Is there such a thing as a full scholarship for podiatry school? What schools give the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatIsJustice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 34 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA and pretty outstanding EC's. Is there any school that would give me a full scholarship for this?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some pretty big scholarships out there and you can get a lot of tuition paid for. You need to call each school and ask about scholarships. They can give you more information.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard of any full scholarships. TUSPM goes up to $12000 per year, CSPM goes up to $20000 per year, some schools offer no scholarship.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Pod school is grad school.

Your options are Federal Loans (unsubsidized and GradPlus loans that are also unsubsidized but at higher interest rate), school scholarships (Bob is extremely correct with Temple and CSPM, PM me if you'd like more details about CSPM's numbers needed to get qualified for scholarships) and private loans (which are extremely unadvisable, like don't even think about it).

Call each school. Ask about scholarships (you have extremely high GPA and MCAT score so you'd be qualified instantly) and what numbers they require. Apply early as some scholarships if not most are first come first serve bases.

Have you considered MD/DO? Cost should not be the only thing you're focused on.

Reactions: 1 users
Judging from OP's post history: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/low-stats-chances-and-a-school-list.1199432/

"I worked a 50 hours a week while going to school full time which resulted in me graduating with a cGPA of 3.19 and a sGPA of 3.12. Mostly B- to B+ range of grades. No C's

I took the MCAT without any preparation and did terribly as well 496 (about a 23 on the old scale)

80 hours of shadowing
6 years working as a store manager
300 hours volunteering at an Alzheimer's center

I heard that some DO schools like ACOM and BCOM are willing to accept applicants with low stats. Is this true?

What are my chances and what schools should I apply to?"

You asking for a friend or you trolling us man?

Reactions: 2 users
Not to put down podiatry but with those stats couldnt someone just go to an MD or top tier DO school and get into orthopedic surgery and do the same thing?

1. Orthopedic foot & ankle is not the same as podiatry.

2. According to Detective Weirdy, OP may not even have those stats.

1. Orthopedic foot & ankle is not the same as podiatry.

2. According to Detective Weirdy, OP may not even have those stats.

Is there a specific place that discusses the differences? I havent had a chance to shadow yet, so Im not too familiar with the individual components of podiatry

Is there a specific place that discusses the differences? I havent had a chance to shadow yet, so Im not too familiar with the individual components of podiatry
The two overlap at orthopedic foot and ankle surgery, but beyond that an orthopedist can still do orthopedics of the rest of the body since they're trained as general orthopedists first. Beyond foot and ankle orthopedics, podiatrists do dermatology, vascular, nervous, etc. below the knee which orthopedists are less prone to touch. An orthopedist probably isn't going to handle a diabetic ulcer or a skin infection.

Does filling out the FAFSA do anything? I got my whole undergrad paid for because of my family being in the lower class, but that was for a in state school... all pod schools are out of state.

Does filling out the FAFSA do anything? I got my whole undergrad paid for because of my family being in the lower class, but that was for a in state school... all pod schools are out of state.
I believe you have to do a FAFSA to receive any government financial aid but at this level it's pretty much all loans and scholarships. You won't get any grants based on your need or any grants at all for that matter. Graduate/professional school loans are not need based, so it actually goes the other way as well, working and making money while you're in school won't reduce your financial aid amount like it would during undergrad.

You could potentially also do a deal with the military, but it's rarer for podiatrists. I think if you do go that route you will owe 2 years of service for every 1 year of funding they provide, so you would owe them 8 years. I'm not sure if residency counts towards that 8 years.

I believe you have to do a FAFSA to receive any government financial aid but at this level it's pretty much all loans and scholarships. You won't get any grants based on your need or any grants at all for that matter. Graduate/professional school loans are not need based, so it actually goes the other way as well, working and making money while you're in school won't reduce your financial aid amount like it would during undergrad.

You could potentially also do a deal with the military, but it's rarer for podiatrists. I think if you do go that route you will owe 2 years of service for every 1 year of funding they provide, so you would owe them 8 years. I'm not sure if residency counts towards that 8 years.

Thanks. Taking the MCAT a month from day. Everything is becoming real! :)

Good luck! It only keeps getting realer and realer after that. Once the wheels are in motion it all goes by so fast.

Practice hard and do well.

Lots of schools give out scholarships based on your gpa and mcat.

The higher you can score, the more eligible you'll be to receive scholarships from the school.

There are no grants available during graduate school from FAFSA. Only unsubsidized loans.

Graduate school includes a majority of health care fields such as MD, DO, DPM, Opto, pharm, dental, PA, PT to name a few.

It also includes academia degrees such as Masters and PhD.