Is there a guide to working as a retail pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my job and am having trouble jumping between checking scripts and counseling on drugs. I am bad at multitasking as it is and my brain just doesn't like to jump from one thing to another. Sometimes when I have to counsel I get a drug where I just can't think of what the major counseling points are, especially when I was doing some checking on something else before. The computers have a "counseling" section but there usually isn't enough time to review all that and then go counsel. Is there some kind of guide to counseling or something like that? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my job and am having trouble jumping between checking scripts and counseling on drugs. I am bad at multitasking as it is and my brain just doesn't like to jump from one thing to another. Sometimes when I have to counsel I get a drug where I just can't think of what the major counseling points are, especially when I was doing some checking on something else before. The computers have a "counseling" section but there usually isn't enough time to review all that and then go counsel. Is there some kind of guide to counseling or something like that? Thanks in advance.

Introduced yourself to the customer. Say Hi and try to get one main point in. Hi Ms Smith, ,I am the pharmacist. I just want to make sure you absolutely do not stop taking your zpack even if you feel better on day 3. If you have any other questions, feel free to call me.

Usually if the customer is interested, they will go on from there. If not, they will go thanks and rush out of the pharmacy. Dont be afraid to look up any information that you dont know. The stickers on the vials, and your label are there to help you. The key is to not give the customer too much information. If you do, you will either lose them, get them more confused, or worried than they should be.

If you can't multi-task, you need to move to another country. There is almost no job that does not require multi-tasking. Even the counter person at Mickey D's has to multi task. You need to concentrate on what is right in front of you. If you can't remember the drug you are counseling on, open the information provided to the patient and review it with them. The answers are in front of you. As a general rule listen to Mr. Miyagi at around 2:25

[YOUTUBE]O-qesAt92Jw[/YOUTUBE]

Always look eye... Look them right in the eye and speak directly to them. You have a limited amount of time so you can only cover the highlights. How often to take, when to take if important, With or without food. Major side effects, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anyone write a guide on a field that is deemed to be doomed?

Jokes aside, I felt the same way when I on my very first day alone in a retail pharmacy. I thought that after all these years of learning I was not even fit to do retail. Eventually, things will work out by itself. You will probably make mistakes along the way, but you will learn from them. About reviewing counselling points before counselling patients, I never do that because there is never time to. If you have gone thru schooling and passed the national and sate board exams, you should know the essential points about the common drugs. Just use common sense when counselling patients. Forgot about what the school taught you to do. Your learning has just started.

Last edited:
You will build up standard counseling points for common drugs.

rule 1, swallow your pride. you will be asked to do things that are not what pharmacists do. you will be ringing Milk and other junk out at the register. you will think at times "this is not what i spent all that time in class killing myself to learn all this for"

rule 2 keep customers happy, hopefully good feedback comes to the store for you

rule 3 watch the numbers, its all about money in retail pharm it is very very heavily profit based

rules 4 watch your cornhole, management will cut you out very easily in this economy and just replace you with another number. do all you can to protect yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

You just have to give yourself a few seconds to get your brain re-directed. Tell the patient you will be with them in just a few minutes, then quickly look up a few counseling points. They will either not be interested and be happy with what you give them or they will ask more questions. You never know what you know until someone asks you. Its hard to just spout out facts, but easier to recall the information when someone asks you a specific question.

Studies show that multi tasking results in all the tasks being done poorly. They also show that people who consider themselves good multitaskers are actually the worst at it. Prioritize by focusing on the most important task first and proceed from there. That first item should be accuracy. Once you get comfortable there then work down the list. It takes time and patience.

Studies show that multi tasking results in all the tasks being done poorly. They also show that people who consider themselves good multitaskers are actually the worst at it. Prioritize by focusing on the most important task first and proceed from there. That first item should be accuracy. Once you get comfortable there then work down the list. It takes time and patience.

studies show that working for Walgreens or CVS, makes one more likely to have suicidal ideation and have thoughts of murdering their boss approximately 8 times a day.

studies show that working for Walgreens or CVS, makes one more likely to have suicidal ideation and have thoughts of murdering their boss approximately 8 times a day.

Number of study subjects: 1
Number of made up statistics: 1

I would say the study was 1/1 or 100% successful. :laugh:

Thanks all, this was very helpful. One question - besides the counseling section on the computers, in your opinion, what is the best source of quick counseling tips? Facts and Comparisons? Or something else?

Counseling in retail in not too hard in my opinion. If you can read a medication label (the one your computer prints out for the customer), you can counsel.

WHEN I have to counsel, I tell them basics: Name of the drug, what it is, what it's for, how many times a day to take it, and for how long. Mention a couple common side effects and how to take care of it, and that's all. Then any other questions they have, I tell them to call me (24 hour store) or call their doctor. Many times they do call me back when we are not busy and we can having a more detailed conversation if needed.

For example,

"Mr. Smith, This is your prescription for amoxicillin. It's an antibiotic used to treat infections. Your going to be taking 1 capsule 3 times a day. For the first dose, I want you to take 2, that way the medicine is going to kick in faster. Take it for 10 days, and make sure you finish it all, even if you feel better. Some people may experience some stomach upset with this medication, so if you do so, you can take it with a little bit of food. Any questions you have for me, you can always call me here or ask your doctor."

You see how easy it can be? Everything you mention comes directly from the label your computer prints out.

I don't really ever do more than that, and mentioning serious side effects or allergic reactions seems counter productive to me. If a patient sees their arms swell up or break out in hives or have trouble breathing, they know to call their doctor or go to the ER. I don't mention these things unless the customer asks because then it may scare them, prevent them from taking the drug, or whatever.

If you want a good drug reference, LexiComp for iPhone is so f'n amazing. You can type in the drug name in like 2 seconds, go to "Administration" section and it tells you how to take it (with or without food, what you can mix it with, etc), and look up "Adverse Reactions" section and it states right there what the most common side effects are.

Good luck!

It just takes time to improve. Some take 7 days while some take 7 months to get the hang of things. Good Luck.

I thought all you needed to know to is say their name 3 times and say thank you