is this a FLUKE??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delilah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got an interview invite from PITT today and i haven't even submitted my secondary???? i'm so nervous that this is a false positive.

Members don't see this ad.

they don't even have my committee letter yet???

Dear XXXXX:

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and has selected you for an interview. Outstanding applicants such as yourself are selected only after a rigorous screening process.

Interviews are offered on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The typical day begins at 8:30 A.M. and concludes by 4:00 P.M. Once you have scheduled your interview, it cannot be changed except for an emergency or inclement weather. During your visit you will have an opportunity to tour the Medical Center facilities, have lunch with third year students, and interview with a faculty member and a medical student.

To schedule your interview please visit: https://admissions.medschool.pitt.edu.

they don't even have my committee letter yet???

Dear XXXXX:

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and has selected you for an interview. Outstanding applicants such as yourself are selected only after a rigorous screening process.

Interviews are offered on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The typical day begins at 8:30 A.M. and concludes by 4:00 P.M. Once you have scheduled your interview, it cannot be changed except for an emergency or inclement weather. During your visit you will have an opportunity to tour the Medical Center facilities, have lunch with third year students, and interview with a faculty member and a medical student.

To schedule your interview please visit: https://admissions.medschool.pitt.edu.

:thumbup: Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
i got an interview invite from PITT today and i haven't even submitted my secondary???? i'm so nervous that this is a false positive.

Not a fluke. You have a good MCAT, great EC's and you're a URM. Good luck!

so they reviewed my primary (essays, ECs etc). this wasnt an auto-invite, screening purely for gpa and mcats?! cuz there is no way i could've made a numerical screen. they must've read my essay and EC's right?

An offer before the secondary suggests an automatic invite. It may be possible that there are different formulas because you're non-traditional or you've declared as an URM. It may also be possible that somebody reviewed your application and was sufficiently impressed. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you know what I'm saying?

Congratulations.

It is weird as I thought auto interviews were mainly numbers based. But, congrats!

thank you!

i also thought auto-interviews were purely numerical. but the only way i would get one is w/ major qualitative consideration.

Whether people agree or not, being a URM opens many doors for you!
It's good on one side, but on the other you know that other people are looking at you and always have a doubt in their mind.
Congrats and good luck on your interview!:thumbup:

No. This is.

fluke.gif

they must be fishing for URM's because I got one today as well. no secondary either. good luck!

I was wondering the same thing. I did turn my secondary in, and then hours later I got the email containing the invite. My gpa is higher but definately average...and my MCAT..lets not even go there!

Anyway, do we really have a shot at this school? I am so excited but I dont want to get my hopes up for an early acceptance. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
this all happened on Tuesday, by the way.

Yes. i'm excited!! yet apprehensive. i am wondering whether my mcat puts me at a severe disadvantage nonetheless.

how are u guys preparing for the interview?

By the way, Cuba Libre has the best mojitos!

u referring to the restaurant in philly? cuz then i'd definitely have to agree. been there once!
haven't thought about interview prep as it still seems like it's a while from now... nov 28

Does anyone know if Pittsburgh is still giving out non-URM auto interviews? I turned in my secondary in August and didn't get one so maybe they've stopped.

Uhmm. Maybe I should consider sending a primary their way:thumbup::thumbup:.
How long ago did you guys send your primaries to Pitt? Is this something going on this week? Do you think they have it set up this way to interview URMs at this point? I know they sent auto invites to outstanding numbers, so I'm wondering what the stats of the URMs with auto invites are.
Should I give this a chance and send my primary to Pitt today? It may be worth it to spend 30$ for the chance to interview there without even sending recommendations. What do y'all think?
Thanks for the heads up.

you can check out my mdapps.... verified 9/10 but i don't think you should be worrying about #s. Yours should get you a look at any school in the country. good luck

I was granted the interview only after they acknowledged receiving my LOR packet though...

I'm not numbers worried just secondary lazy at this point.
Thank you for the reply though but it seems they do need materials from the secondary or just the LORs?

Uhmm. Maybe I should consider sending a primary their way:thumbup::thumbup:.
How long ago did you guys send your primaries to Pitt? Is this something going on this week? Do you think they have it set up this to interview URMs at this point? I sent auto invites to outstanding numbers, so I'm wondering what the stats of the URMs with auto invites are.
Should I give this a chance and send my primary to Pitt today? It may be worth it to spend 30$ for the chance to interview there without even sending recommendations. What do y'all think?
Thanks for the heads up.

Just Do It.

if anyone is curious, pm me. i dont feel comfortable posting my stats.

It's not a high school locker room. No matter how high or low your stats, no one worth a damn is going to judge your stats.

I'm not numbers worried just secondary lazy at this point.
Thank you for the reply though but it seems they do need materials from the secondary or just the LORs?

no secondary.... just LORs and primary

Under Represented Minority

It's not a high school locker room. No matter how high or low your stats, no one worth a damn is going to judge your stats.

You're right, no one worth a damn would.. But considering some of the comments I have read on here, esp. in the context of certain topics, i prefer to keep it private :)

Does anyone know if Pittsburgh is still giving out non-URM auto interviews? I turned in my secondary in August and didn't get one so maybe they've stopped.

