure how much room for growth there is, or if I am even interested in healthcare administration anymore. I am living at home and can barely get by on this salary.

I am really considering taking this risk...I just found out that Stony Brook's pharmacy school has been canceled, and Albany is probably my best bet since I already have been accepted (I do need to re-apply again though) and would be guaranteed a seat as long as I meet the minimum requirements.

I might have a lot of debt, but if I work for a non-profit for 10 years after pharmacy school, I could get my federal loans forgiven. I believe MSK where I'm currently working is non-profit, maybe I can go back there as a pharmacist and work until my loans are paid off?

Eventually, I'd love to open my own pharmacy. My close friend manages an independent pharmacist and I am close with the owner (actually used to be my boss at CVS) and I'm sure he'd be willing to hire me.

Do you guys still think this is a bad idea?

The answer is a hell to the no now. PGY1 resident here. Will probably sign an offer for retail float afterwards because the market sucks. And I’ll have wasted the year residency for a job I could have gotten without it. I’d be lucky to get over 32 hours.

Still a no two years later.

So, I'm reviving this thread because I am taking a look at this again...I have really had no luck with my useless business degree. I got a job last year doing auto claims for an insurance company which I hated, so I quit and this year I started a new job at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center as an office coordinator only making $48k a year (starting) that I don't hate as much as the insurance job, but is definitely not a good a salary and I'm not sure how much room for growth there is, or if I am even interested in healthcare administration anymore. I am living at home and can barely get by on this salary.

I am really considering taking this risk...I just found out that Stony Brook's pharmacy school has been canceled, and Albany is probably my best bet since I already have been accepted (I do need to re-apply again though) and would be guaranteed a seat as long as I meet the minimum requirements.

I might have a lot of debt, but if I work for a non-profit for 10 years after pharmacy school, I could get my federal loans forgiven. I believe MSK where I'm currently working is non-profit, maybe I can go back there as a pharmacist and work until my loans are paid off?

Eventually, I'd love to open my own pharmacy. My close friend manages an independent pharmacist and I am close with the owner (actually used to be my boss at CVS) and I'm sure he'd be willing to hire me.

Yes, it is probably a bad idea for you, because you are going in for the wrong reasons. Pharmacy is the same in the sense that it is a dead-end position: you get your first job, and that's more or less your last job. Hilariously enough, those two jobs that you had resemble pharmacy's work circumstances most of all as pharmacy is mostly a bureaucratic job.

How about this? If you have the ability to get out with less than $200k of debt in total because of how tenuous the market is, think about it. If you can only get to private schools where your debt level could be in the mid 350s or higher, find something else as at that loan rate, the opportunity costs for everything else you might want to do in life may be too big a cost for you to bear.

You have no excuse though for not knowing how competitive the market is right now, and it's going to get worse for even good pharmacists. You have to weigh the opportunity costs and lifespan as this would be too much of an investment unless you have something in the pocket in terms of having some special. Private school education, the only special thing about you is that you can sign on the dotted line for a federal guaranteed loan.

But nothing I have read from you gives any indication that you view this more than an occupation, which is not going to work going forward.

Reactions: 2 users

The wise man learns from others' mistakes, the smart man learns from his own, and the stupid one never learns.

You get to decide which one you want to be.

If you peeps are STILL asking any question like "Is it a good idea to attend Pharm-D school?" Then this is hopeless.......go for it and good luck to you....I'm really beginning to think that these phones DO warp the noggin.....

I'm pretty confident I can land a job after graduation, as a friend of mine is a pharmacist and owns his own independent pharmacy. Plus, I have connections from my former job as a tech at CVS.

The question is not about landing a job, but how many hours and what kind of job condition. Is it going to a sustainable career for 30 years?

Independent pharmacy have their own set of problem including poor reimbursement rate, risk of running a business, etc.

I know plenty of people making 6 figures salary with a bachelor degree without any huge student loan and some even make more than me climbing the corporate ladder.

Also, don't count on connection at CVS. I know plenty of manager and DM that all left CVS. The only one that stay is because they couldn't find anything better.

220K is currently what it is right now, but with accrue interest 6.8% and tuition keep rising, it won't be 220K when you graduate.

