Is there any hope for me :( ? Please help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeromeM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a long post, but please help me if you have the time!
So i just got finished with my freshman year and , to say the least, I've been very depressed and self loathing after i received my results. I didn't concentrate as well i should have or could have and it showed in my grades. I can not believe i put my dream, my career, and future at risk because of my stupidity. I was not prepared for the difficulty level in college and was still in "highschool mode" But here goes, this is my freshman year:

(The F in the first semester is replaced b.c i took the class over again)
First Semester:
ENGLISH COMPOSITION 21 355 101 18 3.0 B
COLL ALG PHYSICAL SC 21 640 109 06 3.0 F
PRIN OF PSYCHOLOGY 21 830 101 02 3.0 A
CONCEPTS IN BIOLOGY 28 120 200 19 4.0 C+

Degree Credits: 10.0

Term Average: 2.385

Cumulative Average: 2.385

Second Semester:
HIST OF PHOTOGRAPHY 21 082 382 01 3.0 B
ENGLISH COMPOSITION 21 355 102 08 3.0 C
COLL ALG PHYSICAL SC 21 640 109 04 3.0 R B+
PRIN OF PSYCHOLOGY 21 830 102 03 3.0 B
FOUNDATIONS ECO EVO 28 120 205 04 3.0 B
FOUNDAT ECO EVO LAB 28 120 206 16 1.0 C+

Degree Credits: 22.0

Term Average: 2.875

Cumulative Average: 2.620 (This is not correct, my science classes were not added and the F has still not been dropped by my school yet, so its actually prob 3.0 -3.2 )

Im planning on taking precalc over the summer and Started Chem I in the fall

So all that being said. I absolutely am hating my self at the moment. I really hope i still have a chance. If i buckle down and get great grades in my coming years is there any hope for me? Thank you so so much for reading this and helping me guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You've only completed your first year and you still have a very long way to go. It's good that you retook your math class, but just so you know, AMCAS doesn't do a grade replacement...So in the future, keep that in mind. If you consider applying DO, they do replace the grade, so that will be something to consider. All things said, evaluate what you did wrong, make adjustments, and keep trying. The worst thing to do would be to get down and give up, because all is not lost. Even if your freshman grades limit your chances for applying "on time" and to a lot of MD schools, there are Special Master's Programs and Post-Bac's that can help your GPA. So relax, have fun, and enjoy college. Work hard and do a lot of EC's that you find enjoyable. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the reply! So since AMCAS does not do grade replacement how will they factor the B+ i got when i retook the class? Also does the F on my transcript completely ruin my chances?

It doesn't completely ruin, but it definitely doesn't help. And with the math class as 3 credits, AMCAS will figure it as 3 credits of F and 3 credits of B+. And even if your school makes does grade replacement, AMCAS won't. So make sure you turn yourself around or you won't have any chance.

thanks for the reply. Hopefully i will maintain a 3.5 or above in the coming semesters. Im going to need to work hard to offset the disaster that is my freshman year. Will meds schools find the climb to better grades throughout my college career as a plus?

thanks for the reply. Hopefully i will maintain a 3.5 or above in the coming semesters. Im going to need to work hard to offset the disaster that is my freshman year. Will meds schools find the climb to better grades throughout my college career as a plus?
They honestly would probably prefer the whole academic record to be outstanding, but I think it is often the case that if you do very, VERY well in the following years, especially in the upper level science (including math) courses, they will give you a chance. I would shoot for above a 3.75 each semester if possible. You have to NAIL all of your science courses as well to make the effect and weight of that F less. A lot of students do poorly their freshman years. Now you have the opportunity to turn it around and make a change. Have that life changing experience and realization of your goals, and then make it happen.

You really can't keep getting B's either. A B is a 3.0, so if most of your grades are B's, then your GPA will be around a 3.0. If you're looking into MD schools, it should be higher than a 3.4/3.5.

You're only a freshman!! Chill, dude. You have a long road ahead. Get mostly A's from here on. Buckle down and get the work done. If you fail more classes and need to retake you're looking at DO and not MD because of the grade replacement. Can't have too many blemishes on your record for MD. Just focus, study, and do better.
And yes, an upward trend for grades is good.

Just an observation but those seem like pretty easy courses... you're really going to need to change your study habits if you hope to excel in your upper level science courses.
Good luck. :luck: