Is the University of Washington good for pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahnster13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to the UW for fall admissions this year, and I plan on studying biology (because I love it after taking AP Bio this year in HS, not because I think it will prepare me for med school). However, I am extremely tight financially even though the FAFSA doesn't seem to think so, and I will be commuting every day to and from campus for classes.
Being a doctor is what I have wanted more than anything for as long as I can remember, and I just want to know if the UW is a good place for pre-med. I got a 2060 on my SAT, 3.8 GPA, and was in the top 5% graduating class in WA state. I didn't think my stats were competitive enough to apply out of state because I didn't think I was well-rounded enough extracurricularly. UW is the only place to which I applied, and I do love the campus and everything, I just want to know if there will be enough volunteer opportunities near campus and everything else I need to help me get into med school. I know in the end it is about how I do personally, but I was just wondering if anybody knew if UW has a halfway decent reputation of getting their pre-meds into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

UW is one of the top ranked medical schools (second highest ranked public med school behind UCSF) so you'll find plenty of opportunities on campus to develop your extracurricular activities. It's a solid school and being a WA resident means that it would be easier to get into the medical school later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google result for "university of washington pre-med":

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/advising/prehealth/fields/premed.php

Answers all of your questions.

wow..I didn't go to UW but I sure wish I had seen that page about the beginning of my sophomore year of college. Great resource!

OP: UW will provide opportunity for research and UW/the greater Seattle area has a lot of extra-curriculars to participate in. The only drawback I have heard from my friends in the science dept. there, much like any large state school, is that large class sizes, TA taught courses, and harsh curves can be pretty brutal. But you sound like a smart kid, and if you learn how to study well it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you! Just work hard!! Im sure that plenty of people from UW get into medical school, and that they all worked their tails off to do so.

Good Luck! and congrats on getting into UW, its getting pretty competitive these days.

Hi OP,

UW is a great school, and it's ranked number one for primary care. I am sure you'll find a lot of opportunities there.

I had a friend who was in the same shoes as you--her family was low on money so she was going to commute to school. But she managed to afford to live on campus for the first year so that she could live in the dorms--it's the best way to get to know people unless you're really outgoing. If you can manage it, I'd highly recommend you live on campus the first year. Once you get to know people and have a group of friends then it makes no difference where you live.

I guess we're all biased by our own experiences :). I know I wouldn't have gotten to know people as well if I didn't live in the dorms, but I have met others who got to know many more people than I did and commuted.

It's a solid school and being a WA resident means that it would be easier to get into the medical school later on.

This is true. Wa residency is virtually a pre-requisite for admission (non-MD/PhD anyway)
Being a Wa resident that goes to UW will NOT increase your chances,
however (in fact it DEcreases your chances)

UW is one of the top ranked medical schools (second highest ranked public med school behind UCSF)

Which is the biggest reason NOT go to UW as a pre-med.

Honestly, after 4 years here I feel like it's a bit of a mixed bag in terms of conduciveness to pre-med aspirations.

The main benefit of going to a school like UW is, of course, the research opportunities available. Simply put, they're amazing. Not Ivy-league, cutting-edge, Rhodes-scholar amazing, but UW is highly focused on basic science work, and it's an excellent place for an undergrad to get started in research.

If research isn't your thing, I'm not sure how highly I'd reccommend coming here. UW is a lightning rod in the state for gunner-ish, robot pre-meds (Partially due, I'm sure, to it's association with UWSOM). Everyone comes here assuming that they'll get a leg up on admissions because they did undergrad here. What they don't realize is that because the UW adcom is so intimately familiar with our pre-med curriculum, and because there are so many pre-meds at UW, they tend to be highly selective with regards to UW applicants, and any shortcomming or weakness in your app will come shining through when your file is juxtaposed with that of the hundreds of people from your class that end up applying.

If you're a URM though, all of this changes. UW LOVES, LOVES LOVES giving minority applicants a leg up. We have an academic center just off campus that's off limits to everyone except URM's, first generation college students, or highly underpriveleged kids. They have a bunch of full time tutors, a huge test bank covering virtually every class & prof, and even provide free MCAT classes. Combined with the SMDEP, it's virtually impossible to come to UW as a member of a minority with pre-med aspirations and not get into UWSOM.

Having gotten into UW obviously shows you're quite talented academically, but remember there are roughly 4500 other equally (or moreso) talented people who will be here too. You can come out of it all with a high GPA, but it's going to be a real struggle, moreso than it would at lesser schools. What you might want to think about doing, particularly with your financial situation, is go to a cheaper state school like Western or Central, or even a CC for two years to knock your pre-reqs out of the park, then transfer to UW for research, upper div classes, and (hopefully :xf::xf: :xf:) a solid two years of Husky football :D.

Compared to other schools, UW isn't really the best place to be pre-med. But if UW is the only 'good' school you got into though, then I'd go. I really doubt you'll regret it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
out of the park, then transfer to UW for research, upper div classes, and (hopefully :xf::xf: :xf:) a solid two years of Husky football :D.

Hopefully Sarkisian can make his happen :)

This is true. Wa residency is virtually a pre-requisite for admission (non-MD/PhD anyway)
Being a Wa resident that goes to UW will NOT increase your chances,
however (in fact it DEcreases your chances)

Which is the biggest reason NOT go to UW as a pre-med.

Honestly, after 4 years here I feel like it's a bit of a mixed bag in terms of conduciveness to pre-med aspirations.

The main benefit of going to a school like UW is, of course, the research opportunities available. Simply put, they're amazing. Not Ivy-league, cutting-edge, Rhodes-scholar amazing, but UW is highly focused on basic science work, and it's an excellent place for an undergrad to get started in research.

If research isn't your thing, I'm not sure how highly I'd reccommend coming here. UW is a lightning rod in the state for gunner-ish, robot pre-meds (Partially due, I'm sure, to it's association with UWSOM). Everyone comes here assuming that they'll get a leg up on admissions because they did undergrad here. What they don't realize is that because the UW adcom is so intimately familiar with our pre-med curriculum, and because there are so many pre-meds at UW, they tend to be highly selective with regards to UW applicants, and any shortcomming or weakness in your app will come shining through when your file is juxtaposed with that of the hundreds of people from your class that end up applying.

If you're a URM though, all of this changes. UW LOVES, LOVES LOVES giving minority applicants a leg up. We have an academic center just off campus that's off limits to everyone except URM's, first generation college students, or highly underpriveleged kids. They have a bunch of full time tutors, a huge test bank covering virtually every class & prof, and even provide free MCAT classes. Combined with the SMDEP, it's virtually impossible to come to UW as a member of a minority with pre-med aspirations and not get into UWSOM.

Having gotten into UW obviously shows you're quite talented academically, but remember there are roughly 4500 other equally (or moreso) talented people who will be here too. You can come out of it all with a high GPA, but it's going to be a real struggle, moreso than it would at lesser schools. What you might want to think about doing, particularly with your financial situation, is go to a cheaper state school like Western or Central, or even a CC for two years to knock your pre-reqs out of the park, then transfer to UW for research, upper div classes, and (hopefully :xf::xf: :xf:) a solid two years of Husky football :D.

Honestly OP, it's a tough call. Compared to other schools, UW isn't really the best place to be pre-med. But if UW is the only 'good' school you got into though, then I'd go. I really doubt you'll regret it.
Looks like you are one disgruntled pre-med student at UW. Hopefully I won't have to meet you some day on the wards or in the OR.

Looks like you are one disgruntled pre-med student at UW. Hopefully I won't have to meet you some day on the wards or in the OR.

A 'resident' posting a needlessly provocative response in pre-allo?
Yeah, hopefully not.

Not sure how I came off as disgruntled though. Going to UW, or any of the schools in its cohort (UCLA, U.Mich, handful of other big public schools that we compare ourselves to academically) as a pre-med is tough, tougher than going to a school of lower caliber (A certain other large pubic institution in Wa, for example :smuggrin:) Putting yourself through that, if you don't really care about school notoriety/research/D1 sports, is sort of pointless as you don't really get any extra credit for going to a tough school.
If you DO care about those things however (as I did), then UW is a great choice.

My other point was just to illustrate that UW is really big on diversity and does whatever it can to give a leg up to those who are educationally disadvantaged. These efforts are well-intentioned, but slightly overzealous and can sometimes be a bit obnoxious.

Hopefully Sarkisian can make his happen :)

Haha, yeah this season's going to be awesome (Compared to last year anyway :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A 'resident' posting a needlessly provocative response in pre-allo?
Yeah, hopefully not.

Not sure how I came off as disgruntled though. Going to UW, or any of the schools in its cohort (UCLA, U.Mich, handful of other big public schools that we compare ourselves to academically) as a pre-med is tough, tougher than going to a school of lower caliber (A certain other large pubic institution in Wa, for example :smuggrin:) Putting yourself through that, if you don't really care about school notoriety/research/D1 sports, is sort of pointless as you don't really get any extra credit for going to a tough school.
If you DO care about those things however (as I did), then UW is a great choice.

My other point was just to illustrate that UW is really big on diversity and does whatever it can to give a leg up to those who are educationally disadvantaged. These efforts are well-intentioned, but slightly overzealous and can sometimes be a bit obnoxious.

Haha, yeah this season's going to be awesome (Compared to last year anyway :rolleyes:)
Technically, I'm in between an MS IV and a resident since residency at UW does not start officially until 6/24. My previous statement was meant to be a half-joke, but I'm just calling what I see.

You seem pretty disgruntled in your first post about the situation at UW. I went to a big public university (UW-Madison if you really care) as well, as an international student with a student visa. I had also experienced the big lectures, TA taught classes (also been a TA for Intro Bio for 2 years while in grad school), research, poorly put together pre-med advising committee, and volunteer. However, I never really felt any problem with having to out gun other gunners in my class or was I ever feel lost in the system. If you really feel that way, you are going to be miserable in medical school because it is about 100X more cut throat than those pre-med courses. That's the cruel reality of recruiting people of Type A personality to medical school and expect them to be caring and nurturing physicians in 4 years.

As it stands, UWMC is a world class medical facilities with lots of opportunities to develop your extra-curricular including shadowing, volunteering, and research. If you get to know some people in there and get solid LORs, it will definitely boost your chance of getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW football sucks. Go Beavs.

You know why? Because we don't have any local prisons to recruit our players from :p:smuggrin:

Anyway, I was just a bit incredulous in that I expect comments like
"I hope I never I have to work with you" and "You're going to be miserable in med-school because you don't like gunners" to come from trollish undergrads, not a soon-to-be resident...

I had also experienced the big lectures, TA taught classes... poorly put together pre-med advising committee

...and you feel these things -helped- your chances? Man, I must have it all wrong.

Bottom line, you haven't experienced undergrad at the University of Washington. I can't say it's "harder" than UW.m, because I've never been a student there. I can only comment on things I feel MY school has going for it, and things which I feel detract from the experience. You say you T.A'd bio at your school. Awesome, but you didn't T.A Bio180 at UW (If you did, then I'm really curious to know how you sleep at night :)laugh:)

When it comes down to it, nobody cares if you were a "big fish in a little pond" or an average-size fish in an enormous pond
All anybody ever sees, or really ever cares about, is "big fish" or "average-size fish." At the end of the day, it's much less stressful to be the big fish...

That reminds me, I have some steelhead to warm up :D.
NM, op come here and stay in the Northwest.

Last edited:
UW football sucks. Go Beavs.

Yes, Washington football does suck, although there was an era, now forgotten except by the most fervent Husky fans, when Washington had great teams. But the baton has been passed to the Oregon Ducks, as evidenced by the results of the Duck/Beaver game last year.

To be fair to the Beavers, I believe they quit recruiting at prisons after Dennis Erickson left. Mike Riley is a stand up guy. He is no offensive genius like Chip Kelley, but he is a stand up guy.

Don't come here for premed or if you do plan on not having a life. Honestly can't say I know any premeds here who are actually enjoying undergrad. That is all.

Don't come here for premed or if you do plan on not having a life. Honestly can't say I know any premeds here who are actually enjoying undergrad. That is all.

As a life long Oregon Duck, I understand your pain. I would not want to be an undergrad at Washington either. Too painful, nothing to do on Saturdays in the fall unless you are a masochist. And who wants to hang around a bunch of sad pre-meds. No fun. I understand.

But I might apply to the U of W for residency. It is pretty good in a field I am interested in. But sure, when the Ducks come to town, definitely rooting for the winning team, i .e. the Ducks.

Anyway, I was just a bit incredulous in that I expect comments like
"I hope I never I have to work with you" and "You're going to be miserable in med-school because you don't like gunners" to come from trollish undergrads, not a soon-to-be resident...

You know why? If you are saying things like this when you are at an undergraduate level, what would happen when you become an MS? Say if you didn't like your psych rotation, what would you do? After all, you are aiming to go to a medical school, where you'll be classmates with a couple hundred gunners for 4 years. If you didn't like them, do you expect you'll have a good time there? Do you expect you can do it all alone without interacting with your peers? It will drive you bananas right off the bat.

Medicine is team work and requires lots of cooperation in the team. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the entire team and make everyone in the team suffer, including the patient.
...and you feel these things -helped- your chances? Man, I must have it all wrong.

Apparently so, by the time I finished my Master's, I had every EC that I needed on top of the solid education that I received at a LARGE PUBLIC UNIVERISTY. If it didn't kill you, it only makes you stronger. I was a microbiologist in graduate school so I subscribe that theory to the T.

Bottom line, you haven't experienced undergrad at the University of Washington. I can't say it's "harder" than UW.m, because I've never been a student there. I can only comment on things I feel MY school has going for it, and things which I feel detract from the experience. You say you T.A'd bio at your school. Awesome, but you didn't T.A Bio180 at UW (If you did, then I'm really curious to know how you sleep at night :)laugh:)

When it comes down to it, nobody cares if you were a "big fish in a little pond" or an average-size fish in an enormous pond
All anybody ever sees, or really ever cares about, is "big fish" or "average-size fish." At the end of the day, it's much less stressful to be the big fish...

That reminds me, I have some steelhead to warm up :D.
NM, op come here and stay in the Northwest.

Interestingly, I indeed attended UW-S for a summer quarter back in the late 90s, and I had a pretty good time there. In fact, a lot of UW-Madison students attended summer classes at UW-Seattle back in the day because the equivalent classes are considered to be much easier at UW-S than UW-M.......

The bottom line is your education is only as good as you made it out to be. If you thought of it as miserable, it'll be a miserable experience for you. It doesn't matter whether you are a big fish or a small fish in any pond size. It'll show and people from admissions can easily spot that.

You know why? If you are saying things like this when you are at an undergraduate level, what would happen when you become an MS? Say if you didn't like your psych rotation, what would you do?

Grin and bear it, not go into psych, and if someone asks what you thought of it, you give your input, kinda like what most other people here do.

After all, you are aiming to go to a medical school, where you'll be classmates with a couple hundred gunners for 4 years.

A couple hundred? All gunners huh? Funny, of the med students I've met, not one of them was at all gunner-ish. They were actually really chill and encouraging. My n may not = "hundreds", but I feel pretty safe in saying that not EVERYONE who gets into med school is obnoxiously cut throat. Is everyone on SDN who got in a hyper type-A that nobody who isn't type-A can stand?

If you didn't like them, do you expect you'll have a good time there? Do you expect you can do it all alone without interacting with your peers? It will drive you bananas right off the bat.

I'm sure not interacting with anyone would drive you bananas, but the nice thing about going anywhere is that in a group of "hundreds" of unique individuals, you're bound to find some pretty cool folks that you get along with.

Medicine is team work and requires lots of cooperation in the team. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the entire team and make everyone in the team suffer, including the patient.

....as do many other jobs. You can't like all of your coworkers, but since you're now a professional, I'm sure you've developed the ability to "play nice" for the good of the team.

Apparently so, by the time I finished my Master's, I had every EC that I needed on top of the solid education that I received at a LARGE PUBLIC UNIVERISTY. If it didn't kill you, it only makes you stronger. I was a microbiologist in graduate school so I subscribe that theory to the T.

K, well in case you've forgotten, we're still talking about undergrad here.
What about the theory of occupying an ecological niche that spares you from expending energy unnecessarily competing for resources?

Interestingly, I indeed attended UW-S for a summer quarter back in the late 90s, and I had a pretty good time there. In fact, a lot of UW-Madison students attended summer classes at UW-Seattle back in the day because the equivalent classes are considered to be much easier at UW-S than UW-M.......

Really. A bunch of Wisconsonians(ites?) trekked all the way out to Seattle, and paid several thousand in oos tuition, because it was notorious for being easy? I see :rolleyes:. You do realize they were in different states right? Even 'back in the day'?

If you thought of it as miserable, it'll be a miserable experience for you.

Uh....yeah. Usually when you think something's miserable, it's because you had a miserable experience. Thanks for clearing that up.

It'll show and people from admissions can easily spot that.

I should hope so. Good thing most people who have a miserable experience at their undergrad transfer somewhere else. Now how about the people who simply dislike the b*llsh*t associated with their school's pre-med curriculum/services? Is that another indication that someone's just not fit for medicine?

i can think of numerous universities that are much more attractive to "cutthroat premeds" than Uwash, i.e. Hopkins, WUSTL, MIT, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Harvard...

For the most part, I agree with amak, the only biggest advantage to going to UW is the research available to you. Classes are huge and getting bigger due to the budget cuts, so standing out of a class of 700 in your intro bio class will be even tougher now. UW has terrible adivers, but that isn't really a deal breaker. Another thing that is also very nice about uw is the diversity. Being a huge university, you will see people from all over the world and all different backgrounds. The types of people here will be very different than if you went to say a small private college like Carleton. You will definitely see a ton of gunners in your pre med classes and they can get a little annoying. I'd say go to UW, although there are a few negatives (most notably huge class sizes), you will definitely have fun here.

P.S. Their gym is nice too, if that matters. :)

For some reason, amakhosidlo's point makes sense. I've heard myself that a state resident applying to a medical school in that same state has a harder time getting into that school. My research teacher's son wanted to go to Harvard Medical School and he's attending Harvard undergrad now, but my research teacher told him that he shouldn't make HMS his first choice because the admissions is tougher for in-state residents.

OP here...
So I am seriously starting to think I don't want to go to the UW this fall... I have next to no money saved up, and I want to have a decent chance of getting into medical school. If I do take this year off to work and save money for school, would I still be able to get into a decent college? Would somewhere like Stanford accept somebody with my high school stats if I have been out of school for a year? Or would I just be better off going back home to Ohio for a year to gain residency, then applying to Ohio State and going through pre med there?
UW is really starting to sound unappealing...

OP here...
So I am seriously starting to think I don't want to go to the UW this fall... I have next to no money saved up, and I want to have a decent chance of getting into medical school. If I do take this year off to work and save money for school, would I still be able to get into a decent college? Would somewhere like Stanford accept somebody with my high school stats if I have been out of school for a year? Or would I just be better off going back home to Ohio for a year to gain residency, then applying to Ohio State and going through pre med there?
UW is really starting to sound unappealing...

Hhhmm, I'm not sure but I think you need to transfer into a 4 year institution once you've been out of high school.

Well I think I am going to stick it out at UW. If I work my butt off I am sure I will be able to stay on the right side of the curve and have a GPA that is decently good enough to apply for med school. I am not going to let a few disgruntled people on this forum discourage me from going to the UW for pre med, I've heard from a lot of people that actually like it there. As long as I do the work I need to do and make sure I go to professors' office hours and get to know them, I think I will be able to stand out enough to get involved in research and get some decent LORs.

Well I think I am going to stick it out at UW. If I work my butt off I am sure I will be able to stay on the right side of the curve and have a GPA that is decently good enough to apply for med school. I am not going to let a few disgruntled people on this forum discourage me from going to the UW for pre med, I've heard from a lot of people that actually like it there. As long as I do the work I need to do and make sure I go to professors' office hours and get to know them, I think I will be able to stand out enough to get involved in research and get some decent LORs.

You're going to like seattle and uw, especially come spring time. :thumbup:

I'm guessing I'm a bit older than everyone else here (late 20's). From personal experiences and those I've observed of classmates I can add some great tangents and info to this line. I am currently a medical student at Creighton University.

I graduated from UW Seattle in 2002 in Molecular Biology and would NOT recommend it to anyone trying to get into any professional program (medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, optometry, etc.). It is no doubt a relatively prestigious school known for having excellent science program and I did all kinds of great research there. The campus is beautiful and the party scene was awesome. And Husky football was good when I was there (..if you can remember back that far).

However, reasons for NOT recommending it for UW Seattle for pre-meds:

1) As stated previously, it is a pre-med magnet school which means an extremely high percentage of cut-throat kids and not a nurturing evironment (as mush as other universities). You will encounter cut-throat competition even to get freshman research spots in the lab.

