Is the Biology on the MCAT self teachable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

koh1995

Hi I have not taken any bios yet. I want to take the MCAT as soon as I can and will take my biology classes when I am applying to medical schools. Is it realistically possible to teach yourself all the biology covered on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

You will be at an incredible disadvantage by not taking the course. There's only so much that self teaching can get you through.

Hi I have not taken any bios yet. I want to take the MCAT as soon as I can and will take my biology classes when I am applying to medical schools. Is it realistically possible to teach yourself all the biology covered on the MCAT?

It is definitely possible but not recommended as it will take you much, much longer to master the topics and unnecessary pain that you need to go through. However, if you have no other options, you can certainly manage to do so as a lot of people including myself self-taught themselves organic chemistry, psychology, sociology, etc.

Isn't biology a pre-req for biochem? Taking the MCAT without any biology or biochem, in my opinion, would be foolish.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Setting yourself up for failure. Do not, under any circumstance, rush the MCAT.

Sincerely,

The old Crone with Yoda like wisdom :)

The biology section is arguably the most important section, and one you do not want to do poorly in. it could make adcoms question your ability to plan and correctly assess your abilities. It's also a lot of material... I do not think anyone could recommend this.

i am planning to teach myself biology from a UC schools online lecture courses. it will still be like I am attending the lecture, but I am doing it at home and not in class.
also biochemistry does not have a biology prerequisite. organic chemistry and general chemistry are the prerequisites for it at my school.

i am planning to teach myself biology from a UC schools online lecture courses.

Let us know how that works out for you. I don't think it will and think you're shooting yourself in the foot. How will you cut corners IF admitted to med school?

Let us know how that works out for you. I don't think it will and think you're shooting yourself in the foot. How will you cut corners IF admitted to med school?

i'm not cutting corners, i'm going to eventually take the classes, but I just don't have time at the moment and would like to start MCAT studies as soon as I can.
I just don't know why it shouldn't work. i will dedicate a few months in learning the biology, i know its not going to happen over night.

I do not understand why you want to take the MCAT before you take the courses. Further, why you would apply to medical schools WITHOUT having them on your transcript. It raises so many questions and none of them are good.

To me, that signifies a bad decision.

Multiple people have advised against this, but it is ultimately your decision. I recommend you give yourself enough time after self-studying bio to take a reliable practice exam or two. Use your practice exam scores to judge your readiness, and be prepared to postpone your MCAT until after finishing pre-reqs if you struggle in the bio portion. It might be helpful if you could tell us your timeline. What pre-reqs have you already taken? What year in school are you? When do you plan to apply? We could help you devise a timeline that allows you to take your pre-reqs before the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Multiple people have advised against this, but it is ultimately your decision. I recommend you give yourself enough time after self-studying bio to take a reliable practice exam or two. Use your practice exam scores to judge your readiness, and be prepared to postpone your MCAT until after finishing pre-reqs if you struggle in the bio portion. It might be helpful if you could tell us your timeline. What pre-reqs have you already taken? What year in school are you? When do you plan to apply? We could help you devise a timeline that allows you to take your pre-reqs before the MCAT.

3rd year in school: taken gen chems, o-chems, physics I, anatomy, physio, microbiology, psychology, sociology.
next semester i am taking physics II and biochemistry
plan to apply when the applications open up (June?)
take MCAT in summer.
4th year in school: biology

@koh1995 - THAT information makes the difference.

Yes, you can study for the MCAT without the "General Biology 1 & 2" as essentially, you've already had them with the anatomy and physiology. Biochem will help with the genetics...

you should be fine

Reactions: 2 users
To extend my thoughts:

gen bio I (and at my school it included II as well over 1 semester): cells (ER - smooth and rough, lysosomes, yada yada), TCA at VERY high level, basic chemistry of life, evolution, speciation, basic genetics/pedigree analysis (CF, XXY, trisomy 21, Huntington's, sickle cell), and blood typing.

Physiology is taught in physiology, not gen bio.

Biochem > all... holy awesomeness!!! (full glycolysis, gluconeo, TCA, all molecular structures, who attacks who, DNA to mRNA to tRNA to protein folding to Hb/Mb, ...)

Genetics was strengthened by biochem (full central dogma; all enzymes, pyridines, pyrimidines, etc etc etc)

Physics on the MCAT is a lot of circuits/resistors, electrostatics/magnetism, reflection/refraction and some kinematics.

For the MCAT, no matter what, at a minimum you should print out the full guide to the topics and cross each line off as you get through the topics. I think it'll also help you understand what you need from the gen bio courses in prep for the MCAT.

It's what I use as I go through topics in Kaplan's books and Khan to make sure I've covered every single line item in the AAMC guide.

3rd year in school: taken gen chems, o-chems, physics I, anatomy, physio, microbiology, psychology, sociology.
next semester i am taking physics II and biochemistry
plan to apply when the applications open up (June?)
take MCAT in summer.
4th year in school: biology

You made it sound as if you haven't had any bio! The few biology concepts you won't have covered in these classes should be fine to self-study. Make sure to look over genetics, eukaryotic cells and organelles, and evolution, although biochem should touch on those concepts.