Is PharmD a Phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyben

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again.

I am not too familiar with the US educational degree system, so I am trying to figure out:

Is a PharmD a Phd?

This is what I am getting at: as an International Student, i simply cannot allow myself to peruse an academic path that isn't acknowledged (or equivalent) to the known-degree system (meaning - the regular path of getting a Baccalaureate, followed by a Masters, followed by a doctor of Philosophy [PhD] ). And so, I am trying to figure out if graduating from an institution such as University of Nevada (3 year program) is the same as having a Phd, or not.

Sorry if I complicated things.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again.

I am not too familiar with the US educational degree system, so I am trying to figure out:

Is a PharmD a Phd?

This is what I am getting at: as an International Student, i simply cannot allow myself to peruse an academic path that isn't acknowledged (or equivalent) to the known-degree system (meaning - the regular path of getting a Baccalaureate, followed by a Masters, followed by a doctor of Philosophy [PhD] ). And so, I am trying to figure out if graduating from an institution such as University of Nevada (3 year program) is the same as having a Phd, or not.

Sorry if I complicated things.

Thank you

No.

PharmD = Doctor of Pharmacy

PhD = Doctor of Philosophy

a PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy degree as you have stated and a PharmD is a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. They are not the same, although I would say equally prestigous. If you want to practice pharmacy get a PharmD, but if you want to do research get a PhD in pharmacology or something. With either degree you can be called a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD is more research based (you defend a thesis)

PharmD is more clinical based (you go on clinical rotations)
it's the pharmacy analogue to the MD degree.

I would like to add that PharmD is a professional degree....just like MD, JD, etc.

A PhD takes research and a thesis, and is arguably more prestigious and a step above professional degrees in the academic world (I'd say professional degrees are a little more prestigious than a masters degree, by layman's terms)

PharmD is 4 years and Ph.D is an additional 2 years after you get your PharmD, I think. Can someone tell me if this is right?

PharmD is 4 years and Ph.D is an additional 2 years after you get your PharmD, I think. Can someone tell me if this is right?

That is incorrect. There is no time table on a PhD. You have about a years worth or courses after which you research, write, and defend your dissertation. This can take anywhere from a year (highly highly unlikely) to over five. It depends on your field, topic, and dissertation committee. A PharmD has nothing at all to do with a PhD.

I've worked in a lab over 3 years, I have come to understand the Masters and PhD program a little and I can say that the time period for a PhD degree is 3 years and beyond...i have not met anyone who has received a PhD under 2 years...I mean...its hard to see ppl finish a masters in 2 years lol....

I believe you have to ask yourself the question of what your goal is. If there is a fascinating topic and you feel you can write a new thesis that has not been covered before, like to work in the lab, won't mind endless hours of working in the lab, won't mind that one test after another test won't give you results and you'll have to continue doing them day after day, balancing money too!...etc...so to get to my point, if you are passionate about a research topic and feel research and creating/defending a thesis is right for you, go PhD...

if you like to interact with people! if you feel that learning drug mechanisms, knowing side effects and drug-drug interactions, working in a retail, clinical, hospital etc environment fancies you then i think you'll like a PharmD degree better....

on a side note...i think that writing a 100+ page thesis and defending it in front of a panel ( of highly knowledgeable professors) is >>>>>> far greater than the board exam we'll have to take after pharm school ><'''

if you have most questions regarding PhD vs PharmD, you can msg me~

Interesting.

So what happens if, let's say, one would like to continue into a different field (a career change of sorts)?

For example, let's say that one finishes the PharmD program (from a 3 year university such as USN), and decided that he wants to be a Lawyer. Does this mean that he needs to get a Baccalaureate degree? Or does the fact that he holds a PharmD means that he is now exempt from getting a Baccalaureate (which is a lower-level degree)?

Am I making a complete mess?

Ok - this is what it's all about: I want to pursue the PharmD program being offered by USN. I am dedicated to my goal, but I also know that I am a very neurotic person. I have to always have a run-away-plan (-: I feel that I am afraid to dedicate myself to a program that will eventually leave me with no other options (or advance my academic situation). Perhaps I will never act on it (most likely), but still I must know that I can, if I want to. And so the question is important to me: will I be able to continue my education from a post- .Baccalaureate .point after attending this 3 year-program (for which a .Baccalaureate .is not needed)? in other words, how will I be considered as an applicant trying to pursue a new path while having a PharmD? Will I need to go back to the school bench in order to get a .Baccalaureate ., or will my PharmD make this unnecessary?

I apologize for the mess (and yes - I am aware that I am a deeply disturbed human).

A pharmD is considered an actual, complete post bach degree, therefore you will not have to go back to undergrad if you choose to pursue another degree. And since a professional degree is on par with holding a master's, then you will be looked at as more accomplished than someone with just an undergrad. But, of course, you will need to go to law school if you want to become a lawyer ;)

If you are interested in career opportunities there are PharmD/JD , PharmD/PhD, PharmD/MBA, etc. programs available. Not sure what USN has, but continue to do the research and you can find some choices.

