Is the MCAT and DAT somewhat identical in terms of difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT or DAT harder?

• MCAT

Votes: 92 81.4%
  • DAT

Votes: 21 18.6%

• Total voters

MedicalGuy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm totally bumped at my mcat score, and thus decided to switch to Dentistry. Physics in the MCAT was a absolute killer. I've shadowed Physicians and Dentists during undergrad, so I don't have to worry about whether the dental field is right for me. For those who took both tests, what is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn't do well on the MCAT, no worries! The DAT is a walk in the park and you'll make a wonderful dentist :)

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry isn't a cop out career of you can't cut it in medicine. In a lot of ways dentistry can be harder, especially if you go into general practice

Reactions: 4 users
oh boy this thread might get interesting:corny:

If you didn't do well on the MCAT, no worries! The DAT is a walk in the park and you'll make a wonderful dentist :)

I wouldn't say it's a "walk in the park". They are both hard in their own ways. DAT doesn't have physics but we do have PAT

Dentistry isn't a cop out career of you can't cut it in medicine. In a lot of ways dentistry can be harder, especially if you go into general practice

Nice name :thumbup:

Reactions: 8 users
I'm totally bumped at my mcat score, and thus decided to switch to Dentistry. Physics in the MCAT was a absolute killer. I've shadowed Physicians and Dentists during undergrad, so I don't have to worry about whether the dental field is right for me. For those who took both tests, what is your opinion?

you should look into pharmacy before dentistry bro.

or try carribean MD or better yet physician assistant. dental is too ez for u.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aware of that, but physics in the mcat realized I wasn't cut for the test. By no means I'm saying the Dentistry is a backup plan, as I enjoy working in Health Profession.

I'm aware of that, but physics in the mcat realized I wasn't cut for the test. By no means I'm saying the Dentistry is a backup plan, as I enjoy working in Health Profession.
That is exactly what you said... it was a backup plan cause you bombed the MCAT lol "I'm totally bumped at my mcat score, and thus decided to switch to Dentistry"

Reactions: 1 users
One section on the mcat, and you're rendered non-suitable for the profession? That spells trouble

If you took the MCAT and bombed it, and are deciding on dentistry because of that, that means you're using dentistry as a back-up. Don't lie to yourself, please.

MCAT is harder than the DAT bar none. And with the new MCAT 2015, the difference became more staggering. The PAT section can be mastered with practice. The way the MCAT is set up is a lot more challenging. With the DAT, all of the questions are just straight up question and answer.

Do what you like, and no offense, but people like you who use dentistry as a backup aren't really welcome here.

Reactions: 12 users
If you took the MCAT and bombed it, and are deciding on dentistry because of that, that means you're using dentistry as a back-up. Don't lie to yourself, please.

MCAT is harder than the DAT bar none. And with the new MCAT 2015, the difference became more staggering. The PAT section can be mastered with practice. The way the MCAT is set up is a lot more challenging. With the DAT, all of the questions are just straight up question and answer.

Do what you like, and no offense, but people like you who use dentistry as a backup aren't really welcome here.
have you taken both tests? OP specifies this in the original question.

have you taken both tests? OP specifies this in the original question.
No, but I don't need to actually take the exam to know which is more difficult.

Stop trying to stir controversy with people in the forums, please.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I am more interested in how Molarbear11 and Molarbear93 have the same avatar.

Reactions: 9 users
No, but I don't need to actually take the exam to know which is more difficult.

Stop trying to stir controversy with people in the forums, please.
so you are just speculating... akin to leaving a review on a product without actually purchasing it...

Stop speculating, "please."

Lol'ing rn

but seriously dont use dentistry as a backup

so you are just speculating... akin to leaving a review on a product without actually purchasing it...

actually I agree with @y3nd0 here, you don't need to take the MCAT and the DAT to know which one is harder, clearly and obviously, thou many reject, the MCAT is much harder than the DAT. It is so to select and weed from a bunch of premed to select few. The same with DAT. If one day there are 100 k people applying for 10k spot in dental schools, it will get harder too.

I personally took the MCAT (old version) and the DAT.

people should accept the fact that DAT is much easier than the MCAT. Of course without base knowledge, both are hard. Now with the abortion new MCAT 7 hr long, it is true that the difficulty level between MCAT and DAT is staggering.

However, lets look at PCAT and GRE required for chiropractor, PT, PA. GRE is basically a joke and does not weight as much in PA requriement while PCAT exams............welll with that many schools, it is a formality to say at most.

Not speculation when I have seen mock exams of the MCAT, taken one section of the exam "just for fun", seeing the types of questions they ask, and knowing that physics, being an actual scientific discipline, will be more difficult to master vs a section that requires only practice to build solving skills (PAT). Backed up by actual people on SDN who have taken both exams, backed up by the pre-allo forum.

I've seen your other posts on here. Take your condescending attitude elsewhere, please.

I just don't understand what is up with people who claim DAT is similar in the difficulty compared to the MCAT.

MCAT is designed to weed out, to trash.

DAT, not so much.

Brb going to get popcorn...
You can go put it back. Haha. Not going to waste any more time with studentdent00. Seen their posts and they are a subtle troll.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

who cares... this entire discussion is kind of petty.

You can go put it back. Haha. Not going to waste any more time with studentdent00. Seen their posts and they are a subtle troll.

Ain't nobody got time for that!
What a shame...the popcorn was BOGO, extra butter :arghh:

But anyways...There ain't room for trolls up in here my friend!

Two different careers...two different tests...two different lifestyles. Neither should be (or is) a fallback for the other. You must love what you will do, or else you are DEFINITELY in the wrong field...especially in healthcare.

ubject does not negate the effort required to ace the PAT section, which is perceptual in nature and can be very challenging for someone who just doesn't have good enough perceptual ability. Doing practice problems and memorizing physics formulas might be less cumbersome than trying to figure out how many cubes there are or trying to differentiate seemingly identical angles.

Save your cute speculation skillz for something else, "please."

The thing here is MCAT physics section is not about memorizing physics formulas bros.........you can understand physics from bottom up or you dont get it at all. This requires a lot of time.

PAT you can learn the skills in the short time period.

sounds like someone got raped by DAT PAT and is jealous of people with the natural spatial analytical skills.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter which test is "harder." The difficulty of one damn test over another should not determine one's profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Losers

Jk

Presents

And

Dentists

Rule

Who needs a MD when an apple a day can keep the doctor away!

Right. Guys ?

Who cares if it's his back up plan, you don't run a monopoly on who's a pre dent. He might love dentistry , and be a better dentist than any of you one day.
Futile arguement

Last edited:
I havent taken the MCAT but I know that as a foreigner, I would not do well because of of long passages, even if I were passionate about being a physician.

*pull a chair, open a coke*
Dang I'm enjoying this

The MCAT is more applicational . The DAT is more "recall".

*pull a chair, open a coke*
Dang I'm enjoying this

Wait....

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1438483528.698644.jpg

Who cares if it's his back up plan, you don't run a monopoly on who's a pre dent. He might love dentistry , and be a better dentist than any of you one day.
Futile arguement

Fellow pre-dents: Wise words have been spoken. Heed them well.