2) Class size is HUGE. This isn't in itself a problem. Most pre-meds are bright enough to never require office hours. But with bigger classes means less time alloted to grading tests. When it comes to grading your long answers to questions from BIO 180-220, BIOC 440-442, the TA's may just look for certain words and not actually read the question. Over time, this means more points lost for no reason at all. For all college students, a feedback loop is created between academic achievement and studying. If I study a lot and do well on a test, it makes me want to study more the next time because I was positively reinforced. If you are not doing well on tests because of bad or unfair grading, the feedback loop becomes broken and you are in the danger zone of not caring anymore. I saw this happen to a lot of people at UW -- they started out as very studious but became indifferent to studying and grades because they learned they really had no control over them. This was especially rampant in BIO 180-220, "The Weed Out Series". Everyone who gets into UW is capable of mastering the material in general biology. So how do you weed people out a create a curve? Unfair grading and ridiculous tests that become a mad rush against time. Most potential pre-meds I knew, who are hard working and bright people, became so dishenchanted with the unfairness of BIO 180-220 that they dropped out of the biological sciences completely.

3) The grading scale at UW is extremely incremental in point 1's (4.0, 3.9, 3.8, 3.7 all the way down to 0.1 and zero). Most universities still have the old school solid A's (4.0), B's (3.0), C's (2.0), etc. Others only go as far as having differences for A + (4.0), A - (3.7), etc... The more incremented scale is worse for your GPA over time because your competition at other schools will be getting many more solid 4.0 (A's) while your are always stuck in low 3.0-3.3 land because of the curve. Even other large prestigious state schools (UT Austin, U of Michigan, UCLA, UofILL) do not use such an incremented grading scale.

4) The UW sets different mean grades for classes in different majors within the sciences. If you are lucky enough to get into Neurobiology or Bioengeneering programs (which are almost as competitive to get into as medical school) the classes are curved at about a 3.4. However, if you go into the lesser-competitive biology or zoology programs, the classes are curved at a 2.7-2.8. Your best bet for pre-med is to get into Neurobiology or Bioengeering. If you don't, you are dead meat. Continued from #2, the problem is that the classes used as the criteria for admissions to these majors are the crazy weed out classes.

5) The competition was so bad in my Physical Chemistry (for Bio Majors) class that people were stealing other people's homework out of the drop-off box to mess up the curve. My buddy's assignment inexplicably dissappeared, probably because someone used it to copy off of an then threw his away, and he ended up getting a zero which pushed his grade to by 4 tenths. There were also a lot of teachers who refused to re-grade tests, even if there were blatently obvious errors in the grading. On some homework assingment, notoriously all chemistry classes, they would just pick 3 questions out of 10 to grade. This is absolutely horrible for a high level chemistry class.

6) It is harder to get letters of recommendation at bigger schools. I did research for 2 years, even did my own project that got published 3 years later, and the faculty member from my lab still tried to blow me off when I asked. I have heard people from small, private schools say they could get LOR's from pretty much everyone and they were always happ to do it.

As stated in a previous thread, it is much better to be a "big fish in a small pond" than a "medium sized fish in a huge pond". Because of the competition at UW, being very bright and hard working will still leave you only as a "medium sized fish in a huge pond".

I grew up in Idaho (much more redneck and less sophisticated than WA) and did my first two years of undergrad at University of Idaho (WSU's sister school). U of I was a really easy school and I was a "big fish in a small pond" with a 3.8 GPA and rocking grades in all pre-med prerequisites. But, I longed for more excitment and hotter girls at UW Seattle, which I most certainly found there. But in the next two years of school I spent at UW my GPA got completely F**** up because of reaons #1-6 and I was deemed not competitive for med school. To put the sour icing on the cake, many of my friends from U of I, who in my opinion were lesser in intellect and work ethic, ended up getting into med school (WAMMI thru UW or other places). I keep getting these stupid letters in the mail from the UW Biology Alumni Association asking for donations. I will never ever give those idiots any money after how bad they screwed up my academic career...

I ended up moving to New Mexico a few years later after working boring office jobs and got a Master of Public Health. While I was getting the MPH, I redid a lot of classes at U of New Mexico, a VERY easy school. After I finished my masters, I applied to med schools all over again with my newly enhanced GPA from New Mexico and got in.

The moral of the story is that going to a large, competitive, first tier state school like UW is not a good idea for highly competitive medical school admissions.

Pick your battles wisely... I have lived in 8 different states by age 29 and have seen lots of different schools. Obviously, the West and East Coasts are way more academically competitive than the midwest, southwest, etc. If you are feeling adventurous, go to a school like University of Montana or University of Wyoming. They are ranked second and third-tier by US News but when it comes down to it the admissions peole could care less. With the marks it takes to get into UW, you could probably get a full-ride scholarship to one of these schools based on academic merit. You are guaranteed to get top grades and your professors will love you. Also, you will look more unique to medical schools becasue there aren't that many people applying from these schools. At UW, a bright, hardworking person is still just "average". My parents actually paid out-of-state tuition for my 2 years at UW which was a huge rip-off for what I got. It would've been betters spent at Seattle U, Seattle Pacific, or Gonzaga.

If or when you do get into med school, you will meet people from lots of weird school that you didn't even know existed. The main reason that these people got in is because they're a minority or are from some geographically under-represented area. For UW it's Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Everyone is smart, but most aren't extremely bright, they just played their cards right in the admissions game and got a little lucky. Admissions people are looking for smart people with good temperments, not extremely bright people who may explode at any moment.

