Is the DAT too easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadyknick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is everyone killing the DAT these days?

I randomly went through the DAT discussion page and noticed so many people getting 23+ which is crazy

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably because more and more smart folks are realizing that dentistry is the way to go.

Reactions: 5 users
yeah, cant wait to see the acceptance scores go up :/

Members don't see this ad :)
this has been covered so many times, too lazy to find doc toothache's post but i'm sure doc will be in here to clarify things.

in summary: no the scores aren't going way up, maybe by a fraction of a point

Reactions: 1 user
I heard they're trying to counteract this next year by making you sit behind the monitor and read the questions with a hand mirror.

Reactions: 31 users
If I remember correctly, 09 distribution showed around 700 people scoring above a 23. We could have two post a day, everyday for the whole year with people scoring above a 23. This generation of kids use the Internet everyday and post everything. That's what's happening.

Reactions: 6 users
If I remember correctly, 09 distribution showed around 700 people scoring above a 23. We could have two post a day, everyday for the whole year with people scoring above a 23. This generation of kids use the Internet everyday and post everything. That's what's happening.
Is the 2009 distribution online? 700 sounds like a lot lol. If ~13k people take the DAT in any given year, and a 22-23 is going to be in the ballpark of the 98th percentile, taking the lower end 3% of 13k is only 390. Then again 700 is only about 5% of 13000 so you're probably right

Is the 2009 distribution online? 700 sounds like a lot lol. If ~13k people take the DAT in any given year, and a 22-23 is going to be in the ballpark of the 98th percentile, taking the lower end 3% of 13k is only 390. Then again 700 is only about 5% of 13000 so you're probably right

I was wrong. It's 1.4% or ~200 people. What was interesting about it is that in 2004 there were more people who score 23+. Wonder if it has followed same trend?

Either way same thing still applies, this is DAT season so everyone is taking and posting scores now.

You can also take into consideration that the DAT prep courses are getting better than the ones offered back in "2009". Thus prepping us for the DAT better which leads us to getting better scores. But that's just my 2 cents.

It may appear that everyone is killing the DAT lately, but:

1. SDN ≠ everyone who takes the DAT; there are lots of test takers who don't even utilize this website and may be scoring lower, you just don't see/hear about it
2. People are more willing to post breakdowns with 22+ scores than below

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
23AA is the new 19AA and that's OKAY.

I always thought you were joking when saying this but I realized your not.

we can just wait till doc puts up the new admission stats for this year to realize this is very wrong. There is no way the new average is 23.

Reactions: 7 users
I always thought you were joking when saying this but I realized your not.

we can just wait till doc puts up the new admission stats for this year to realize this is very wrong. There is no way the new average is 23.
Yeah, I just met a bunch of students at a preview day for Western... Almost all of them had a 20AA or lower. There were few exceptions. There's nothing to worry about

1. Test prep material is getting better and better. People on SDN are posting very detailed breakdowns on how they achieved their scores, which really helps future test takers. If you read enough breakdowns, you'll see the same material being used over and over again. As long as you devote enough time and use the proper resources, I truly believe anyone is capable of getting a 22+
2. SDN is full of over achievers. During my orientation week, it appeared that half of the dental school class had either heard of or used SDN when a professor asked about it.
3. It's only natural that someone with a high DAT will want to show off their scores. Combine that with people feeling the need to share everything on social media, and it may appear 23 is the new 19.
4. I believe that adcoms are looking for a well rounded applicant. GPA and DAT scores aren't everything, but they do make up a considerable part of the application decision. Make sure your GPA and DAT align. If you have a 3.8 GPA with a 19 DAT, you should retake to get a 21+. Try to get involved with things you care about, whether it be volunteering, exercising, arts and crafts, traveling, etc. During many of my interviews, I didn't even talk about academics or dentistry. We talked about hobbies, news, and my extracurriculars.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I just met a bunch of students at a preview day for Western... Almost all of them had a 20AA or lower. There were few exceptions. There's nothing to worry about

One, that's Western, where I believe the average DAT is a bit lower than most schools. Two, wouldn't you want to stand out from the crowd by having a 22 or 23? There are over 13,000 applicants every year, and I think about 6,000 are admitted.