A PhD takes research and a thesis, and is arguably more prestigious and a step above professional degrees in the academic world (I'd say professional degrees are a little more prestigious than a masters degree, by layman's terms)

Haha, but, on average, PhD's make less than those with professional degrees.

And you smart asses better read "on average" before throwing up exceptions.

In Germany, you don't get the title "doctor" unless you've defended a thesis, so physicians are not referred to as doctors with a medical degree alone.

Interesting.

So what happens if, let's say, one would like to continue into a different field (a career change of sorts)?

For example, let's say that one finishes the PharmD program (from a 3 year university such as USN), and decided that he wants to be a Lawyer. Does this mean that he needs to get a Baccalaureate degree? Or does the fact that he holds a PharmD means that he is now exempt from getting a Baccalaureate (which is a lower-level degree)?

Am I making a complete mess?

Ok - this is what it's all about: I want to pursue the PharmD program being offered by USN. I am dedicated to my goal, but I also know that I am a very neurotic person. I have to always have a run-away-plan (-: I feel that I am afraid to dedicate myself to a program that will eventually leave me with no other options (or advance my academic situation). Perhaps I will never act on it (most likely), but still I must know that I can, if I want to. And so the question is important to me: will I be able to continue my education from a post- .Baccalaureate .point after attending this 3 year-program (for which a .Baccalaureate .is not needed)? in other words, how will I be considered as an applicant trying to pursue a new path while having a PharmD? Will I need to go back to the school bench in order to get a .Baccalaureate ., or will my PharmD make this unnecessary?

I apologize for the mess (and yes - I am aware that I am a deeply disturbed human).

I don't think you are a deeply disturbed human! I can tell that you are only curious and want a back up plan! I already made my back up plan.

I believe that you don't need a B.A. or B.S. if you want to pursue for something else if you already got a PharmD from the pre pharmacy program.

If you want to go to law school, remember that you need good grades from pharmacy school. Also, you need to know the pre reqs that are requires for admission to the law school or whatever other professional school you want to go. Sometimes, like pharmacy school, may require you to update your pre reqs if your courses are over 7 years old.

Does this answer your question?

Last edited:
PHARMD is a professional degree where you become a doctor in Pharmacy and a PhD is an academic degree and you also become a doctor. One is professional and the other is academic. Academic wise, PharmD is higher than a masters but lower than a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
PHARMD is a professional degree where you become a doctor in Pharmacy and a PhD is an academic degree and you also become a doctor. One is professional and the other is academic. Academic wise, PharmD is higher than a masters but lower than a PhD.

Can you automatically say a PharmD is always lower than a PhD in academics? If it pertains to something clinical-based wouldn't the PharmD be more knowledgable?

And you smart asses better read "on average" before throwing up exceptions.

In Germany, you don't get the title "doctor" unless you've defended a thesis, so physicians are not referred to as doctors with a medical degree alone.

Yeah, well I read an article that said that PhD's tend to live longer on average than any other degree. So either choose money or life lol

Untrue. PhD is not higher than a PharmD. They are both doctorate degrees.

Also, PharmD isn't necessarily clinical. One can work as a pharmacist in retail and hold a PharmD, if they desire. The emphasis of PharmD programs (ALL US programs currently) is geared toward educating you clinically, but you can still work retail (which, btw you can do clinical items as a retail pharmacist).

Untrue. PhD is not higher than a PharmD. They are both doctorate degrees.

Also, PharmD isn't necessarily clinical. One can work as a pharmacist in retail and hold a PharmD, if they desire. The emphasis of PharmD programs (ALL US programs currently) is geared toward educating you clinically, but you can still work retail (which, btw you can do clinical items as a retail pharmacist).

Well this is essentially what I was trying to get across. Thinking of PhD gives thoughts to just classroom, book stuff. However there are many PharmD's that teach in the classroom too, and provide their clinical/retail expertise to students. So you can't just assume that PhD is higher than PharmD.

That's not true. PhDs at my school earn as much as PharmDs - some earn more. A associate professor in pharmacoeconomics at my school earns $102K and an associate professor in basic sciences earns $115K. The dean of my school (a PhD) earns $228K. A former (mostly retired) Dean (also a PhD) brings in a cool $203K.

In the CU system at-large, 376 professors earn more than $100K, many approach $200K. This is in a broad range of fields from economics to architecture.

My source is the Denver Post which maintains a database of State employee salaries.

There's nothing to sneeze at about PhD salaries. Granted, I'm sure they hustle for that money. It's not a job I'd want.

To put things in another way, you can have both a PharmD and a PhD. In fact, I think at some schools you can even earn both concurrently. However, the average time to complete both degrees concurrently takes a long time, and it's probably not very popular either.... I had always imagined a PharmD/PhD route to be something for a hardcore academic or someone who wanted to go into pharmaceutical research.

--Garfield3d

That's not true. PhDs at my school earn as much as PharmDs - some earn more. A associate professor in pharmacoeconomics at my school earns $102K and an associate professor in basic sciences earns $115K. The dean of my school (a PhD) earns $228K. A former (mostly retired) Dean (also a PhD) brings in a cool $203K.

