Is Post-Bacc the same as after B.S. Bachelor's classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LikeDaniel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this board and unfortunately it's a pretty NewB-ish question, I believe.

I have the opportunity to go to one school that offers a post-bacc certificate which will satisfy my remaining prerequisites and I have the opportunity to go to another school (that I like more) that doesn't offer a technical "post-bacc" certificate, but does offer all of the same classes I was going to take in the former.

Part of the reason I want to do this is for the aforementioned prereqs, the other part is to demonstrate an upward trend with my GPA.

My question is: Are all bachelor's classes after the acquisition of a bachelor's degree "post-bacc"? Or does it have to be a special program?

Thanks,
-LD

Members don't see this ad.

That's good to know. Thank you.

Does anyone know if finishing a formal post-bacc program would look better to adcoms than the same classes taken without a certificate at the end?

-LD

Does anyone know if finishing a formal post-bacc program would look better to adcoms than the same classes taken without a certificate at the end?

-LD

Depends. The formal post bac offers more structure and advising. It's directors often meet with deans of admissions and promote their graduates. Thus med schools are familiar with these programs and their graduates. And sometimes there's linkage. So I don't think it's accurate to say there's no advantage of formal vs a do-it-yourself postbac. Does the certificate itself matter? Not really.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

-LD

Another issue to consider is that sometimes when you take classes after you graduate, you aren't given the same priority to enroll in classes as the degree seeking students which could delay you some. A formal structured postbac wouldn't be likely to have that issue.

There can also be a big cost difference between the two.

I really appreciate the insight, guys! I'm currently seeking employment in two different universities (one of which has a job culture that I think I would enjoy much more) and am planning on using their tuition remission program to finish up my prereqs. So depending on which university offers me a good financial fit for me and my family (if either!) that will be the determining factor as to which I do.

Thanks again!
-LD