Is the NHSC Scholarship worth it in my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krdeuce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering your guys' thoughts. I'm getting an in-state equivalent of tuition at Creighton University so I'll be graduating with around $195,000 debt. I'm also joining the National Guard which will pay up to $240,000 in tuition. Would taking this scholarship (if I was fortunate enough to get it) be worth it? Just wondering because I know they restrict where you can work, and I'd really like to buy my own practice right after school

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think NHSC would fit you because you get to work in public health as payback and it sounds like you don't want to do that.

They also don't let people get it who currently have other service commitments, like your national guard commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also don't let people get it who currently have other service commitments, like your national guard commitment.
That's actually the only one they allow. Multiple commitments like that is what's scaring me though

That's actually the only one they allow. Multiple commitments like that is what's scaring me though

Will you be a dentist in the national guard?

Just wondering your guys' thoughts. I'm getting an in-state equivalent of tuition at Creighton University so I'll be graduating with around $195,000 debt. I'm also joining the National Guard which will pay up to $240,000 in tuition. Would taking this scholarship (if I was fortunate enough to get it) be worth it? Just wondering because I know they restrict where you can work, and I'd really like to buy my own practice right after school

If you're going to graduate with about $195,000 of debt, and the National Guard will cover up to $240,000 in tuition, why are you applying for this scholarship? You already have everything covered.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're going to graduate with about $195,000 of debt, and the National Guard will cover up to $240,000 in tuition, why are you applying for this scholarship? You already have everything covered.

Good question

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe s/he is looking to only do a few years of the national guard...but good question....why OP?
Good question, I wasn't really expecting to get the WICHE scholarship so I was planning on graduating with around $400,000 debt, the National Guard pays $30k (after taxes) every year for 6 years, still leaving me with $200k+ in loans. I didn't get the WICHE until I had already submitted my NHSC scholarship application, and that application wasn't the easiest so I didn't just want to unsubmit without getting some feedback first

I don't think NHSC would fit you because you get to work in public health as payback and it sounds like you don't want to do that.
I'm not opposed to public health at all, I'm from a community like that and everything. I guess I just don't know if i like being controlled haha

I'm not opposed to public health at all, I'm from a community like that and everything. I guess I just don't know if i like being controlled haha

I see

Last edited:
Good question, I wasn't really expecting to get the WICHE scholarship so I was planning on graduating with around $400,000 debt, the National Guard pays $30k (after taxes) every year for 6 years, still leaving me with $200k+ in loans. I didn't get the WICHE until I had already submitted my NHSC scholarship application, and that application wasn't the easiest so I didn't just want to unsubmit without getting some feedback first

In my opinion, I don't think this scholarship is a good fit for you. You mentioned that you want to open up your own practice right after school, which would make it very difficult for you if you were to get this scholarship. Since you have most, if not all, of your schooling covered, you can always withdraw your NHSC scholarship application. Congrats on getting the WICHE scholarship!

In my opinion, I don't think this scholarship is a good fit for you. You mentioned that you want to open up your own practice right after school, which would make it very difficult for you if you were to get this scholarship. Since you have most, if not all, of your schooling covered, you can always withdraw your NHSC scholarship application. Congrats on getting the WICHE scholarship!
Yeah possibly the biggest thing is I think somebody else could use this more than me. Thanks for the feedback!