Is this a good counseling program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope that some of the LMHC's chime in. I am a MSW major and am not well versed in counseling programs. I quickly perused the the link you provided and then went over to the CACREP website. It may just be me, but I am not seeing that the program is accredited. What are your interests and career ambitions? What draws you to this particular program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If it's not CACREP accredited don't even consider it. Tricare was planning to make a move away from allowing counselors from Non-CACREP accredited schools to panel with them. I think they postponed that decision after a lot of lobbying from various counseling groups, but the decision was only postponed and not ruled out altogether. I have even heard that some states require graduation from a CACREP program in order to be eligible for licensure (eg: OH, in FL you have to have graduated from a CACREP "equivalent" program).

Reactions: 1 user
It's my undergrad institution. Whenever I mention CACREP to anyone at my school, they look at me like I'm crazy and that it's not a big deal.

If it's not CACREP accredited don't even consider it. Tricare was planning to make a move away from allowing counselors from Non-CACREP accredited schools to panel with them. I think they postponed that decision after a lot of lobbying from various counseling groups, but the decision was only postponed and not ruled out altogether. I have even heard that some states require graduation from a CACREP program in order to be eligible for licensure (eg: OH, in FL you have to have graduated from a CACREP "equivalent" program).

I would just like to say thanks for posting this. Nearly every time I have mentioned this in the past, about a dozen counselors will chime in and say that I'm wrong. No matter how many time I posts links to Tricare itself stating the above, people always argue with me. It is nice to see someone else knows about insurance haha. And Licensing! Why is it so hard to understand that licensing is different in every state, and you should really look at your state's requirements (and states that you might want to move to) before you pick a school.