Is taking the MCAT in October too late to be seriously considered for the 2014-2015 applicant year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mantis Toboggin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Topic title. I don't quite feel ready enough to take it on the 18th of this month and I needed some imput as to whether or not this is a good idea (applying MD and DO).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure when applications open, when your application would be ready but I can tell you that it's extremely important to be early in the application cycle. Good luck.

I'm not sure when applications open, when your application would be ready but I can tell you that it's extremely important to be early in the application cycle. Good luck.

I'm aware of all this but I needed some additional insight on the october dates, specifically, as I've never heard of people taking it past September. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it doesn't really matter when you take the MCAT, but you do want to apply early to increase your chances because you come across as organized etc. It also gets harder to apply a second time because you will have to have an improved application. But you could take it in December and then apply the next application cycle but not this.

Yeah for most schools, sept is the last month to be considered for the current applicant cycle. If you don't feel like you're ready, I would think about taking a gap year and taking the test in January.