Is there anyone...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonick123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
who uses voice recorder for studying ? A friend told me he recorded his own notes or the material he wanted to learn and then listen to it, claiming it is very effective. Does somebody do it and is it high-yield in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried it once but it was too tedious. You know what really helped though? Teaching yourself out loud. As soon as you start blanking or skipping over major concepts you know where your weaknesses lie.

I used to do this, but it was when i was working and would listen to my notes all night driving. Haven't done it is med school because I can read a lot faster than i can listen to myself, and I cant just sit there and focus on audio without doing anything else, and passively listening isn't going to make it stick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to do this, but it was when i was working and would listen to my notes all night driving. Haven't done it is med school because I can read a lot faster than i can listen to myself, and I cant just sit there and focus on audio without doing anything else, and passively listening isn't going to make it stick.

This is a really good point. When studying for boards I listened/watched things on at least 2.3x speed (usually listened to the fastest speed while still being able to understand)...I only did this because I'd get bored of reading and needed a change.
I wouldn't make it through nearly as much info listening. Add in the time wasted on recording and this seems extremely inefficient.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I never even thought this was a thing. Even if I knew it was though, I'd never do it. I hate the way my voice sounds played by to me. I wouldn't be able to get over thinking about how annoying I sound.

Reactions: 1 user
Add in the time wasted on recording and this seems extremely inefficient.
6ik4Ah

I know a girl who does this. She had a long drive she makes occasionally and finds it's a good tool to use when on the road.

I don't know, it would at my school, but then again, my exams are based purely on the medical textbooks and not on random things lecturers think are important.
We're not so fortunate. Our lectures in first year are not geared toward the boards, which has been a frequent complaint. Supposedly second year is much better though.

@hallowmann, do you feel like PBL-studying better prepared you for boards studying? I know they tell us that all the time and while I don't doubt it's true to some extent, I've wondered how accurate that is.

@hallowmann, do you feel like PBL-studying better prepared you for boards studying? I know they tell us that all the time and while I don't doubt it's true to some extent, I've wondered how accurate that is.

Haha, I'll let you know after boards, but I definitely feel like the stuff we were tested on were high yield for boards (and in most cases that also means high yield for medicine).

The nice thing about our PBL is that for one I had a very solid histo/physio and an OK biochem foundation in MS1 with the readings my group picked, and for path everyone in MS2 basically read the whole of robbins 1.5-2 times in the last couple semesters. That gave me a good solid foundation and exposed me to almost everything.

The thing is, basically everyone I know has some holes. Some people really didn't do much physio and histo in MS1, so they have to study those subjects a bit harder now. I personally had limited exposure to pharm and genetics (fortunately I was previously strong in genetics). So there are some holes we are finding now in board review, but for the most part the things we know, we know very well.

The worst thing is probably the schedule. We all want more than anything to just be studying right now, but instead we have days full of shelf exams, practice exams and review sessions (currently required for 60% of the class) of questionable value.

Every time I scroll by the title of this thread I hear 'out there cuz it's getting harder and harder to breath' run through my head.