General Admissions & OTCAS Is Shadowing at Outpatient Hospital Peds Too Similar to Private Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to squeeze in as many observation hours as I can. While I most likely want to work in peds, I also happen to be getting the most receptive OTs in peditrics as well. So far I've done school OT and this relaxation program with an OT for adults with developmental disabilities. Right now, I'm setting up one with a hospital that will be mostly outpatient and a little outpatient (probably with a nursing home). Anyway, I'm probably getting in a hospital that does outpatient peds as well.

I was given the contact info for an OT that does private practice peds. I'm concerned that my application will look like I focused too much on getting hours with children, and I will look "less well-rounded." Do you think I should forget about contacting this place, or should I go for it? I'm hoping to do one more in the fall, possibly in inpatient mental health.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone that is part of this daunting process (whether pre-OT school or in it)!

Members don't see this ad.

Do it! One of my best shadowing experiences was in peds private practice, and it is a somewhat rare opportunity. The more you know when you enter school, the better. If you know you want to do peds, seeing more of these settings can only be a good thing.

Also, it is good to always follow through with introductions, especially in a field like OT that is small enough and everyone knows everyone. Some people I shadowed reassured me that we will probably cross paths again!
(Another reason to be especially courteous when shadowing.)

I'm trying to squeeze in as many observation hours as I can. While I most likely want to work in peds, I also happen to be getting the most receptive OTs in peditrics as well. So far I've done school OT and this relaxation program with an OT for adults with developmental disabilities. Right now, I'm setting up one with a hospital that will be mostly outpatient and a little outpatient (probably with a nursing home). Anyway, I'm probably getting in a hospital that does outpatient peds as well.

I was given the contact info for an OT that does private practice peds. I'm concerned that my application will look like I focused too much on getting hours with children, and I will look "less well-rounded." Do you think I should forget about contacting this place, or should I go for it? I'm hoping to do one more in the fall, possibly in inpatient mental health.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone that is part of this daunting process (whether pre-OT school or in it)!

As long as you have a descent amount from other sectors too you should be fine (I always say have at least 10-15 from other settings). The more the merrier though! I think I had like 65 hrs in peds (two different places though), 40 in geriatrics, and 10 in inpatient at a hospital.