Is shadowing 3-4 hours a day enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1437

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be shadowing a DO next week, but I'm also studying for the MCAT. Is shadowing 3-4 hours a day for a week and getting a letter of recommendation enough? I shadowed an MD back in 2005 for 5hrs/week for about 15 weeks as well, so I do have prior shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that all that you can do? Is that all the D.O. you're shadowing will let you do? In either case, I would say just get what you can get. If you get an LoR out of the deal, it will be worth your time.

I think that's plenty as long as the DO gets a good feel for who you are as a person and osteopathic candidate. That comes down to you though and if you're comfortable sharing your opinions/thoughts/achievements with the DO. Good luck though! I only shadowed my DO for five hours one day and he agreed to write me a letter. Does the DO you're shadowing know that you hope to receive a LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the MCAT in about 3 weeks, so yeah, I don't want to put too much more time into it than that. I've pretty much finished review so my MCAT strategy from now is to get as many practice problems/tests in as I can while reviewing notes.

I don't know if he specifically knows whether or not I expect a letter, I've never actually talked to the guy yet.

I'm sure if the physician is reasonable, I'm sure he won't mind writing you an LoR. I wouldn't push the hours too much if you're taking the MCAT that soon. Your timeframe and hours for shadowing sound fine.

I'm taking the MCAT in about 3 weeks, so yeah, I don't want to put too much more time into it than that. I've pretty much finished review so my MCAT strategy from now is to get as many practice problems/tests in as I can while reviewing notes.

I don't know if he specifically knows whether or not I expect a letter, I've never actually talked to the guy yet.

first off, good luck with your MCAT! and secondly, before my shadowing experience I didn't know the doctor either. It was at a family clinic and I rotated through residents/DOs so I had a different person every time I went. I think if you just talk about the process you're going through right now with your application, getting everything turned in on time, and the MCAT, he'll probably pick up on the hint or maybe even offer a LOR. My DO made a joke about it to one of his patients that I was there to check out the profession and get a letter. So I figured it was safe ground to ask after that.

I think that it is definitely enough. After about 15 hours of shadowing one doctor, I think what you see starts to get redundant and its better to stop or move on to a doctor in a different specialty.

I'm going to be shadowing a DO next week, but I'm also studying for the MCAT. Is shadowing 3-4 hours a day for a week and getting a letter of recommendation enough? I shadowed an MD back in 2005 for 5hrs/week for about 15 weeks as well, so I do have prior shadowing experience.
In my personal experience that is more than enough. I have a full time job and was only able to shadow for 4hrs two days a week and I was accepted to 3 schools and waitlisted for one. Just explain your time constraints in your ec description.

I think that it is definitely enough. After about 15 hours of shadowing one doctor, I think what you see starts to get redundant and its better to stop or move on to a doctor in a different specialty.

thats not completely true. Family practice tends to be that way. Specialties aren't like that at all. Lately, i've been watching quite a few surgeries and it never gets old.