I think that has to do more about the position, rather than the degree.

Lol, I'm your signature? I'll say it again for you. My final 3 years were a 3.98, final 2 were closer to a 3.9 ( Because of A-'s that occured in those last 2). Nevertheless, I am flattered. Thanks for the warning to the women too. I'm sure they are more willing to get with an individual who was rejected from CalNorthstate in its first year of interviews.

I cant wait for you to be banned for your trolling. Just counting down the days.

Moderators please take notice.

My final 3 years were a 3.98, final 2 were closer to a 3.9 ( Because of A-'s that occured in those last 2).

I call it as the way I see it. You have been caught in a lie but yet, you continue to lie. So your GPA in your 4th and 5th year is 3.9 but if you include your 3rd year GPA, your GPA would increase 3.98? How is that possible? You took 30 units per quarter and had all As during your 3rd year?

I took many many units each quarter in my third year plus nearly full loads in summer sessions, yes. I was trying to graduate by the end of my 4th but came to realize it wasn't going to happen. My 4th and 5th years consiquently were much lighter as far as units go. My last two years I had a few A-'s. This isn't something that can be argued and I refuse to respond to you any longer. Good luck with your future attempts at getting an acceptance and consider adjusting your attitude--It just might be the key.

I took many many units each quarter in my third year plus nearly full loads in summer sessions, yes. I was trying to graduate by the end of my 4th but came to realize it wasn't going to happen. My 4th and 5th years consiquently were much lighter as far as units go.

Wait a minute. You took "many many units" during your third year so you can graduate in 4 years but then you decided to take a "much lighter" course load during your 4th year causing you to graduate in 5 years?

What happened? You ran out of energy? You claimed to have a 3.98 during your 3rd year so it can't be because you couldn't handle the course load.

PEOPLE...please stick to the topic that the OP has...do not use someone else's topic to argue...this will not only be disrespectful to the OP but to SDN...

geez, no wonder my colleagues don't visit pre-pharm anymore...it's full of whiny, thin-skinned blokes who can't handle a little internet BS.

anyway...twester, that's the academic field in the health sciences, and we all know how "realistic" school is compared to real life. If you factor in all the, hmm, other PhD's out there (ie history, art, etc...) and take out the damn deans/associate deans/chancellors/vice chancellors/CEO's/CFO's/etc... PhD's make less than PharmD's.

and of course the dean's gonna make tons of cash... dean's aren't average. See my original post about "average"

and PhD's living longer? Sure... I mean, those extra years are at the end. Who cares when all your friends are dead and you're just stuck on the couch watching TV. hahaha. But really, it's the stress MD's/PharmD's/etc... endure. I don't know too many PhD's that actually deal with...you know...reality.

phd is the pinnacle of degrees, easily better than md, pharmd, jd. professional degrees pale in comparison to a research degree in difficulty and prestige.

phd is the pinnacle of degrees, easily better than md, pharmd, jd. professional degrees pale in comparison to a research degree in difficulty and prestige.

And Ph.Ds are pretty insufficient for clinical practice. It really just depends on what you want to do.

In the CU system at-large, 376 professors earn more than $100K, many approach $200K. This is in a broad range of fields from economics to architecture.

My source is the Denver Post which maintains a database of State employee salaries.

There's nothing to sneeze at about PhD salaries. Granted, I'm sure they hustle for that money. It's not a job I'd want.

Yes, but how long did it take for them to get tenured and how long did it take for them to finish up their phd? Postdocs included? A couple year headstart can make a big difference. Many places take 5+ years of work as an assistant professor and then tenure is not always guaranteed.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I know many a phd that sits on his or her arse and took the long way to get it. It depends on the area and your aspirations. Do you really want a phd in ecology handling your drugs or managing your care? I actually know a person that got a phd for fun. He worked full time and cranked it out in about 2 years. He is a gifted person, but there was NO benefit for him to finish it. It is just something he likes to say he has.

That is incorrect. There is no time table on a PhD. You have about a years worth or courses after which you research, write, and defend your dissertation. This can take anywhere from a year (highly highly unlikely) to over five. It depends on your field, topic, and dissertation committee. A PharmD has nothing at all to do with a PhD.

So true. I think most people are misinformed about the length of acquiring a PhD., and usually tend to assume its a four year experience. I've actually heard of people who took about six years to complete a PhD. Like you say, it depends on your field,topic, mentor, and dissertation committee.

Yes, but how long did it take for them to get tenured and how long did it take for them to finish up their phd? Postdocs included? A couple year headstart can make a big difference. Many places take 5+ years of work as an assistant professor and then tenure is not always guaranteed.

Oh, absolutely correct. An academic career as a PhD takes a lot of time and work to establish. My point was just that people with PhDs are well compensated, in and out of the health sciences (at my school at least).

lol says the PhD in underwater basketweaving with an inferiority complex making $30k a year teaching stuff to people who don't care and lives an entirely theoretical existence :luck: