Is SMEP enough clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyJubilee8_18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am preparing to apply to med school for the first time (if my MCAT turned out ok) and I am a little low on clinical experience. I am going to do SMEP this summer and next semester I am going to do a research project with the psych department. I will be teaching autistic children social skills. I was wondering if this was enough clinical experience. What makes you an attractive applicant? I know some of you are already in somewhere so some tips would be nice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Hey guys, I am preparing to apply to med school for the first time (if my MCAT turned out ok) and I am a little low on clinical experience. I am going to do SMEP this summer and next semester I am going to do a research project with the psych department. I will be teaching autistic children social skills. I was wondering if this was enough clinical experience. What makes you an attractive applicant? I know some of you are already in somewhere so some tips would be nice. Thanks

I think this should be fine (IMO), I think shadowing, research projects (earlier) would have been better, and more community service. However, what you're about to under-take sounds fine.

Good Luck.

Depends where u do it. I got a ton of experience, assisted in surgeries, rounded, etc. It was great, have fun!