Is radiology really that hard to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the charting the match document released by the AAMC, about 838 US graduates entered the match, and only 60 didn't get a spot.

Those sound like pretty good odds to me.

According to the USMLE data, you had a greater than 70% chance of matching if you had a usmle between 190 and 220.

How can HANS say you need a >240 for a good chance to match?

Members don't see this ad.

According to the charting the match document released by the AAMC, about 838 US graduates entered the match, and only 60 didn't get a spot.

According to the USMLE data, you had a greater than 70% chance of matching if you had a usmle between 190 and 220.

How can HANS say you need a >240 for a good chance to match?
I guess you have to define what you think is a "good chance". A 30% chance of going unmatched is unacceptable for me. I'd like it up near 90-95% before I felt comfortable. Not to mention that the ones with 190-220 realize that they are below average step 1 and might have other reasons for applying (fantastic research, connections, class rank, etc.).

There is a self-selection phenomenon. I'd bet all specialties, perhaps with the exception of dermatology and categorial plastic surgery, have similar or better match statistics.

More simply, folks in the lower half of their class with a 205 step 1 don't tend to apply to neurosurgery.