Is PhD in Clinical Psych still viable? What are some good alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given all that I've read about the internship situation for clinical psych PhDs, I'm feeling a bit dispirited about where to go from here...

I have mentors and family in the field, but as they are later in their careers, they admit to being unsure about the path ahead for clinical psych.

So I'm seeking thoughts from anyone who might be early to mid career in this field :

Do you have recommendations for a young student, looking to go back to school for Psychology? I've done a lot of research about the various avenues. I've been admitted to Michigan's MSW program, as well as UNC's (chose these for their strong clinical focus, positive psych, possibility for research, strong academic environment etc.)

I'm inclined to want to just start out on the PhD Psych track, or go for an MA in social/personality (for broad foundation and to make me competitve applicant for PhD programs). However, that would mean another year of working, wherever I can find a research assistantship, or higher paying position to build up my finances.

Starting the clinical MSW in the fall would at least give me access again to the classroom environment and connections to professors and other students. I've been feeling lost and could really use the boost to reinvirgorate me about the options. Both UMich and UNC are good places to be in the academic world.

So that's my tough decision - head back to school and get started learning and connecting, vs re-enter the job market (for which I'm not terribly excited) and apply again in December for MA & PhD programs...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

PS: I would consider my application right now to be 'decent' for the more competitive schools - B.A. from a good liberal arts college, decent GPA, GRE verbal was 96th% and quant was closer to average. Research experience in undergrad and post-grad. No publications. Have been working outside of my field (but at some good universities) for the past couple of years, but have not been staying involved with research

Members don't see this ad.

Sky's not falling just yet Chicken Little. The field is changing, sure, but we ain't going anywhere. If you're interested in competitiveness, give some detailed stats and post in the WAMC thread.

Also, more specifically what do you want to do in clinical psych? That may help us to give you some more directed advice.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to just do psychotherapy, then the clinically-oriented MSW sounds perfect for your career goals.