Is there like no chance to get into Texas Dental Schools OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That tuition.....

I see they do except a few OOS so what does it take?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Texas resident, but I've heard enough to know that if I was OOS, I wouldn't even bother applying to Texas schools because the percentages are just way too low to have a fighting chance for admission, even if I had perfect stats.

Reactions: 2 users
if you're a minority, roll the dice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except when you're Asian.

Where being a minority, doesnt mean a minority.
One of the few times I want to be viewed as a minority, I'm not aha

But to answer the q, I'm a Texas resident but if I wasn't, I would never apply to Texas schools unless my stats are hella amazing, beyond grades.

Take this for example, in entering class of 2014, out of all 3 TX schools ... there were 2 OOS accepted ... both of them had strong ties to TX ... and have a PhD.

Just let that one sink in.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is it that only Texas dental schools offer such low tuition?

Why is it that only Texas dental schools offer such low tuition?
Would love to know this too, makes no sense to me, maybe they get more public funding or other schools are just money hungry basta*rds

I think It's because of the low income families perhaps?

Last edited:
Oil. Oil is the answer.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a classmate from FL who got accepted with an 18 DAT and 4.0 GPA to Baylor.

He is indeed African/Kenyan. But went to the SPEP program prior to his acceptance. I was pissed because I had the same exact score and am also Black but he got accepted from out of state. They look at multiple factors.

Take this for example, in entering class of 2014, out of all 3 TX schools ... there were 2 OOS accepted ... both of them had strong ties to TX ... and have a PhD.

Just let that one sink in.
I don't know where you got that information but my cousin was accepted to San Antonio straight from undergrad with absolutely no ties to Texas. He was a very strong candidate but nothing outrageous.

I don't know where you got that information but my cousin was accepted to San Antonio straight from undergrad with absolutely no ties to Texas. He was a very strong candidate but nothing outrageous.

Probably the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools.

This is so wrong. I have no idea where you came up with these numbers. I interviewed at all 3 texas schools as out-of-state this cycle. There are 10 OOS spots at the Baylor College of Dentistry, which is exactly 10% of the class. There are 5 spots at San Antonio, which is 5% of the class. And there are 0 spots for OOS at Houston. I only got an interview at Houston because I live in Texas now and will be a resident by the time dental school starts. So, it is not impossible to get into a Texas school if your DAT is at least a 23. They pull from the OOS pool to increase their scores because their in-state scores average at a 19.5.

You'd think someone who interviewed at all 3 TX schools would learn to read the comment right above theirs.

It's great you got interviews but in the end thats 15 OOS seats for 3 schools. Why did houston interview you if they didnt have a seat for you? Sounds pretty rude and a waste of money. This doesnt make TX schools any less unfriendly. And honestly, Im glad theyre changing. I love Austin, TX wanted to apply to TX schools. But I dont have 23 AA and rather go to my state school.

You'd think someone who interviewed at all 3 TX schools would learn to read the comment right above theirs.

It's great you got interviews but in the end thats 15 OOS seats for 3 schools. Why did houston interview you if they didnt have a seat for you? Sounds pretty rude and a waste of money. This doesnt make TX schools any less unfriendly. And honestly, Im glad theyre changing. I love Austin, TX wanted to apply to TX schools. But I dont have 23 AA and rather go to my state school.

Austin is a long ways from any of the three dental schools.

Reactions: 1 user