Is the first DO year for residency required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trackxxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive read on many places that the AOA recommends that interns do an osteopathic residency for their first year then they could transfer to another allopathic or osteopathic program..........so is the DO 1st year internship not a requirement? does that mean I can simply start out in an MD residency program without ever doing the intern year???

Members don't see this ad.

In Mich, Ohio, Fla, and two other states that I can't think of, you must do an osteopathic internship to get a liscence. You can apply for a waiver, I have no clue how that works.

PA and WV are the other 2 states.

If you have no desire to practice in one of those 5 states, you don't have to do an osteopathic internship. And even if you do, in some circumstances the internship year can be waived by petitioning the AOA.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AOA is much mre lenient about the Propostion 48 petition and just about anyone that applies gets it. It used to be harder. So in reality, you can do residency wherever you want.