Is Research in Psychiatry a big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to do research this summer for a stipend in psychiatry. Thing is I tried research in undergrad but didn't finish it because several factors, including anxiety and depression. I want to try research again, but don't know if I'm smart enough to put together a project. At this point, I'm bottom quarter of the class and I just feel like most of my classmates are smarter than me. I'm very interested in psychiatry and psychiatric research and feel like I should take advantage of this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying for a research track position?

Research can be handy setting apart top applicants but if that's not you, I think your best bet would be spending your time doing what you're passionate about rather than something perfunctory....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you applying for a research track position?

Research can be handy setting apart top applicants but if that's not you, I think your best bet would be spending your time doing what you're passionate about rather than something perfunctory....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are you saying if I'm not a top student don't even bother doing research? My only other option during a 12 week summer is to do nothing or travel. I don't think want to go into academic psychiatry, but I feel like every physician should do research at some point in their medical career.

Members don't see this ad :)
What distinguishes good from great is not wasting any opportunity, you wouldn't know how useful this experience might be one day.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it, man.

I'm a bit confused though, you say that you "don't think your smart enough to put together a project".

What does this mean? Research for the medical student isn't exactly differential equations and abstract mathematics... more so just requiring dedication, aspiration, and diligence. Perhaps creativity depending on your role.

It would make most sense to take over a project that is already in the works or on the mentor's backburner. Summer would be kind of tight to put together a proposal, IRB application, collect data, etc.

What sort of project were you thinking?

Last edited:
Do it, man.

I'm a bit confused though, you say that you "don't think your smart enough to put together a project".

What does this mean? Research for the medical student isn't exactly differential equations and abstract mathematics... more so just requiring dedication, aspiration, and diligence. Perhaps creativity depending on your role.

It would make most sense to take over a project that is already in the works or on the mentor's backburner. Summer would be kind of tight to put together a proposal, IRB application, collect data, etc.

What sort of project were you thinking?
This. Summer research for med students should be pretty much a "pre-packaged" experience. Whoever is paying your stipend is likely to have some specific tasks in mind for you, otherwise you're just wasting their time and grant $$. Especially for a novice, this is also critical for learning.

Reactions: 1 users
So are you saying if I'm not a top student don't even bother doing research? My only other option during a 12 week summer is to do nothing or travel. I don't think want to go into academic psychiatry, but I feel like every physician should do research at some point in their medical career.
No. I'm saying don't do it for the sake of being a more competitive applicant. Do it if you're passionate about it.

Research experience is more expected amongst top tier applicants who have stellar records otherwise and there can be little to distinguish them other than nice-to-haves like research. A summer of research does not compensate for red or pink flags.

I'm not saying avoid it. I'm just saying you should do it if it's something that you have a drive or passion to do. Not in efforts to become more competitive.