If I could do it all over again, I would go to a small, presigious university (i.e. Carleton, Yale, Claremont-Mckenna, maybe even Gonzaga) OR a medium-sized non-competitive state school (i.e. U of Idaho, U of Montana). I know way more people that have gotten where they want to be in life by going to these kinds of schools than those going to huge, competitive state schools like UW. You either want to be on top of the competition or on the bottom of the competition, never in the middle of it.

Notwithstanding, UW is very good for engineering and business. Just not pre-med. Forgetting the pre-med part, there are numerous points to praise UW about.

The advice that I just gave out in this long composition is not new or original. It is the same advice that is in many books at Barnes and Noble on how to get into med school. I had read this advice as a teenager and it went in one ear and out the other. Now that I'm older I know that it is true and I should've listened.

I graduated from UW Seattle and agree with all 6 of Slatenator's posts. I wasn't a premed until junior year, and I still experienced everything that is undesirable about UW undergrad. The best part of my undergrad was working in a lab that I really like for years, and getting scholarships for it. I did not enjoy the actual <i>didactic</i> part of going to school here, especially as a science major.

Pick your battles wisely... I have lived in 8 different states by age 29 and have seen lots of different schools. Obviously, the West and East Coasts are way more academically competitive than the midwest, southwest, etc.

Look, fella, if you think that the Universities of Chicago, Michigan, Texas and Wisconsin aren't as competitive as the University of Washington you must think that George W Bush is in line to be the poet laureate of England. Have you ever been on any of these campuses? Ask all of the graduate and professional students from the east coast at these institutions why they came to the midwest and Texas.

Your remark was really insulting and reflects the sort of bicoastal ignorance so common on these boards.

I hope you learn more about medicine than you have about American higher education.

Alright, here is my situation...
Slatenator I did take your post into very serious consideration and brought it up with my parents, who suffice it to say are STILL the primary shareholders in my life. I am going to the University of Washington because they did not want me to go out of state and take out student loans to pay for it. I am stuck living at home and commuting 35 miles from Lake Stevens to Seattle every day because my parents won't let me take out the loans I would need to live on campus. With a 3.86 GPA, a 2060 SAT, and my set of ECs, I am SURE I would have been competitive elsewhere besides the UW. I WISH I could go somewhere else, but unfortunately I work at Target, have only about $1000 saved up (because I was not allowed to get a job until my senior year, and I took 3 months off during wrestling season :/ ), so I am basically stuck living with them. My dad apparently briefly considered med school, so he thinks he knows everything about med school admissions, and he thinks that I won't be able to get into medical school if I don't go to the only school they let me apply to, the University of Washington. My mom and my dad try to use that against EVERYTHING I try to bring up, and my dad never took the time to get to know me, so he thinks I am doomed to fail and that I will decide to drop out of school, which is not the case. I didn't take the classes I did and get the grades I get because of him, I did that for me.
I did not mean to start venting, but rather to explain the situation I am in. I want to get into medical school and I want to become a doctor more than anything, but I have no choice but to work my ass off at UW and try to get into med school from there. I appreciate everyone's input, I really do, and if anybody has any advice for my situation, believe me it would be greatly appreciated, but unfortunately for now it seems I am stuck going to the University of Washington this fall, trying to find whatever volunteer and research opportunities I can, all while working at the Lake Stevens Target to try and offset as much off the cost of my education as I can.

Last edited:
Alright, here is my situation...
Slatenator I did take your post into very serious consideration and brought it up with my parents, who suffice it to say are STILL the primary shareholders in my life. I am going to the University of Washington because they did not want me to go out of state and take out student loans to pay for it. I am stuck living at home and commuting 35 miles from Lake Stevens to Seattle every day because my parents won't let me take out the loans I would need to live on campus. With a 3.86 GPA, a 2060 SAT, and my set of ECs, I am SURE I would have been competitive elsewhere besides the UW. I WISH I could go somewhere else, but unfortunately I work at Target, have only about $1000 saved up (because I was not allowed to get a job until my senior year, and I took 3 months off during wrestling season :/ ), so I am basically stuck living with them. My dad apparently briefly considered med school, so he thinks he knows everything about med school admissions, and he thinks that I won't be able to get into medical school if I don't go to the only school they let me apply to, the University of Washington. My mom and my dad try to use that against EVERYTHING I try to bring up, and my dad never took the time to get to know me, so he thinks I am doomed to fail and that I will decide to drop out of school, which is not the case. I didn't take the classes I did and get the grades I get because of him, I did that for me.
I did not mean to start venting, but rather to explain the situation I am in. I want to get into medical school and I want to become a doctor more than anything, but I have no choice but to work my ass off at UW and try to get into med school from there. I appreciate everyone's input, I really do, and if anybody has any advice for my situation, believe me it would be greatly appreciated, but unfortunately for now it seems I am stuck going to the University of Washington this fall, trying to find whatever volunteer and research opportunities I can, all while working at the Lake Stevens Target to try and offset as much off the cost of my education as I can.

It's time for you to stand up for yourself. If you are 18, you are an adult. You are the major shareholder in your life.

Commuting 70 miles a day is a waste of money and time. According to the IRS this would amount to about $7,000 per year in mileage expense. The time spent in Seattle traffic will kill your chances of getting into medical school.

