Is there something wrong with my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e_lynne_dental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 9 schools and under school decision on the app it says:

Howard University College of Dentistry (HOW)DC09/15/2014Received/Under Review
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)PA09/12/2014Received/Under Review
West Virginia University School of Dentistry (WVA)WV09/23/2014Received/Under Review
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)MA10/02/2014Received
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU)VA10/15/2014Received
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)FL11/12/2014Invited for Interview
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)PA10/06/2014Received/Application Complete
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)MD09/29/2014Invited for Interview

I also applied to NYU but it isn't listed here, do you think that's a problem?
Is there a problem with my app if I haven't heard back from all the others?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your application like? Stats, extra curriculars, volunteer, work experience, etc.

GPA
science: 3.7
non-science: 3.8

DAT
QR: 18
PAT: 21
RC: 23
BIO: 22
OC: 21
GC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 21

550 hours of shadowing in a general dental office
60 shadowing ortho

~300 service hours at elderly homes, Martha's table, and my church

Lots of work experience as a lifeguard, secretary at the same dental office, catering, and nannying

What's your application like? Stats, extra curriculars, volunteer, work experience, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says you have interview invites to 2 very good schools. That's 2 out of 9 schools. I'm assuming those are pre-dec? I'm not sure why you're worrying.

Plus you applied to a lot of state schools. What's your residency?

Yes, I already interviewed they were last week and the week before. I'm worried about NYU not being listed at all with a status and I'm worried since UMD is my top choice and was my first interview that I may not get in because it didn't go very well and UF only accept 5 oos students.

It says you have interview invites to 2 very good schools. That's 2 out of 9 schools. I'm assuming those are pre-dec? I'm not sure why you're worrying.

Yes, I already interviewed they were last week and the week before. I'm worried about NYU not being listed at all with a status and I'm worried since UMD is my top choice and was my first interview that I may not get in because it didn't go very well and UF only accept 5 oos students.

NYU doesn't use the portal. Everything is via e-mail.

Yah, same here! My status does not list NYU and I only got 1 invite so far (& it's post-Dec). You should feel above average, if I were u.

It's just a numbers game. *I was bored

Howard University College of Dentistry
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 6.6% OOS Applicants accepted: 3.5%
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 10.5% OOS Applicants accepted: 5.3%
West Virginia University School of Dentistry (WVA)
OOS Applicants Interviewed:: 7.5% OOS Applicants accepted: 4.2%
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 10.6% OOS Applicants accepted: 8.4%
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 7% OOS Applicants accepted: 1.7%
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)
OOS Applicants Interviewed:: 4.2% OOS Applicants accepted: 0.6%
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 14.7% OOS Applicants accepted: NR
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: ~5-6%* (no report for interviewed, but 62 of 2554 oos accepted, ~150/2554) OOS Applicants accepted: 2.4%
NYU: NR, but 4416 applied and there are 247 OOS seats.

I'd say you're doing well to have interviews from Florida and Maryland. Adjust for your state of residency.

*May not be accurate, I did this qucikly*

Reactions: 1 user

Plus you applied to a lot of state schools. What's your residency?
I am a Maryland resident

It's just a numbers game. *I was bored

Howard University College of Dentistry
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 6.6% OOS Applicants accepted: 3.5%
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 10.5% OOS Applicants accepted: 5.3%
West Virginia University School of Dentistry (WVA)
OOS Applicants Interviewed:: 7.5% OOS Applicants accepted: 4.2%
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 10.6% OOS Applicants accepted: 8.4%
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 7% OOS Applicants accepted: 1.7%
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)
OOS Applicants Interviewed:: 4.2% OOS Applicants accepted: 0.6%
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: 14.7% OOS Applicants accepted: NR
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
OOS Applicants Interviewed: ~5-6%* (no report for interviewed, but 62 of 2554 oos accepted, ~150/2554) OOS Applicants accepted: 2.4%
NYU: NR, but 4416 applied and there are 247 OOS seats.

I'd say you're doing well to have interviews from Florida and Maryland. Adjust for your state of residency.

*May not be accurate, I did this qucikly*
Thanks for doing this! I am a Maryland resident, any idea what the acceptance rate for in state is at Maryland?

Thanks for doing this! I am a Maryland resident, any idea what the acceptance rate for in state is at Maryland?

Based on the ADEA guide:

For Maryland, only 221 in-state students applied, they don't report how many they interview, but they accepted 68.

So, an almost 31% acceptance rate for in-state applicants. Not too shabby, especially considering you've interviewed so I'd assume your chances are higher, unless of course they interview all 221, which they may.

EDIT: More info:
Maryland Average GPA of those accepted: 3.5 / 3.5
DAT AA: 20.4
DAT TS: 20.3
DAT PAT: 20.1

If you didn't bomb the interview you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Did not hear from UMD on Dec. 1 and got a rejection letter from UF a few days later. Those were my only two interviews thus far, do you think I will be getting any post-dec interviews from the other schools or am I just SOL for this cycle?

Did not hear from UMD on Dec. 1 and got a rejection letter from UF a few days later. Those were my only two interviews thus far, do you think I will be getting any post-dec interviews from the other schools or am I just SOL for this cycle?

none of us can give you an answer to that. Best of luck though.

NYU sent me a rejection letter (without interview) via email, so if you haven't heard from them, consider it a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user