Is research required to look good on dental applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will research make my application "look good" even though I may not enjoy it?

• Yes it will. Do some research.

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Yes it will. Do it if you want.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • Not really.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters

helprosie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second yr and trying to make sure I'm well prepared for when my application cycle comes up. I plan on applying to many schools including UCLA and UCSF which are out of state for me. I've read that they are research heavy but some ppl with no research got an interview or accepted. Personally, research doesn't interest me a lot. So, do I need to do some research to have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have never done it, try it! You might love it. But if after a couple of weeks you feel you hate it, stop.

I'm a second yr and trying to make sure I'm well prepared for when my application cycle comes up. I plan on applying to many schools including UCLA and UCSF which are out of state for me. I've read that they are research heavy but some ppl with no research got an interview or accepted. Personally, research doesn't interest me a lot. So, do I need to do some research to have a chance?
Yes, UCLA and UCSF are research-heavy institutions, but they do NOT require research... I went to the UCLA dental school tour and they said that less than half of the matriculated applicants did some form of research. Does research help your apps? Heck yes, but is it required, no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research would help at research oriented schools but take into effect that OOS acceptances for UCLA and UCSF are already difficult as it is, so don't bank on taking a year of research to ensure that you will be interviewed/accepted at UCLA or UCSF. Your application would need to be stellar/near stellar to compete with in state applicants

I hope not. I'd hate to have to "make it up" by doing grunt work.

Edit: Ah I see you're applying to competitive schools.

Then yeah, I'd say it's best you get some, unless it cannibalizes the time for other activities you're passionate in.

Personally I'm just crossing my fingers that dental schools don't ask (I went to a pretty research heavy undergrad school...but starting grunt work now doesn't appeal to me).

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: 1 user
@JLT223: Do you think if Penn emphasizes on research? Do you personally have any research under your belt?
They are research heavy but not having any research experience on your app won't kill your chances. I personally had none.

Based on what I've seen, do it because you want to rather than because you want to indicate in your application that you did it. It doesn't seem to be brought up particularly during interviews, but my two cents (which may be wrong) would be that it wouldn't hurt to take one summer of research under your belt. You've never done it right? You won't know until you try :)

It can make your application look good only if you can talk substantially about it. It is not required of you. From what I was told, do research only if you are actually passionate about it, not because you think it is something for you to check off of the pre-health checklist. Giving it a try won't hurt, but if you find that it just doesn't click for you, then it's no big deal.

Don't do it just for the sake of padding your app, even though that's why many people do research. I got into many "research heavy" schools with 0 hours of it

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

I would disagree with you on this. Two of the adcoms I've spokened to say they regard research quite highly. Just because you got in without doing any doesn't mean it has no impact on the admissions process. It does look good on the application. Is it 100% nessecary? No. But would it have an impact on your application? Certainly, according to the adcoms I've spoken to and I certainly value their opinions much more than people on sdn.

Later on in residency you could have an option to participate in research such as demographic/dental materials research. And you can get a stipend for that adding extra income to pay off loans. Getting that experience will certainly help you in the long run.

if the research is not something you are interested in doing, drop it. Find something you want to do.

I would disagree with you on this. Two of the adcoms I've spokened to say they regard research quite highly. Just because you got in without doing any doesn't mean it has no impact on the admissions process. It does look good on the application. Is it 100% nessecary? No. But would it have an impact on your application? Certainly, according to the adcoms I've spoken to and I certainly value their opinions much more than people on sdn.

Later on in residency you could have an option to participate in research such as demographic/dental materials research. And you can get a stipend for that adding extra income to pay off loans. Getting that experience will certainly help you in the long run.

if the research is not something you are interested in doing, drop it. Find something you want to do.
Keyword is "really". It will help your application if you can talk about it enthusiastically and actually demonstrate what you've learned to the person interviewing you. This is the same rule of thumb that applies to anything else. Too many people just do it to pad their application, which admissions officers and interviewers can see right through it. I never said it had no impact on the admissions process.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies! I'll try it out and if it still doesn't appeal to me, then I'll stop. I guess I should experience it before having strong feelings. Thank you again!