Go to the financial aids office on your own, borrow the money you need through Stafford loans. Get a spot in the dorms and work 10 hours a week on campus for spending money. Tell your parents you'll see them on holidays.:D

I'd definitely second the "commuting is a waste" comment, but I'm pretty sure it's too late to sign up for on-campus housing (probably full by now, and you don't want to be stuck in a 10 x 15ft triple anyway). There are a few off-campus studio units and single rooms to rent around the Greek district that can be pretty cheap, and are generally pretty convenient...

Also, if your family's financial situation is as modest as you say it is, but you don't quite qualify for need-based scholarships, try getting work-study approval. A lot of the student research positions (actually the majority) are work-study gigs, and a few of them are pretty freakin' sweet (Fred Hutch, SBRI, etc. :thumbup:). It would also pretty much require you live close to school, and you'd be paying your way so I really don't see what sort of objection your parents would be able to raise...

I should probably also mention the fact that I do not have a car or my driver's license...
So I am probably going to be riding the bus to and from school.

Replying to the point about work study, who would I want to talk to about that? I don't even know if my supposed need is large enough to even qualify. According to the FAFSA my expected family contribution is like $25000, which is completely ludicrous! That's more than a quarter of what my dad now makes without overytime... Add to that, the only two loans they offered me are a Stafford Unsubsidized that will cover like $1800 every quarter, and some kind of parent loan that covers like $15000 for the year, which of course my parents are not willing to take out for me. :/
Do you think if I explained my situation to the Office of Financial Aid they might be able to help me out? I'm really having a bad feeling about this fall :/

Last edited:
I should probably also mention the fact that I do not have a car or my driver's license...

Replying to the point about work study, who would I want to talk to about that? I don't even know if my supposed need is large enough to even qualify. According to the FAFSA my expected family contribution is like $25000, which is completely ludicrous! That's more than a quarter of what my dad now makes without overytime... Add to that, the only two loans they offered me are a Stafford Unsubsidized that will cover like $1800 every quarter, and some kind of parent loan that covers like $15000 for the year, which of course my parents are not willing to take out for me. :/
Do you think if I explained my situation to the Office of Financial Aid they might be able to help me out? I'm really having a bad feeling about this fall :/

:wow:. That's...roughly 3x tuition. That's about what they told me when I started out, but I was paying out-of-state. Jeez.

Getting work study is something they'll indicate on your financial aid award, right next to loans, scholarships, etc.

I'd try appealing it. Call up financial aid and explain your situation, maybe embellish a little, particularly with regards to your parent's unwillingness to pay. You're not going to be able to adjust your parent's "Expected contribution", but you might be able to get them you a bone wrt work study or maybe switching your loans to subsidized.

Try looking for random scholarships too:

http://studentaid2.ed.gov/getmoney/scholarship/v3browse.asp

Dang...that's really tough though. One good thing to keep in mind is that if you get into med, or even grad school, you don't have to start paying undergrad loans until you finish up, and in the grand scheme of things, what's another 50k on top of 150-200k...

First off, the seattle area has pretty good public transportation, so riding a bus won't be too bad. You should also get a bus pass for 100 bucks (used to be 44 :( )

Anyways, I feel for you about the work study. I just recently asked the osfa if I could get work study for this lab I've been working in for about a year, they denied me as well saying that my expected parent contribution is 23k. They told me to qualify for work study, you need an expected parent contribution of $500. Ridiculous, if you ask me. They're pretty stingy on that too. I think the best bet for you is to try to get some types of scholarships and at worst apply for a private loan, though if your parents aren't willing to co-sign it the interest rate could be pretty high, maybe around 11%.

ok well my first year is pretty much just going to be math, chemistry, and english. the math and chemistry will pretty much be review because i had AP Chem and AP Calc my senior year in high school, so if I can get by with a good GPA this year without living on campus, is it possible I will still survive if I can get on campus by my sophomore year?

Not sure I quite understand. You mean if you don't live in on-campus housing this year, can you get it next year?

Probably. I seem to remember though that students living in the dorms got some sort of preference with regards to when they were able to sign up for next year's housing. I never went through the process the other way though (coming from off-campus the previous year), so I can't be entirely sure...

Btw, why the fixation on living on campus?

well if i live on campus won't it be easier to get involved and perform well enough academically to get into med school?
i am NOT excited about commuting to school every day, AND i have to work to help pay for college, so time is wasted commuting and working that could be spent volunteering and getting research experience.
i can't just get good grades and do well on the MCAT and expect to get into med school from what i hear :/

well if i live on campus won't it be easier to get involved and perform well enough academically to get into med school?
i am NOT excited about commuting to school every day, AND i have to work to help pay for college, so time is wasted commuting and working that could be spent volunteering and getting research experience.
i can't just get good grades and do well on the MCAT and expect to get into med school from what i hear :/

You're right, you couldn't pay me to commute to UW from outside of Seattle. My hat really goes off to the people who do it...

You don't really have to live ON campus to get involved like that, though as a freshman its a pretty good way of meeting new people/getting used to living on your own. Really, living anywhere near the U.W works. I lived with like 8 people (bunch of engineers, but still...) in a house down the street from UW for two years, and my grades stayed at an all-time high the entire time. I think your academic success ultimately depends on the environment you put yourself in...

