Is this a good decision making career for me to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ran28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been serious about this for a while as im a senior in high school and planning to take some pre-reqs at a CC since i cant afford a UNi right now. Its something im very serious about.

But....I've been hearing about how in the long run choosing pharmacy isn't a good choice because of ther over saturation of the indsutry/schools, and though there us a demand, the market will be over filled with pharmacists in the next years. I also hear there are lots of oppurtunities considering retail, pharmacists, clinical pharmacist, but they wont counteract the saturation.

I apologize if this thread as been made, i tried searching for one and i coudn't find one. Sorry for typos/grammar.

Members don't see this ad.

Similar things can be said for any profession to which you can apply yourself, you know? I mean, the whole idea of 'recession proof' has kind of gone out the window since 2008. You see firefighters, police officers, teachers (hell, in CA, we're letting criminals out of jail!!!) and yes, pharmacists, being laid off... Professions that were "recession proof" traditionally are still in jeopardy. The idea here though is that the amount a profession is insulated is still important. As a pharmacist, you're a skilled person with a doctorate-level education and you will find employment somewhere.

I guess a good way to go about this is... what are your other options?

I've been serious about this for a while as im a senior in high school and planning to take some pre-reqs at a CC since i cant afford a UNi right now. Its something im very serious about.

But....I've been hearing about how in the long run choosing pharmacy isn't a good choice because of ther over saturation of the indsutry/schools, and though there us a demand, the market will be over filled with pharmacists in the next years. I also hear there are lots of oppurtunities considering retail, pharmacists, clinical pharmacist, but they wont counteract the saturation.

I apologize if this thread as been made, i tried searching for one and i coudn't find one. Sorry for typos/grammar.

I know i want to do something in the health field. I was thinking of dentistry actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to the people who keep posting here about how the world is ending because the shortage may be over. They're just a bunch of whiny pansys.

You won't be able to walk into any pharmacy and find a job, but you definitely won't be without a job. The role of a pharmacist in a patient's care is greatly expanding on top of it.

The 'saturation' of pharmacists you hear of is VERY regional. The region of the country I reside in still has a bit of a shortage.

One word of advice though.

Don't pick your profession based upon whether you think you'll be able to find jobs under every rock or how much money you'll make. Choose it because you're truly interested in it. You'll be much happier in the long run.

I am in the same situation like you. I got accepted into 0-6 pharmacy programs. I still decide whether or not to take this opportunity.
Some of THREADS about future of pharmacist career on this forum has scared a lot of pre-pharmacy students.
I know that all of pre-pharmacy students do love to learn to become good pharmacists but we still want to have a job to able to pay all loans back.

Also, I has emailed a message about my situation to some pharmacy students & pharmacists on this forum. Most of the messages are supportive for my decision. I love the way people care for each other. I think that's also a reason why they should be pharmacists.

I know i want to do something in the health field. I was thinking of dentistry actually.

Dentistry is great IF you can get into an Ortho residency...that my friend is a BIG IF! :laugh:

What's it gonna matter anyway, the world is going to end in 2012 so lets just get drunk and party!

With the glut of graduates, the way to stand out of the competition is three fold:

1. Good looks and physique. Pharmacists all know that beta blockers are used for HTN. Not all pharmacists are good looking.

2. Whistle-blowing. In some states, there is a handsome bounty for ratting out your fellow colleagues for doing anything illegal.

3. You better have family or friends in the business. There is no way you're going to get a job by submitting 200 applications online. HR doesn't have the time nor resources to sift through all those CV's.

If you haven't already, I would suggest getting first-hand experience in a pharmacy. I don't mean volunteering, I mean experience as a technician. You'll be doing nearly everything a pharmacist does with the exception of several pharmacist-specific tasks such as counseling, verifying prescriptions, taking medication orders, etc. Then, after you get some exposure to the field, it will you give you a better sense of whether you should pursue pharmacy or not. I've worked as a technician for CVS for 2 years. I love it, even though there's ups and downs. However, my passion for pharmacy has strengthened due to my experiences and I can't wait until the day I get to work at CVS as a pharmacist.