Is there anyone seriously considering DDS + MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so which school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Ideally, Penn/Harvard would be nice but I haven't gotten invites there thus far lol. But if I don't get in there, or UCLA, no other business school conjoined with the dental school, in my opinion, would be worth doing an MBA at. Have you been invited to interview at schools that have strong business schools?

By the way, I'm not doing the MBA to learn more about managing a practice, even though it will help with that. I'm doing it to pursue outside business ventures not related to dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I'm not doing the MBA to learn more about managing a practice, even though it will help with that. I'm doing it to pursue outside business ventures not related to dentistry.

Same. I'll PM you.

Actually, you PM me. I dont think I can with your settings.

I'm only a junior, but am definitely looking to pursue a DMD (or DDS) / MBA for the same reasons as fellowstudent. As he said, I'd only be applying to joint programs at UPenn, Harvard, UCLA and Columbia.

How long do these normally take?

Buffalo offers a DDS/MBA degree, you will have to apply to both separately and you don't have to take the GREs considering you would have already taken the DATs.. deadline for the MBA application is early spring semester (january 1st I think).. im applying for it

losing a yr is not worth it. youre a business mind so you must realize that you dont lose your first yr, you lose a yr in your prime. so lets say at the very peak of ypur practice youre making 500k well you just lost that...

fyi theres programs you can do where you do your residency and go to business school. no time lost and you get the degeee. theres also program you do on the weekend. every 3 weeks you spend a weekend at school and 2 yes later you got an mba (prolly what im gonna do).

MBA would certainly help when it comes to managing a business, but nothing will prepare you like working as an associate for another dentist. Every office has their own method that works, and once you learn that, you can apply it to your practice as well. In addition, there are countless CE courses on practice management. I believe one is called "Howard Farran's Dental MBA", which is cheaper and faster than going to school for a business degree. In my opinion, you would be better off working during that time.

Lmao there are mba programs that will allow it to be completed within four years. The one at harvard gives that option.

Lmao there are mba programs that will allow it to be completed within four years. The one at harvard gives that option.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/academic-exp.../Pages/harvard-school-of-dental-medicine.aspx

It says it takes 5. Maybe there's another dual MBA/DDS program or like you said an option?

But, honestly even if there was a 4 yr one I can't even imagine how much work that would be. Dental school alone is pretty crazy. Imagine trying to squeeze 2 yr MBA into it....