Having gone through the application process, I would have done just a couple of things differently. I am a non-traditional student, having earned my BA many years ago. When I went back to school, I was working full-time and taking my prereqs. It was difficult to balance school, work, time with my wife, and then volunteer and shadow dentists at the same time. However, looking back on everything, I should have cut back on my work, even if it meant taking out a little bit of loans. To give yourself the best possible opportunity to get into a public school (where you will save $100k+), you really do need to make dentistry your top priority. Get plenty of volunteer hours, shadow several dentists, do research if that interests you, but keep that GPA up. My grades suffered a bit because of my work schedule. I'm rambling, but my point is, do everything you can to be the best applicant possible.

One, that's Western, where I believe the average DAT is a bit lower than most schools. Two, wouldn't you want to stand out from the crowd by having a 22 or 23? There are over 13,000 applicants every year, and I think about 6,000 are admitted.

Having gone through the application process, I would have done just a couple of things differently. I am a non-traditional student, having earned my BA many years ago. When I went back to school, I was working full-time and taking my prereqs. It was difficult to balance school, work, time with my wife, and then volunteer and shadow dentists at the same time. However, looking back on everything, I should have cut back on my work, even if it meant taking out a little bit of loans. To give yourself the best possible opportunity to get into a public school (where you will save $100k+), you really do need to make dentistry your top priority. Get plenty of volunteer hours, shadow several dentists, do research if that interests you, but keep that GPA up. My grades suffered a bit because of my work schedule. I'm rambling, but my point is, do everything you can to be the best applicant possible.
That's true but I was just replying to the whole post of 23 is the new 19, which I don't think is true. Yes of course, I am doing everything I can to improve my application even though I submitted it. Thanks!:D

So far I have never met anyone who has an AA above a 19.

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't gotten a perfect 30.

DAT too easy, riot please buff.

Reactions: 4 users
From reading sdn, it seems like tons of people got into dental schools. Is dental admission too easy these days?

Jokes. But I do think it has been easier for people to score higher because of how well these new practice materials prepare the students. Of course the DAT is based on percentile, but I don't know how they adjust for that percentile given that there's a test given out almost everyday.

Reactions: 2 users
because I've never met anyone below an AA of 19 who got into Dental School....or just an AA of 19 in general.
I've never met anyone. Ever.

Reactions: 8 users
you poor soul. I'll have a moment of silence in your honor.
tumblr_inline_nlhdetk3ma1qalwn9_500.png

Reactions: 3 users
I think sometimes people like to celebrate their test scores, and it's hard to do that when your friends don't even know what it is.

SDN breakdowns, in a way, are like telling your friends that you rocked your test, and giving them advice on how they can do it too. Except people on here care.

So high scores are worth celebrating, and this is a way to brag a little (I know I wanted to brag a little, it's an accomplishment to be done with them)

I think sometimes people like to celebrate their test scores, and it's hard to do that when your friends don't even know what it is.

SDN breakdowns, in a way, are like telling your friends that you rocked your test, and giving them advice on how they can do it too. Except people on here care.

So high scores are worth celebrating, and this is a way to brag a little (I know I wanted to brag a little, it's an accomplishment to be done with them)
Well to be honest DAT takers, regardless of score, won't care in about a year or two since they will either have gotten into dental school or rejected. It's like the SAT, high scores only hold that appealing aura until college move in day, after which SATs are never spoken of again.

Well to be honest DAT takers, regardless of score, won't care in about a year or two since they will either have gotten into dental school or rejected. It's like the SAT, high scores only hold that appealing aura until college move in day, after which SATs are never spoken of again.

Unless you plan on reapplying again lol

Attachments

• Final Statistics Report-EY14-Dental.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 191
This attached document definitely verifies that the 23AA is the new 19AA
This is from TMDSAS

Are we looking at the same document? Because that one cements the fact that 23AA is far from average.

Are we looking at the same document? Because that one cements the fact that 23AA is far from average.

I saw that too. Unfortunately, sarcasm doesn't translate well over typed text--or at least I hope it was sarcasm.

I've never met anyone that's gotten something below a 19... I guess it just depends on your exposure
I wouldn't tell you I got below an 19 either. I would just say I got a 19AA. It's not like your ever going to see my app. People try to save face.

I feel like there should be way more than 54 non-resident applicants to Texas...
The 54 refers to non residents applying through TMDSAS. It does not include those applying throug AADSAS.

Reactions: 1 users