I posted this thread in the pre-pharmacy section, but I figured I'd get more of a response here. Here's my situation:

So, I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in Business Management and I'll be turning 26 this summer (I changed majors/took time off of school, etc). I've decided that I would really like to give pharmacy another shot. It's what I enjoy doing and I wasn't prepared my first time around.

My issue is that I have 70k in existing student loans. I've been accepted at ACPHS, but I have one more year of pre-reqs to complete before going into the professional phase. As long as I meet the minimum requirements, there is a seat reserved for me.

I'm getting a $5,000 yearly scholarship, but the first year tuition alone is $31k ($26k after scholarship). The next 4 years are $36k ($31k after scholarship). Pharmacy school in total would cost me $150k, assuming I don't get any additional grants/scholarships once I begin the professional portion. That combined with my existing $70k would put my student loan debt at $220k. During the program, I could stay with family who lives near Albany, so my living expenses wouldn't be too crazy. My Mom even mentioned perhaps living at home a year after I graduate and just putting the majority of my salary toward my student loans for that year. I just don't know if I want to be doing that at 31 years old.

My other option is to wait for SUNY Stony Brook's program to open in a year or so and try there, since it's a public school and lot cheaper for me as a NY resident (I live on Long Island and could commute there). I'd just hate to wait another year or so before going back to school, since I'm not getting any younger.

My question is, would it be smart of me to do this, financially?
Absolutely not, pharmacy isn't just getting worse, it is in its final days. With all these mergers, these is less and less of a need for pharmacist. States like Iowa are testing programs that will allow pharmacy techs to do verification on refills. AI will start to take ovet the need of pharmacist. Does anyone need the profession will e around in 30 years? At least with a MD you can do business or something. No one knows or even cares about a pharmD. The older I get the more I avoid debt. A future job is a promise, debt is certain.

As someone who graduated with exactly $220k in student loans debt 6 years ago, it was definitely not worth it. I'm still trying to payoff my student loans and the retail work condition is horrible. There are much better returns elsewhere. I should have pursue dentistry or podiatry instead with the amount of debts I accumulated.

Anyone who graduates with more than 100k in pharmacy school debt is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Reactions: 5 users
Cvs hires pharmacists at 120-130k. Take out taxes, that like 80-90 take home. Live off of 20k/year, throw the rest of the 60 at loans. Live like that for 5 years and ur debt is paid off.

It is not the end of the world to make 120k/year. Optometrists have it much worse.
DON'T Listen to this guy. NEW grads does not make 120-130 a year.
80-90 take home? WTF? Don't forget 401K, plus 12-13K per year for insurance (atleast the decent plans).
You ask any pharmacist currently working. Knowing the condition pharmacy is in currently right now. Would they still go to pharmacy?
Don't do it man. I die a little inside every day as I turn into the parking lot.

80-90 take home? WTF? Don't forget 401K, plus 12-13K per year for insurance (atleast the decent plans).
You ask any pharmacist currently working. Knowing the condition pharmacy is in currently right now. Would they still go to pharmacy?
Don't do it man. I die a little inside every day as I turn into the parking lot.

If you're in a high tax state then you might be lucky to take home $50k/year after taxes and student loans on a $120k salary. With all the recent cuts in starting pay and hours you'll end up with $30k which is comparable to the pay of teachers.

bls.gov reports median pay to be around 125K. This includes full time and part time work.

Pharmacists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

seems that the issue is finding full time work and student loans rather than the pay. 120k is good money with 4 years additional schooling, especially considering most degrees are worthless and grads end up working at coffee shops. A bio degree is pretty worthless.

In a low tax state/low cost of living area (Midwest, Southern states, Some states in Middle America) 120K is a good income. In new York or Cali, its barely enough to survive.

If you're in a high tax state then you might be lucky to take home $50k/year after taxes and student loans on a $120k salary. With all the recent cuts in starting pay and hours you'll end up with $30k which is comparable to the pay of teachers.