I'm asian, so I'm the opposite of an URM.

Got an invite 1 day after submission, but my file was complete, so I'm not sure if it was auto or not. My hard stats are pretty good though.

Well, I guess they are done with auto invites because I have not heard anything from them in a month. :confused::(:confused:
Oh well, another dream by the drain.

Whether people agree or not, being a URM opens many doors for you!
It's good on one side, but on the other you know that other people are looking at you and always have a doubt in their mind.
Congrats and good luck on your interview!:thumbup:

hm

SHUT YOUR UGLY FAT DISGUSTING RACIST MOUTH YOU DOUCH BAG!!! you goddam hypocrite, wishing her luck.

people like you should be sent to gtmo.

go kick a few puppies.

What part of what the poster said was incorrect? Certainly URMs have preferential treatment in admissions. Whether you disagree with whether this should happen is independent of the fact that they do...

As far as people having a question in their mind, this is likely also true, which is unfortunate, but is generally a result of people with lower stats receiving admission. Again, whether you agree or disagree with the policy is independent of what people may think of the applicants.

Also, your post is significantly more inflammatory than the original one.

AA is founded on the premise that URMs need an extra boost in admissions. Until it is dissolved, unfortunately, some will always question the achievements of minorities.

the height of racism is to quietly remind the OP, as she is celebrating her wonderful success, that "you know that other people are looking at you and always have a doubt in their mind."

It might have been less than tactful to reply to a an interview invite thread with such a comment, but the OP did title her thread "Is this a fluke?"

if that isn't a shocking, horrible, racist comment, then i have never heard one. who says crap like that? i'll tell you f****ed up racists who blame others success for their own failure.

I think while the comment may not have been particularly nice, it wasn't untrue. Many people do question the qualifications of URMs who are admitted with lower stats. Many of them prove themselves to be outstanding physicians, and some do not. Then again, some people who are admitted with high stats don't end up being particularly good physicians. Certainly there isn't a perfect correlation between standardized test scores and grades and performance. That said, questioning whether they are qualified isn't racist, but prudent. Medical school is a rigorous academic environment and the stakes are high when you're talking about people's lives being at stake. As I said before, many of these applicants do end up being great doctors as well as contributing to the diversity of the educational environment, which is certainly a good thing.

you are either a racist yourself or so deluded that you can't see it when you are hit over the head with it.

I've consistently been in favor of AA in medical school admissions although I think the system could be modified to be more effective. I don't think questioning whether other people might be racist counts as racism, by the way.

AA is founded on the premise that URMs need an extra boost in admissions. Until it is dissolved, unfortunately, some will always question the achievements of minorities.

you people are hopeless. i cannot singlehandedly bring you from the depths of ignorance and bigotry and i will not try.

suffice it to say: SDN is replete with examples of people who proclaim their promise as a gifted future physician, despite bad "luck" on the MCAT or a low gpa. they still seem to think they will be great doctors, and i believe they probably will. so why would you all perpetuate the racist myth that affirmative action must somehow stigmatize all minorities as they achieve success in our society. it is a lose/lose for them NOT because of affirmative action but because of bigotry and ignorance as displayed all too often on SDN. what is most troubling is that premeds in general and, SDN premeds in particular, allegedly represent a highly educated, highly intelligent and highly achieving segment of society.

THAT is what scares me. and you excuse your comments by saying, "it's not me, but OTHERS might think that." you are the OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO DELILAH AND BEST OF LUCK AT YOUR PITT INTERVIEW. THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT YOU EARNED IT.

If you went into emergency surgery and needed treatment and had a relatively low chance of survival, would you want a physician that contributed to the diversity of the population or the best possible doctor regardless of skin color?

Um MDRus- You're wrong.

MDRus, I'm sorry, but your lack of tact is a little disheartening. You will more likely than not meet with a few very ignorant, racist patients (I've already come across a few myself just as a volunteer) and I sincerely hope you will be able to control your temper and language around that patient and around your coworkers better than you have here. Just because this is an online forum, doesn't mean you should be so uncouth.

People will say mean things, whether intentionally or in ignorance. And it's fine and healthy to argue your side, but for the love of professionalism and manners in general, at least try to be civil and nice. Name calling and rash, slanderous accusations reflect more poorly on you than anyone else. Not to mention, it's tactically a poor move if you're trying to win an argument since it'll just serve to inflame the person you're theoretically trying to "enlighten".

Don't let others tick you off so easily eh? It's not worth the stress, I'm sure you have enough to think about with applications. Good luck with those by the way :)

By your own admission, about 20% of your posts are "trollish" and I"ll just hope this is one of those intentionally inflammatory ones. And no offense to your lawyer skills, but if you've "shaken up" anybody in this thread, I'd be pretty surprised. And yes, bragging about your income...that's just..well...so expected.

I retract my well wishes (and yes, I know, you don't care...and now neither do I) since you obviously don't want them. I think you should stay a lawyer.

This is a fluke:
bushchen04.osc.jpg

Discuss.