Is Podiatry Still a Good Career Choice Despite Residency Problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear so much about the residency issues facing podiatry students - do most feel podiatry is still that "hidden gem" or even a good field to go into given the current situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear so much about the residency issues facing podiatry students - do most feel podiatry is still that "hidden gem" or even a good field to go into given the current situation?

I think with most professions you can control your destiny..for the most part. It may be foolish, but I feel as though I have the capability to be #1 in my class whenever I go to podiatry school. Have that ambition. Have an intense desire to learn everything you can and separate yourself from your peers. If you do this, you increase your chances of obtaining a good residency (hoping you have social skills). Good surgical training and practicing in a state that doesn't limit your scope can lend itself to a good career as a podiatrist. Create a niche, learn the latest foot and ankle procedures, but also realize that even the most basic office procedures will take up part of your day too...the so called bread and butter. Do these things and I see no reason why you cannot make $150,000-$200,000 at the peak of your career...if not more considering what I have seen from several on this site that starting offers can be at the low end of that. This is just my observation as a pre-pod. I am sure those who have been through it can shed more light on the matter.

The most important thing to take home...it is what you make it...for the most part.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say Podiatry was ever a "hidden gem". lol Where did you hear that? Podiatry has had a history of uphill battles and because of the low number of Pods, the lobbying force is tiny compared to the MD's lobbying associations.

I would say that the past 10-15 years has been a highlight of Pod with Pods gaining more respect and acknowledgment with their MD/DO peers and getting hospital privileges is a lot easier than before.

As far as safe goes, I would say it is a crap-shoot. Do NOT think just because you have a high class ranking and a good gpa you will get a residency. I spoke with a 4th year students at a pod school and someone brought up the whole "oh yeah but the people who didn't get residency spots this year probably didn't have the grades etc" and the 4th year Pod student was like "No, that is totally wrong! I matched but there were classmates who didn't match that had way better gpa than me"

I think another "hidden gem" right now is PT. This year, all PT will start to graduate with a Ph.D degree instead of a masters. All the masters programs are supposed to transition to Ph.D degree but the number of years in those masters programs are still unchanged! I can def. see in a few year, the masters programs will add on more years to the program so they can make more money. Just like how Pharmacy used to be a bachelors and then there was a ton of 6 year bachelors +pharmD combine programs and now most pharmd are 8 year programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say Podiatry was ever a "hidden gem". lol Where did you hear that? Podiatry has had a history of uphill battles and because of the low number of Pods, the lobbying force is tiny compared to the MD's lobbying associations.

I would say that the past 10-15 years has been a highlight of Pod with Pods gaining more respect and acknowledgment with their MD/DO peers and getting hospital privileges is a lot easier than before.

As far as safe goes, I would say it is a crap-shoot. Do NOT think just because you have a high class ranking and a good gpa you will get a residency. I spoke with a 4th year students at a pod school and someone brought up the whole "oh yeah but the people who didn't get residency spots this year probably didn't have the grades etc" and the 4th year Pod student was like "No, that is totally wrong! I matched but there were classmates who didn't match that had way better gpa than me"

I think another "hidden gem" right now is PT. This year, all PT will start to graduate with a Ph.D degree instead of a masters. All the masters programs are supposed to transition to Ph.D degree but the number of years in those masters programs are still unchanged! I can def. see in a few year, the masters programs will add on more years to the program so they can make more money. Just like how Pharmacy used to be a bachelors and then there was a ton of 6 year bachelors +pharmD combine programs and now most pharmd are 8 year programs.

LOL. I am not sure if you are joking.

It's DPT and that has been around for a while...

If this guy is saying PT is a "hidden gem" in a career choice and that Podiatry is a bad profession then he is definitely a troll. I have talked to all types of doctors (DO, MD, Dentistry, Podiatry, Optometry, etc) and each has said that the only profession in a medical type field that they would advise against is Physical Therapy.

PT is 3 years in schooling, the pay isn't great, and the job is relatively boring from what I have heard.

DPM is 4 years in schooling, the pay is very good, and in my belief the job is not boring at all.

If this guy is saying PT is a "hidden gem" in a career choice and that Podiatry is a bad profession then he is definitely a troll. I have talked to all types of doctors (DO, MD, Dentistry, Podiatry, Optometry, etc) and each has said that the only profession in a medical type field that they would advise against is Physical Therapy.

PT is 3 years in schooling, the pay isn't great, and the job is relatively boring from what I have heard.

DPM is 4 years in schooling, the pay is very good, and in my belief the job is not boring at all.

All subjective, but majority of health care professionals I've spoken to have said positive things about Podiatry.

Yes the residency situation is troubling, but there has to be something to the ones that did not get a spot personality, clinical skills, professionalism, bad choice in externships. I do not see it being some sort of lottery that is saying you get a residency and you do not.

Just about every health profession has some sort of baggage or downside to it, go with what you will like.

Keep in mind that the residency situation is being remedied. It may not be moving along as fast as we would like but 15 spots have already opened up since match day.

Nothing in life is 100%. If you decide this is the career for you then jump in with both feet. Work hard in school and give it your all. :thumbup: