Is there any easy way to do a GPA conversion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPeterman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to convert an American 4.0 scale GPA to the Australian 7.0 scale? I've looked everywhere online but keep getting different answers so maybe someone that has gone from the States to Oz can help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I've seen that one before, but how can I convert each individual grade (F D C B A) with pluses and minuses into numerical grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is crazy if I'm interpreting the guideline correctly. So a 'B' is a 7 for most Australian unis, while even a B- is a 7 at places like Melbourne?? That would make my old 3.2 GPA somewhere around 6.9 at Melb (allowing for two grades below B-).

It used to be (at UQ, USyd, and Flinders at least) a straight-forward math calculation, e.g., a 'B'=3.0 ==> 3/4 = x/7 ==> x = 5.25. Then weighting of year GPAs simply ( (Y[x] x 3) + (Y[x-1] x 2) + (Y[x-2] x 1) ) / 6 (x being the most recent year).

There seems to have since been a bit of grade inflation to put it mildly...

Yeah I'm just going to submit an application and hope it meets the GPA requirements/recommendations because I have no idea how to do it, plus I took some post grad classes and don't know if they even include those, who knows?