Is there any money in social work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
40k isn't 70k. I specifically said 70k, and will merrily judge anyone who claims they can't raise a family on that much.

Ok, so more specifically I should have said "I can't support a family on mid-level pay until after the children have grown as my theoretical pay has increased. Right before I retire, then I could afford to raise them."

Better?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with your thoughts as I recently earned my Master's and felt that the low 30s salaries I was seeing everywhere (yet demanding all kinds of experience!) were unacceptable. I am curious as to where the salary negotiation training is supposed to come from though. I expected this to be a part of my program and it wasn't. When asked professors would skirt the issue and suggest we do some research, but often told us not to expect much. When asking the career center staff they suggested we see what job ads listed or would direct us back to our professors. It was really starting to tick me off how everyone was dancing around what I felt was one of the most important issues. I've talked to friends/colleagues from other programs and discovered they also learned nothing about salary negotiations from their program. So where exactly does this skill come from? Did I miss a memo on a workshop or something? I am fortunate to have landed a job with a salary I am very happy with, but would still like to develop this skill for future use.

I thought I had answered this in detail before, I'm sorry Spydra! I did all my own research. No one talked about it at school. I happen to listen to a podcast called The Social Work Podcast, and they just happened to do an episode on this subject. I used the articles, and the work by the PhD guest speaker, to do more research on the subject. I then used my research to corner professors in private and asked them what they thought. If I thought they had any clue about current working conditions hahah. Some of my professors have been a professor for nearly 30 years, so I don't think they'd have a clue what pay might be like for those of us just entering the field haha.

There are two parts to this podcast, but I'm just linking the first one. Have fun researching :)

http://socialworkpodcast.blogspot.com/2008/12/salary-negotiation-interview-with.html

Reactions: 3 users
I thought I had answered this in detail before, I'm sorry Spydra! I did all my own research. No one talked about it at school. I happen to listen to a podcast called The Social Work Podcast, and they just happened to do an episode on this subject. I used the articles, and the work by the PhD guest speaker, to do more research on the subject. I then used my research to corner professors in private and asked them what they thought. If I thought they had any clue about current working conditions hahah. Some of my professors have been a professor for nearly 30 years, so I don't think they'd have a clue what pay might be like for those of us just entering the field haha.

There are two parts to this podcast, but I'm just linking the first one. Have fun researching :)

http://socialworkpodcast.blogspot.com/2008/12/salary-negotiation-interview-with.html

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with my MSSW in May of 2013. I live in a mid-size southern city where salaries are fairly low. It's not uncommon for master's level clinicians (both MS in counseling and social workers) to start out making around $35k, sometimes even less. Personally, I'm making right at 58k, but I know I'm the exception rather than the rule. Most of the people I graduated with make in the 30s, probably a few in the 40s, and maybe 1-2 other people at most in the 50s besides me. I'm able to have that level of income because I have a full-time job that I work Monday-Thursday and a half-time job seeing clients on the weekend with a flexible schedule. Both are good jobs working with multi-disciplinary teams including PhDs, LMFTs, LCSWs, and LPCs. I've been very fortunate to have some of the opportunities I've had, but I've also been very strategic in positioning myself to be in a great financial situation.

Reactions: 3 users
These is money in an MS in Mediation and Conflict resolution. Arbitration isn't too bad. Same thing, loans can get paid off. I already have an MA in International Relations and a double major in German and International relations as an undergrad that is.

I'm not making any judgment on competence, and I agree that these types of positions are underpaid generally, but you have to look at the availability of the provider. Social work programs are usually not difficult to matriculate into. As far as I recall, NYU is a top program and it does not even require a GRE. If it is as easy to finish as it is to start, there is likely a lot of MSWs around. That will always lead to deflated pay as people compete for jobs.

"...but you have to look at the availability of the provider..." I think this area is fuzzy. There are NUMEROUS degrees that are quite easy to matriculate into, even in undergrad, that could make as much or even more than an MSW. Having said that, the supply and demand is not quite clear to me. Yes, these programs (much like most masters programs) are not incredibly difficult to get into, however, the demand for MSWs is still very high and growing quite rapidly, apparently faster than the supply. I already have a job interview set up for this upcoming Fall semester and I still have a year left till graduation. That said, what leads me to believe these jobs are wildly underpaid is when considering the billable hours many MSWs work in comparison to their take-home salary. Of course, the agency needs to feed itself, but aside from hours worked for the agency itself, oftentimes they could be getting less than half, closer to a third, of the actual insurance dollars they are bringing in (at least at my internship).

Last edited:
I'm not making any judgment on competence, and I agree that these types of positions are underpaid generally, but you have to look at the availability of the provider. Social work programs are usually not difficult to matriculate into. As far as I recall, NYU is a top program and it does not even require a GRE. If it is as easy to finish as it is to start, there is likely a lot of MSWs around. That will always lead to deflated pay as people compete for jobs.

When you say "social work programs are not difficult to matriculate into" what masters programs are you comparing it to? Counseling psych programs are a dime a dozen in my metro area (I can think of 5 off the top of my head in my metro area and none of them require the GRE) while we only have one MSW program. Even though none of the programs require the GRE, the MSW program is the hardest to get into strictly because of competition.

FSPS aren't difficult to matriculate into either. Neither is any MA online program. Most state universities also have adult and part time programs that are identical to their highly competitive GRE required programs that waive the requirements for adult learners/veterans.

Also, median salaries in most of the Midwest are higher for LCSWs than for LPCs.

I have come to the conclusion, through my own personal research, the issue of "low end salary" is felt by all mid level providers of mental health services. Now comparing any mid-level mental health to a STEM field? Yes, you've got a great point :). But obviously that's not a characteristic unique to social work.

Yes. It is possible to make the amount of money you specified in social work. I don't know how likely it is though. If you look at job boards, like indeed.com, you can see some job openings that have the pay listed.

For example:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/423537500
https://www.edjoin.org/Home/JobPost...Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed
http://careers.dc.gov/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0K1600000fLv50EAC&tSource=
http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=d5...+worker"+$70,000&tk=1a63pcv5daepecfg&from=web
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/422473500

So, yes it is possible, but it's certainly not the norm.

Fyi NYC area, I know several social workers that make $100k per year. As people said, it depends on your licensure, your experience, your specialty, your job position. I know people making $30k per year and people making over $200k per year. That's the beauty of social work, it's about what you do with the degree. I'm a licensed social worker and I won't say my salary but I am comfortable. And I am HELPING people, which is what I always wanted to do. The job breaks my heart sometimes, but I am making a difference. And that's the most important part to me. Ps. The social workers with higher salaries embrace the business side of the field by starting clinics, hiring other social workers to work for them, starting companies or writing books or teaching. Or taking a director position. Although I know some that only do private practice, even 2 hrs outside nyc, who make $100k per year. Esp if you have a niche area of expertise.
Around NYC/Hudson Valley area, average salary for a LCSW is around $45k-$65k if you are only working for another company as a regular primary psychotherapist at a clinic or hospital. Of course, this is for LCSW and some experienced LMSW. Sadly, the salary is much lower for BSW.
For reference, insurance companies reimburse LCSW for 45 min of psychotherapy around $60-$70 per hour (varies by company). If you have about 30 client sessions per week, that's about $100k.

Last edited:
For reference, insurance companies reimburse LCSW for 45 min of psychotherapy around $60-$70 per hour (varies by company). If you have about 30 client sessions per week, that's about $100k.

So, 100k a week gross reimbursement. How much after overhead is paid for? If you're PP, how much is spent on rent and insurance?

I don't know, but I hear that working as a Clinical Social Worker in the prison system or in the military (Army, Navy, Air Force) has pretty good pay and benefits...

When you put money before social work, then it would become difficult for you to earn since you are more eager to earn money and help people as a by-product. However, if you think of going to any level to help the people in the niche of social work you choose, money will eventually come. Don’t forget to propagate your social work to the right donors.

When you put money before social work, then it would become difficult for you to earn since you are more eager to earn money and help people as a by-product. However, if you think of going to any level to help the people in the niche of social work you choose, money will eventually come. Don’t forget to propagate your social work to the right donors.
I think that’s an untrue cliche’

Reactions: 2 users
Just my two cents, but I think an LCSW can be a very versatile degree and your degree of success will depend highly on how good you are at marketing, what your niche is, whether you see children or adults, and how competent you are. I have friends who are social workers who make 40k and others who are very good at networking and gross 200k in a large metro area.

Yes, there is money in social work, but mostly you get it when you are primarily concerned about “making a difference” instead of looking at the donation checks. There are so many causes that you can commit yourself to. However, you need to be careful to choose something that you firmly believe in and can make a significant difference to it.

Yes, there is money in social work, but mostly you get it when you are primarily concerned about “making a difference” instead of looking at the donation checks. There are so many causes that you can commit yourself to. However, you need to be careful to choose something that you firmly believe in and can make a significant difference to it.

Ehh, not really. Good clinicians aren't the ones making money, good business people who are clinicians are the ones who make the money.