Is Sackler a Good Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently heard about a medical school in Israel called Sackler and was wondering if it is a good school. the person who told me about it said that it is the only overseas school with US accreditation; I'm not sure what this means, but maybe someone here can clarify. Is it hard to get in? Can a graduate from Sackler gain competitive residencies or would the student be stuck with second rate/undesirable residencies? Is attrition rate as high as other Foreign schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody is responding because pre-allo is geared toward US allo schools. Sackler is an Israeli school and not accredited by the LCME. I believe it has some NY state affiliation/accredition. I would look at it as a good non-US option, but not something you should lean towards in lieu of a US allo school if your goal is to practice in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody is responding because pre-allo is geared toward US allo schools. Sackler is an Israeli school and not accredited by the LCME. I believe it has some NY state affiliation/accredition. I would look at it as a good non-US option, but not something you should lean towards in lieu of a US allo school if your goal is to practice in the US.

gotcha. thanks!

They're all a bunch of sacklers if you ask me.

Since I think its more helpful to have a hard-evidence based response than an opinion based response from based on what we all know is most often true of the medical school system in the US (that mainland schools are much better than foreign/off-shore schools), here goes.

Sackler is actually a great school. Their alumni are spread across the US in teaching positions. In fact, I interviewed with an OB/GYN that is also a professor at University of Chicago. They have people all over, from UCLA, USC to practically everywhere in the East Coast, including some of the main hospitals out there - Johns Hopkins, Beth Israel Deaconness, Yale/New Haven...don to Emory...check out the website.

It is affiliated with the state of new york, and statistics are that 90%+ get first or second choice residencies. A portion of clerkships are done in the US to get the necessary recommendations, and most often I have heard physicians say the students they have worked with from Sackler are much better prepared for the practical/hands on work and are much less shy performers, but the paperwork side is what lags.

Finally, I've checked out all of the match lists for the past few years, and am looking at the 2008 list right now...It includes pediatrics positions at Johns Hopkins, a Neurosurgery residency at Brown (Rhode Island), Neurology, Oncology, Pathology, Radiology, Dermatology, Orthopedics...pretty much anything you could imagine is involved on the list.

I also recently spoke to an emergency room doctor at UW-Health in Madison, one of the largest hospitals and most well-equipped trauma centers in the state. He told me his path involved mostly public schooling. He went to a "lesser known" medical school, and still ended up with an MD. His residency placed him with other match-ees from Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Johns Hopkins...In the end, hard work is what takes you to the next step.

After all of this, I am of the opinion that wherever you go, you should go for the experience, not for the name or the prestige. No single school will give you a better chance if you end up being unhappy. If going to Sackler will make you a more calm, relaxed, happy medical student, then by all means, GO! If you would rather go to Duke or University of Washington because they rank among the top tier of Medical Schools within the US Mainland, but wind up feeling a bit out of place, you will not hit pique performance.

Choosing where to attend medical school for four years is incredibly important. Don't base the choice on which place will give you the best opportunities later, base the decision on where you will feel and do your best. If both coincide, then congratulations!

I attended an interview at McGill in Montreal, which is an incredible school. I met quite a few of the students there and while I feel that school is absolutely fantastic, I dont want to relive high school and college. I attended schools with great teachers that taught me quite a bit, but I did not feel like I was in the right environment, and even now I feel as if I performed less than my best. Some of the students I met couldnt talk about anything but the school and their studies. When I spoke to people from Sackler, they spoke incredibly highly of all of the other students there, and only mentioned how happy they are.

So like I said, certain people will do well at certain places. You have to decide you are a:thumbdown: X person who will do well at X school.

Good luck with the decision.

According to some PD's I've talked to at the big hospitals in Boston, Sackler is really considered on par with US medical schools.

You'll probably have more luck & get more info by checking out the forums on Israeli schools here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=86

This would be really surprising to me. Bottom line, your best bet is always going to be a US Allo school Not saying Sackler is a bad place or you would get a bad education there, but I seriously doubt that most Program Directors consider a foreign school to really be on-par with US schools. My 0.02.

This would be really surprising to me. Bottom line, your best bet is always going to be a US Allo school Not saying Sackler is a bad place or you would get a bad education there, but I seriously doubt that most Program Directors consider a foreign school to really be on-par with US schools. My 0.02.

OF the non-US schools, it is highly regarded. Is that better for you?
I mean what are you doubting - that I didn't actually speak to program directors about it, or that they lied to me?

Of course a US Allo school is going to be a person's best bet, though.

OF the non-US schools, it is highly regarded. Is that better for you?
I mean what are you doubting - that I didn't actually speak to program directors about it, or that they lied to me?

Of course a US Allo school is going to be a person's best bet, though.

Hey no need to take offense. I just was stating what I think is pretty well accepted as a truth: PDs generally value US MDs higher than foreign MDs. Yes, Sackler might be better than most if not all Caribbean schools, but it isn't "really considered on par with US medical schools."

Are you a student at Sackler? They might not have wanted to tell you straight to your face that you would be at a disadvantage when applying. It sucks, but thats the way many people are.

Hey no need to take offense. I just was stating what I think is pretty well accepted as a truth: PDs generally value US MDs higher than foreign MDs. Yes, Sackler might be better than most if not all Caribbean schools, but it isn't "really considered on par with US medical schools."

Are you a student at Sackler? They might not have wanted to tell you straight to your face that you would be at a disadvantage when applying. It sucks, but thats the way many people are.

Sorry. I was defensive b/c it seems like every time I post something lately someone says, "I doubt it...." :oops: But it was poor wording on my part.

I didn't mean "on par" in the sense of the same as, exactly. I meant it is more highly considered than other foreign MD schools, and in some cases, some US DO schools. (And that is not a reflection of the schools, but of some older PD's opinions of DO vs MD.)

I'm NOT a Sackler student, but a US MD student.
But when I was applying I did seek a lot of advice about the difference b/w carib. MD, US DO, and schools like Sackler, or Ben Gurion U.

is well known by PD's and not considered on a par with Caribbean schools at all. It is accredited by the Regents in NY. I've known several people who went there instead of a US school for personal reasons. They have incredible clinical and research opportunities, and in some fields are unofficially known to be better than many US schools. That being said, you are still an IMG, with all the potential hassles that accompany that.

That being said, you are still an IMG, with all the potential hassles that accompany that.

I think no matter how you slice it, you have to come back to the above statement. If your goal is to practice in the US, you are pretty much always best off attending a US school. This is not saying that US is best quality or demeaning other school options. Just saying that the process has a systemic bias towards its own.

I think no matter how you slice it, you have to come back to the above statement. If your goal is to practice in the US, you are pretty much always best off attending a US school. This is not saying that US is best quality or demeaning other school options. Just saying that the process has a systemic bias towards its own.

I've talked to a few that went to an israeli medical school over an american, but it tended to be because of religious reasons or they were hardcore interested in international medicine and ben-gurion university has a strong program in that which actually requires international rotations and what not.