Is there a correlation between Individual Health and Success in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biology4Life84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was healthy in high school, and gained a lot of weight through college....

If I were to apply for medical schools, would it make more sense to be as healthy as possible?

I tend to think that my eating habits and the obesity are causing a lot of my problems because its just been in recent years that I developed Diabetes, sleep apnea, and depression. I am currently 30 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you think that you've answered your own question? If you're not feeling happy and healthy, it shows. And while gaining weight doesn't necessarily cause depression, the inverse is frequently true. Have you thought about some counseling? Antidepressants?

If you've developed Type II diabetes and sleep apnea as a result of your weight gain, it would behoove you to eat smaller, healthier portions (assuming you aren't already,) and start exercising. You don't need to join a fancy gym, just go for a long walk every day. Get a FitBit, or a pedometer--something that'll give you some 'concrete' feeling of accomplishment toward meeting your exercise goal.

If you're too depressed to exercise, then treating that should be the first thing on your list of things to do--talk to someone. Try some drugs. Then work some exercise and healthier habits into your life.

Med school is a whole lot of sitting on your ass and studying--you need to make sure that you're healthy enough to efficiently get that done by ensuring that you're as healthy as possible when you start. Residency is even harder on your lifestyle habits, so exercising, eating, and sleeping well should be deeply ingrained by the time that starts.

Thank you for the reply. I just want to make sure if I go through with my plan to work towards becoming a doctor, that I am not limiting my efforts to do so.

I think I started realizing the answer when I posted this thread but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you again DCGuava.