Is the extra work worth the benefit for this minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost set on taking on a minor, Bioinformatics to be specific. It has a ton of opportunities and benefits because I get to do independent research where I'll present my project and the results, also one of the required classes has the possibility of getting published. I'm taking a gap year and all these experiences will probably help me when looking for a research position. The cons? One of the classes is said to be pretty difficult and I'd be taking it along with science-heavy semester. Would it be a good idea to get this minor? Besides all the pros and cons application wise, I've always been interested in programming and tech, so a field that incorporates those with biology seems great.

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't really help or hurt your application other than perhaps as a talking point during your interview. Do it if you're interested and want to put in the work, or don't do it if you're not really feeling it.

List this so called "science heavy semester" so we can provide you with a more helpful suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's pretty heavy. This is my suggestion: if you already have research, or are able to acquire it before applying without pursuing this minor, then forget about it. However, if you're unable to find a research position, then it might be worth going forward, and giving that semester 110%. If you don't think you can make it out of that semester with a 3.7ish then just forget about it.

If you are absolutely certain that you will get published, it might be worth pursuing. Otherwise, taking on that much of a workload is not going to be worth your time.

Yeah, that's pretty heavy. This is my suggestion: if you already have research, or are able to acquire it before applying without pursuing this minor, then forget about it. However, if you're unable to find a research position, then it might be worth going forward, and giving that semester 110%. If you don't think you can make it out of that semester with a 3.7ish then just forget about it.
Thank you. I'm actually in research right now and plan on continuing it but it's clinical research and pretty much have no chance of getting published.

If you are absolutely certain that you will get published, it might be worth pursuing. Otherwise, taking on that much of a workload is not going to be worth your time.
I have no idea, I believe there's a possibility depending on the success of the project but it's nothing certain. Thank you for the help.

Then yeah, you're fine mate. Only about 5% of pre meds actually apply with a publication (1st authors), so don't sweat it lad.

Then yeah, you're fine mate. Only about 5% of pre meds actually apply with a publication (1st authors), so don't sweat it lad.
Lol thanks, sometimes it seems everyone has published so I get paranoid!

Is it possible to take this hard course another time, or take bioinfo and move one course into the summer/fall?

Lol thanks, sometimes it seems everyone has published so I get paranoid!

You have a good chance if you are taking a gap year and can join some short term clinical projects.

Is it possible to take this hard course another time, or take bioinfo and move one course into the summer/fall?

You have a good chance if you are taking a gap year and can join some short term clinical projects.
That's true, had not thought about it. It would be complicated because the course is only offered in the fall and it has prerequisites so basically I can't take it another time. I'm thinking of maybe just doing independent research as a standalone class without the added stress of the minor. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user