If you wanted UW housing for this year though you should probably get on it ASAP.

http://hfs.washington.edu/student_housing/residence_halls.aspx?id=3524

well now i need to find somewhere to live period
i am pretty much being kicked out right now for sticking up to my parents :/
hopefully that doesn't get in the way of my getting to med school

I'm not quite sure if anyone is actually going to read this, but here's my two cents:

Yes, the University of Washington is probably an un-ideal school for premeds.

HOWEVER (This is huge), IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU MAKE OF YOUR EXPERIENCES.

I think as an undergrad, you need to figure out for yourself what will help you get into medical school, and also what will benefit you in the future as you become a doctor. IMO, there ought to be no-cookie cutter method to go into medical school, yet some universities still promote that, (eg. Wayne State, UW, etc) but in reality, I think you need to appreciate what its like being in college. (Study what you really want to study-I tried philosophy earlier-Figured I liked ochem a little more-but ethics is pretty cool stuff though.)

Being the only-child of asian parents, you quickly realize that you gotta meet expectations, and even the thought of 'deviating' from the norm drives my folks nuts. They blast at me when I spend my friday nights helping out in the ER helping patients that have had their hips fractured or their heads blown out. They say, grades come first, and it's all grey if my volunteering will overshadow my grades because it has less quantitative value. (Perhaps this is true, perhaps not)

Yes, it probably is true that grades are VERY IMPORTANT. But I can't tell you how many residents I've talked to in the ER, from EM, to opthamology, FaMED, IM, Surgery, etc...that grades will never dictate whether you will be a commmitted doctor-in the sense that you actually appreciate your job enough to be good at it. Yes, you can do all the right things, score high on your exams, but I cannot tell you how many residents have told me on the long nights, "You sure you really want to do this?" My reply, "Why do you think I'm here at this hour?" Most have said if they could do this again, they would choose another profession.

Bottom line, I've taken a huge deviating path from what asian families would typically expect, especially from an only child. Yes, you can grill me all you want that i'm a spoiled individual-I've heard it enough, and it's probably fair, to give you all the benefit of the doubt. But what I want to emphasize, is to figure out what you want to do, whether or not you like it, and to pursue the things you like. I don't volunteer because it will give me a "one-up" over someone else. In fact, I began volunteering because I went through some personal issues in my sophomore year that pretty much F'ed over my grades, and just put my life upside down. I started working at the hospital finally simply because I was bored and frustrated with life-I wasn't premed at the time. But now I am, because I've seen what happens there, and I know I can bring something different, and effective.

My motto is: Learn to be a person. Then you can be a doctor.

(I know I've made this a bit confusing-I have tidbits of this and that, not coming around full circle to make a convincing story. Frankly, the lessons that I've learned are things that we all need to figure out for ourselves. They took me 4 years of undergrad at the UW to figure out. Had I not gone a cookie-cutter approach earlier in life, perhaps this would have been better.)

I'm not quite sure if anyone is actually going to read this, but here's my two cents:

Yes, the University of Washington is probably an un-ideal school for premeds.

HOWEVER (This is huge), IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU MAKE OF YOUR EXPERIENCES.

I think as an undergrad, you need to figure out for yourself what will help you get into medical school, and also what will benefit you in the future as you become a doctor. IMO, there ought to be no-cookie cutter method to go into medical school, yet some universities still promote that, (eg. Wayne State, UW, etc) but in reality, I think you need to appreciate what its like being in college. (Study what you really want to study-I tried philosophy earlier-Figured I liked ochem a little more-but ethics is pretty cool stuff though.)

Being the only-child of asian parents, you quickly realize that you gotta meet expectations, and even the thought of 'deviating' from the norm drives my folks nuts. They blast at me when I spend my friday nights helping out in the ER helping patients that have had their hips fractured or their heads blown out. They say, grades come first, and it's all grey if my volunteering will overshadow my grades because it has less quantitative value. (Perhaps this is true, perhaps not)

Yes, it probably is true that grades are VERY IMPORTANT. But I can't tell you how many residents I've talked to in the ER, from EM, to opthamology, FaMED, IM, Surgery, etc...that grades will never dictate whether you will be a commmitted doctor-in the sense that you actually appreciate your job enough to be good at it. Yes, you can do all the right things, score high on your exams, but I cannot tell you how many residents have told me on the long nights, "You sure you really want to do this?" My reply, "Why do you think I'm here at this hour?" Most have said if they could do this again, they would choose another profession.

Bottom line, I've taken a huge deviating path from what asian families would typically expect, especially from an only child. Yes, you can grill me all you want that i'm a spoiled individual-I've heard it enough, and it's probably fair, to give you all the benefit of the doubt. But what I want to emphasize, is to figure out what you want to do, whether or not you like it, and to pursue the things you like. I don't volunteer because it will give me a "one-up" over someone else. In fact, I began volunteering because I went through some personal issues in my sophomore year that pretty much F'ed over my grades, and just put my life upside down. I started working at the hospital finally simply because I was bored and frustrated with life-I wasn't premed at the time. But now I am, because I've seen what happens there, and I know I can bring something different, and effective.

My motto is: Learn to be a person. Then you can be a doctor.

(I know I've made this a bit confusing-I have tidbits of this and that, not coming around full circle to make a convincing story. Frankly, the lessons that I've learned are things that we all need to figure out for ourselves. They took me 4 years of undergrad at the UW to figure out. Had I not gone a cookie-cutter approach earlier in life, perhaps this would have been better.)

alejandro doesn't sound like an asian name =D. Are you alejandro or "ah-lee hang do" :laugh: