All Branch Topic (ABT) Is there a limitation on transferring between Uniformed Services as a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Playing with switching branches. Wondering if a few years down the line a switch back would be possible if I regret the choice. Is there a limit to how many times you can transfer or at what rank? I'm sure it's an issue for line officers but I imagine that for physicians they care less.

Members don't see this ad.

The only one I know of is PHS. You cannot transfer to the PHS at 8 years of service in another uniform.

A former Commandant at USUHS was Navy as a medical student, switched to Army for graduation because she married an Army dude. Then, when her husband retired (he was prior I think), she switched back to the Navy as an O-5.

Having said that I know it is "relatively" easy while at USUHS. Once out as an MD I know it has been done, but have no idea how easy it is or what the process is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know an AF GI who separated from the Navy after IM payback and then went to the VA and then back into the AF. He got a $250k signing bonus to join the AF as a flight surgeon and got into fellowship a year or two later. Well played.

Reactions: 1 users