Bad idea. If your looking to get 4 more years of debt you might as well do it right:

1) Petroleum Engineering : six figures. Long hours and constant moving (something you’d have to do in pharmacy anyway right now but without the hours)

2) Electrical Engineering: Needed in all 50 states with salary growth up in six figures the longer you work.

3) Computer Science : See #2

4) Mechanical Engineering: See #2

If it’s financial abliss, do the following:

** Pipe Welders : 3-6 months for certification then work overtime to pay your debt and build an emergency savings

** Real Estate: get a mentor, buy a $59.00 book and test your tolerable risk.

If six figure debt such as 220K is what it takes in a saturated market, how happy will you be?

Anyone who graduates with more than 100k in pharmacy school debt is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Does anyone graduate 4 years of professional school with that little debt?

Doubt it.

Unless it’s a Texas school. I hear tuition is crazy low.

Speaking in terms of healthcare professional graduate tuition costs (excluding pharmacy):

**MD/DO tuition rates in TX are the lowest in the country.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...-public-medical-schools-for-in-state-students

**10 yr Academic Forgiveness clause allowing higher scholarship caps for professional healthcare degrees in TX that reduces tuition costs

College For All Texans: Academic Fresh Start

**Resident Veterans get 150+ credits paid through Hazelwood Act in TX.

Hazlewood Act - Texas Veterans Commission

Unless you chose pharmacy, TX professional grad courses ( especially MD \ DO route) seem to be among the lowest tuition costs in the country.

If you qualify as a TX resident with what’s available and still chose pharmacy, I have no sympathy.

bls.gov reports median pay to be around 125K. This includes full time and part time work.

Pharmacists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

seems that the issue is finding full time work and student loans rather than the pay. 120k is good money with 4 years additional schooling, especially considering most degrees are worthless and grads end up working at coffee shops. A bio degree is pretty worthless.

120K a year is why the majority of us go to pharmacy school and put up with all the BS that entails. I can guarantee you now or in 4 years when OP graduate, there is no way new grad is getting 120K a year. I didn't even get 120K a year as a new grad 7 years ago. I may be wrong if you live in California or some states like that.
I'm pretty sure median income means there are 50% who makes more than 120k and 50% who makes less than 120K.
which 50% do you think OP is going to be in after 4 years of school ( assuming he started this already).
Honestly, OP don't look at some handbook or statistic from the government. Ask other pharmacists. People in the field or specialty that you want to work in. If they still recc pharmacy school. Then go for it.

Doubt it.

I had <100k at UGA, granted HOPE paid for the first 2 years. Several friends had their whole college paid for by parents/grandparents.

The only people at UGA that were well >100k are the ones that did 3-4 years undergrad first.

Granted costs keep going up, doubt I could do it today for <100k and I've only been out 5 years.

You have to consider your other debt a sunk cost, so the question is going to pharmacy school in 2016 worth $150,000 in debt. I would still say no. You have to figure with declining salaries and declining hours if you go into retail you'll probably only get 30 hours a week to start, if that. So you might come out making $85,000-100,000 which is barely respectable in New York these days. If you go the alternative route of looking to work in a hospital that's at least an additional year of training, if not two years. So if it's not a prudent financial decision the only thing left is job satisfaction and once again I think you'll be disappointed.

It's not only the 150,000 USD debt but also the lost wages of 30k x 6 so 180k+150K + 50k interest so it ends up being a 6 year, 380,000 USD mistake and that is a conservative estimate.

Doubt it.
I graduated with zero debt, and know several others who did.

There are better options than resigning yourself to student debt just because your peers have.

I graduated with zero debt, and know several others who did.

There are better options than resigning yourself to student debt just because your peers have.

That’s very helpful

About $35k of my $70k in student loans are private loans. Assuming I were to go into this program using federal loans, I could get the loans forgiven after working 10 years for a non-profit making minimum monthly payments. After that, I'd have only my private loans left to pay off which isn't that much and can hopefully open my own pharmacy. Why is this such a bad idea?

About $35k of my $70k in student loans are private loans. Assuming I were to go into this program using federal loans, I could get the loans forgiven after working 10 years for a non-profit making minimum monthly payments. After that, I'd have only my private loans left to pay off which isn't that much and can hopefully open my own pharmacy. Why is this such a bad idea?

If you are going to owe only $70k throughout the entire pharmacy school, you should absolutely go for it if you have passion and solid plan.

If you are talking about $70k per year including private loan, you are crazy. Stop what you are doing right now. Your plan is likely not going to work. No job is guaranteed for a pharmacist and you will be throwing more than 10 years of your life just to pay off debt. Opening your own pharmacy is one thing, but managing and making profit are whole different level of challenges.

People here give good advice when warning people about going to pharmacy school. It doesn`t seem like many people are here to listen though. With current job market and working condition, I would say pharmacy school is absolutely worthless to pursue.

**My apology I didn`t realize you are the OP. You really should just use that pharmacy school money to open great business using your current degree.

Last edited:
The answer is a hell to the no now. PGY1 resident here. Will probably sign an offer for retail float afterwards because the market sucks. And I’ll have wasted the year residency for a job I could have gotten without it. I’d be lucky to get over 32 hours.

Still a no two years later.

Ouch! How many residents do you know that can't find a job? Is it because you are geographically limited?

Big Assumptions:

1) 10 years of “full-time” work in a non-profit 503(c) company

2) Loan Forgiveness in existence (even now Loop-holes are destroying individuals expecting zero debt Why Public Service Loan Forgiveness Is So Unforgiving

3) Opening own pharmacy (with MORE loans)

If you join the military or work IHS on a reservation and enjoy the long term monetary benefits I’m all for it. However, your assumptions are closer to an intolerable risk in a saturated market.

I’ll be going without pulling additional loans and I’m still strategizing for long term employment. Have a contingency plan when plan A and B fall short.

My friend has been looking for a job in Texas. Retail. Moved to chase some girl (wife). Got 7 yrs experience, unable to find a job for 2-3 months. Anyone has a good contact / recruiter for him?

Ouch! How many residents do you know that can't find a job? Is it because you are geographically limited?

Honestly depends on the region. I’ve been told in places like Oregon, among other states, that even PGY1s have a hard time finding work.

I don’t know the stats on unemploymed residents. I can tell you I’m interested in staying in a highly desired metro Midwest city.

I graduated from ACPHS less than 5 years ago. Two friends out of the five in my study group are still looking for jobs today. I tried to pull strings to help them, but ineffective, there were way too many candidates. With increase in age, you will likely struggle more than others. It’s 4 years of dedication that you can’t back out of. Have you thought about nursing?

My friend has been looking for a job in Texas. Retail. Moved to chase some girl (wife). Got 7 yrs experience, unable to find a job for 2-3 months. Anyone has a good contact / recruiter for him?
7 years experience and still can't find a job? He should be in his prime right now. Proves to show how **** the job market is.

I graduated from ACPHS less than 5 years ago. Two friends out of the five in my study group are still looking for jobs today. I tried to pull strings to help them, but ineffective, there were way too many candidates. With increase in age, you will likely struggle more than others. It’s 4 years of dedication that you can’t back out of. Have you thought about nursing?
WTF have they been doing in the past 5 years?

"My Friend"

-__________-

7 years experience and still can't find a job? He should be in his prime right now. Proves to show how **** the job market is.

WTF have they been doing in the past 5 years?

have you not heard of the "End of Men" or "herbavore men" or "hikikomori" or "r9k"?

Young men are dropping out of society and the workforce in record numbers to become stay at home NEETs. This is the future for us. We need to embrace it. Nothing wrong with being unemployed for a decade or two to relax.

Women >> Men

The government just borrowed more than 700,000,000,000.00 USD to pay for our government IN ADDITION to the tax money they already got. It's all coming to a end soon any how.

I think there are two fundamental issues with idealists justifying pharmacy school in 2018/2019.

1. They don't understand how much a 200k-350k loan really is. That is not the true cost of the loan, because no one gives out a loan at "0%." A 350k loan when fully settled is probably going to cost $450-550k with interest / refi / etc.
2. They are thinking they will make 130k a year right after graduating, and for the next 20 years while they pay off their loans.

Sorry, but something called "life" happens and your plans go to ****. -quoted by Life itself

Reactions: 12 users